July 24, 2014, 02:34:34 AM

Author Topic: 1D X - 1 Thing you would Add or CHANGE? either physically or Firmware  (Read 19357 times)

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: 1D X - 1 Thing you would Add or CHANGE? either physically or Firmware
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2014, 06:03:40 AM »
Someone should make WiFi batteries for it....

I have not yet ever needed more than the two batteries I have, but it has been very close on one or two occasions. The ability to recharge them using some form of magic like WiFi would be amazing!  8)

Not exactly what I meant. I meant that instead of using the Canon Wifi adapter or wifi memory cards, one can insert a battery with built in wifi instead. That way we don't have to add the bulk of the transmitter.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2014, 06:03:40 AM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2014, 06:48:26 AM »

I have not yet ever needed more than the two batteries I have, but it has been very close on one or two occasions. The ability to recharge them using some form of magic like WiFi would be amazing!  8)

Not exactly what I meant. I meant that instead of using the Canon Wifi adapter or wifi memory cards, one can insert a battery with built in wifi instead. That way we don't have to add the bulk of the transmitter.

Ah ok. Sorry, I misunderstood. Your idea is a very good one, I have no idea whether it is technically possible, or not, but it sounds good.

I would still like Canon to find a way for me to charge my batteries when I am on a pitch or wherever. Maybe a solar charger or something else. I know I could leave the charger and battery plugged into an outlet in the media centre or such like, but quite a few things go walkabout when you do that! It is only really for all day events, but still. I guess I could just buy a third battery.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2014, 04:14:31 AM »

Ah ok. Sorry, I misunderstood. Your idea is a very good one, I have no idea whether it is technically possible, or not, but it sounds good.

I would still like Canon to find a way for me to charge my batteries when I am on a pitch or wherever. Maybe a solar charger or something else. I know I could leave the charger and battery plugged into an outlet in the media centre or such like, but quite a few things go walkabout when you do that! It is only really for all day events, but still. I guess I could just buy a third battery.

I fear that the idea of using any low output form of providing electricity won't be enough for charging those batteries as used in the 1D-X. You did notice that the charger provided by Canon is not the same as with a 7D or 5D Mark III. Technically I don't believe it is feasible to load those batteries in a reasonable time-frame outside of using a regular power plug. A small solar charger or something like that won't do. A large array of solar panels certainly will do, but then you again will operate within normal conditions, so I don't expect anything you can carry about will do except for that extra battery.

Personally I have never had reason to use more than two batteries with my 1D-X, but perhaps I just don't shoot enough frames and especially videos per day.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2014, 04:31:15 AM »
I fear that the idea of using any low output form of providing electricity won't be enough for charging those batteries as used in the 1D-X. You did notice that the charger provided by Canon is not the same as with a 7D or 5D Mark III. Technically I don't believe it is feasible to load those batteries in a reasonable time-frame outside of using a regular power plug. A small solar charger or something like that won't do. A large array of solar panels certainly will do, but then you again will operate within normal conditions, so I don't expect anything you can carry about will do except for that extra battery.

Personally I have never had reason to use more than two batteries with my 1D-X, but perhaps I just don't shoot enough frames and especially videos per day.

Thanks for the info. I agree with you, and like I said earlier, I have never needed more than two batteries in a day, though it has been close at a few all day sporting events. When that happens I am just a little more careful as the day drags on. A third battery would give me peace of mind for those days I guess, but would not be something I would use an awful lot.

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2014, 10:46:43 AM »
I'd like 2-3 more C# settings.
I don't have mine yet (it's coming today or tomorrow), but it would be nice to have 5 or 6 C modes and to be able to label them - Studio, Portrait, Landscape, Action, etc.  Okay I guess that sounds like the icons on the Rebel mode dial now that I type it, but you know what I mean.  Sometimes I forget which set of settings I've put in which C mode, or worse, I change them (because there aren't enough) and then I get really confused.

A (factory) super precision matte VF screen would be much appreciated as well, and an IR sensor for IR remotes.

Also, built in Arca Swiss plates on each grip - really.  It would be a lot lower profile than the RRS L-bracket.
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2014, 10:55:09 AM »
I don't have mine yet (it's coming today or tomorrow), but it would be nice to have 5 or 6 C modes and to be able to label them - Studio, Portrait, Landscape, Action, etc.  Sometimes I forget which set of settings I've put in which C mode, or worse, I change them (because there aren't enough) and then I get really confused.

Yes, it would be nice to be able to name them. BTW - you are going to love your 1D X! Choose the first pic carefully, as I imagine you may well remember it!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2014, 11:02:42 AM »
I don't have mine yet (it's coming today or tomorrow), but it would be nice to have 5 or 6 C modes and to be able to label them - Studio, Portrait, Landscape, Action, etc.  Okay I guess that sounds like the icons on the Rebel mode dial now that I type it, but you know what I mean. 

Congrats!

Unfortunately, more C# settings can't be added in firmware, because there are only three Cn 'lights' in the viewfinder display.  What they could do on the 1D X, though, is provide the ability to switch the base mode of a C# setting  (Av to M, etc.) without having to recreate the whole setting.

