October 20, 2014, 08:17:05 AM

Author Topic: 1D X - 1 Thing you would Add or CHANGE? either physically or Firmware  (Read 22200 times)

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
Re: 1D X - 1 Thing you would Add or CHANGE? either physically or Firmware
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2014, 12:16:17 PM »
I'm still a 1D X newbie, but so far the only thing I wish it had was the ability to switch CF cards with the "Q" button like you can do with the 5DIII.  Having to dig through the menus to swap cards is pretty annoying.  There may be a way to fix this (other than adding it to My Menu), and I'll post it if I figure it out...

Use the Card/Image Size button.  By default, that setting uses the rear LCD panel (the little one at the bottom, next to the button) to change what's recorded to each card and at what quality, and which card is used for playback.  You can use C.Fn4 to change that so the main LCD display shows the setting information (it's the same menu you get on the 5DIII, I think).
Thanks!  I knew there had to be some way to do it, and of course you had the answer :).  That was really frustrating me so I really appreciate the help.

My next challenge - calibrating my lenses with FoCal in Manual mode.  Since my RC-1 won't work with it and my Canon RS-80N3 never worked (but Canon gladly charged me $200 to replace the socket in my 5DII >:(), I tried focusing and tripping the shutter by hand.  I ended up with results that were either Poor, Acceptable, or Excellent.  I think I'll get a cheap Fotodiox remote this time, but I might give the EOS Utility and "Quick Focus" a shot in the meantime.

Back to the thread, how about HDR like the 5DIII?  I haven't played with it too much, but after seeing some of Arthur Morris' work and this article on the CPN blog by Gary Schmid, I'm going to give it a try next time I'm in a situation like that. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2014, 12:16:17 PM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2014, 03:08:12 PM »
I would like that the camera displays which AF setting you are switching to more clearly. This only really applies to certain weather conditions and lighting, but I sometimes find it difficult to see the outer ring when I am switching quickly while looking through the view finder - even when I am looking for it. This happened to me a lot today and it was very annoying. I think they could make the outer ring thicker or larger so it is more easy to see.

Like I said, this is only a problem when you are at a game and in a rush and with very poor weather etc.

Can I ask which ring you are referring to?

Sorry I was very tired yesterday. The term I was looking for was the 61 point automatic selection AF, and it is not a ring but four brackets which surround the AF points in the view finder. To be honest I had not come across this problem before but at a certain set piece in a game I was using AF point expansion (8 points) and then had to switch rapidly back to the 61 point thing. I found that doing this in the poor weather, and at speed, it was often difficult for me to see when I had the right setting. I tried adding and deleting things to the AF choices I am given but that did not help.

It is not a big deal, but I wish those brackets were more obvious (which they are most of the time).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:24:44 PM by expatinasia »
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2014, 03:16:30 PM »
My next challenge - calibrating my lenses with FoCal in Manual mode.  Since my RC-1 won't work with it and my Canon RS-80N3 never worked (but Canon gladly charged me $200 to replace the socket in my 5DII >:(), I tried focusing and tripping the shutter by hand.  I ended up with results that were either Poor, Acceptable, or Excellent.  I think I'll get a cheap Fotodiox remote this time, but I might give the EOS Utility and "Quick Focus" a shot in the meantime.

I just use the 2-sec timer, I find it works fine. 

You might consider a wireless remote, I use the hähnel Giga T Pro II and it works very well.  Or, if you have a pair of 600EX's or a 600 and an ST-E3-RT, you can use that to remotely trigger the camera.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2014, 04:03:21 PM »

I just use the 2-sec timer, I find it works fine. 

You might consider a wireless remote, I use the hähnel Giga T Pro II and it works very well.  Or, if you have a pair of 600EX's or a 600 and an ST-E3-RT, you can use that to remotely trigger the camera.
Hmm, I tried the 2s timer and it worked fine for most of the lenses, but the extender combinations are where I had trouble.  I think I'll try the wireless trigger as well, though it would be nice if Canon would just add the AFMA into the SDK.  They added it for the 6D, so it seems bizarre that they would not have it for the 5DIII and 1D X, the two bodies that are most likely to see AFMA use...

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2014, 04:38:37 PM »
I would like that the camera displays which AF setting you are switching to more clearly. This only really applies to certain weather conditions and lighting, but I sometimes find it difficult to see the outer ring when I am switching quickly while looking through the view finder - even when I am looking for it. This happened to me a lot today and it was very annoying. I think they could make the outer ring thicker or larger so it is more easy to see.

Like I said, this is only a problem when you are at a game and in a rush and with very poor weather etc.

Can I ask which ring you are referring to?

Sorry I was very tired yesterday. The term I was looking for was the 61 point automatic selection AF, and it is not a ring but four brackets which surround the AF points in the view finder. To be honest I had not come across this problem before but at a certain set piece in a game I was using AF point expansion (8 points) and then had to switch rapidly back to the 61 point thing. I found that doing this in the poor weather, and at speed, it was often difficult for me to see when I had the right setting. I tried adding and deleting things to the AF choices I am given but that did not help.

It is not a big deal, but I wish those brackets were more obvious (which they are most of the time).

Ah, I see. I removed the 61 pt auto select and zone AF when I bought the camera. I switched it on and see what you mean. What a out if you set your AE lock button for the 61 pt and AF ON for your other often used AF operation?

I do that with two separate AF cases.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2014, 11:20:56 PM »
Ah, I see. I removed the 61 pt auto select and zone AF when I bought the camera. I switched it on and see what you mean. What a out if you set your AE lock button for the 61 pt and AF ON for your other often used AF operation?

I do that with two separate AF cases.

Thanks. My AE lock switches to One Shot and I like it that way. No problem, hopefully someone from Canon may see this thread and address the issue - even if it is a minor one.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2014, 09:53:17 PM »
yes...i would add an intervalometer.
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2014, 09:53:17 PM »

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2014, 01:48:27 PM »
If it hasn't been mentioned, a Silent Burst mode, like the 5DIII. 

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2014, 04:59:46 PM »
I'd like 2-3 more C# settings.

me too!

How would you remember what they are ? I have trouble remembering 3 !

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2014, 07:33:37 PM »

me too!

You could write it down on your smartphone. Smartphones are being used as external memory for the Human brain for so many things, one more won't be an issue.

Dave Williams

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2014, 07:09:16 AM »

It has and so would I !
The silent shutter single shot makes more noise than the 1D1V , a step backwards. For wildlife shooting it's a real problem and