Having said that, I do basically what you're looking for in a different way.  I have 'groups' of C# settings - a group for general use (C1 for tripod with MLU+timer, C2 for 'static' people with a 1/125 min shutter, C3 for moving people with a 1/500 min shutter), a set appropriate for birds (Av and a slower shutter for perched, M and a fast shutter for BIF, M with flash settings for using the Better Beamer in the three C# settings), another group for sports, a group for landscapes (an HDR setting, etc.), and a couple others.  The 1-series bodies allow you to save/load settings to/from a card, and I keep all the groups on a few old (smaller) CF cards in the BR strap and in some camera bags, then I can load the set appropraiate for what I'm shooting.  So in a way, I have about 18 C# modes that I use.

I set the M.Fn button (next to the shutter) to switch modes - that cycles between the last-used regular mode (Av, Tv, M) and the C# settings.  C# settings that won't be used can be restricted so you don't cycle through them (I turn off C1/tripod for general use, for example, because if I'm setting up on a tripod I have time to enable the mode).  Makes it very fast to switch between modes.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2014, 11:02:42 AM »

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2014, 11:57:50 AM »
I don't have mine yet (it's coming today or tomorrow), but it would be nice to have 5 or 6 C modes and to be able to label them - Studio, Portrait, Landscape, Action, etc.  Okay I guess that sounds like the icons on the Rebel mode dial now that I type it, but you know what I mean. 

Congrats!

Unfortunately, more C# settings can't be added in firmware, because there are only three Cn 'lights' in the viewfinder display.  What they could do on the 1D X, though, is provide the ability to switch the base mode of a C# setting  (Av to M, etc.) without having to recreate the whole setting.

Having said that, I do basically what you're looking for in a different way.  I have 'groups' of C# settings - a group for general use (C1 for tripod with MLU+timer, C2 for 'static' people with a 1/125 min shutter, C3 for moving people with a 1/500 min shutter), a set appropriate for birds (Av and a slower shutter for perched, M and a fast shutter for BIF, M with flash settings for using the Better Beamer in the three C# settings), another group for sports, a group for landscapes (an HDR setting, etc.), and a couple others.  The 1-series bodies allow you to save/load settings to/from a card, and I keep all the groups on a few old (smaller) CF cards in the BR strap and in some camera bags, then I can load the set appropraiate for what I'm shooting.  So in a way, I have about 18 C# modes that I use.

I set the M.Fn button (next to the shutter) to switch modes - that cycles between the last-used regular mode (Av, Tv, M) and the C# settings.  C# settings that won't be used can be restricted so you don't cycle through them (I turn off C1/tripod for general use, for example, because if I'm setting up on a tripod I have time to enable the mode).  Makes it very fast to switch between modes.
Thanks and I can't wait to get it.  My RRS bracket came yesterday (love way it holds the wrench with the magnet that you had mentioned to me before) and the camera is in town, just don't know if it will get to my house today.

Also, I appreciate the information on being able to save C# settings to a CF card.  I'll have to use my old CF cards to create groups of settings.  Thanks!
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2014, 10:21:50 AM »
I would like that the camera displays which AF setting you are switching to more clearly. This only really applies to certain weather conditions and lighting, but I sometimes find it difficult to see the outer ring when I am switching quickly while looking through the view finder - even when I am looking for it. This happened to me a lot today and it was very annoying. I think they could make the outer ring thicker or larger so it is more easy to see.

Like I said, this is only a problem when you are at a game and in a rush and with very poor weather etc.

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2014, 04:15:52 PM »
I would like that the camera displays which AF setting you are switching to more clearly. This only really applies to certain weather conditions and lighting, but I sometimes find it difficult to see the outer ring when I am switching quickly while looking through the view finder - even when I am looking for it. This happened to me a lot today and it was very annoying. I think they could make the outer ring thicker or larger so it is more easy to see.

Like I said, this is only a problem when you are at a game and in a rush and with very poor weather etc.

Can I ask which ring you are referring to?

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2014, 09:24:42 AM »
I'm still a 1D X newbie, but so far the only thing I wish it had was the ability to switch CF cards with the "Q" button like you can do with the 5DIII.  Having to dig through the menus to swap cards is pretty annoying.  There may be a way to fix this (other than adding it to My Menu), and I'll post it if I figure it out...

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2014, 10:27:33 AM »
I'm still a 1D X newbie, but so far the only thing I wish it had was the ability to switch CF cards with the "Q" button like you can do with the 5DIII.  Having to dig through the menus to swap cards is pretty annoying.  There may be a way to fix this (other than adding it to My Menu), and I'll post it if I figure it out...

Press the lowest button on the left side and change with the small scroller wheel on top.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2014, 10:45:45 AM »

Use the Card/Image Size button.  By default, that setting uses the rear LCD panel (the little one at the bottom, next to the button) to change what's recorded to each card and at what quality, and which card is used for playback.  You can use C.Fn4 to change that so the main LCD display shows the setting information (it's the same menu you get on the 5DIII, I think).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2014, 10:45:45 AM »

Jim Saunders

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
I'd pay a reasonable sum for a locking lens release button.  Seriously, four or five figures for glass, and it comes off that easily?

Jim
I'd probably do better to invest more time and less money.

BL

• 7D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2014, 12:08:27 PM »
I would have loved to have an ST-E3 integrated with the camera.
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2014, 12:08:27 PM »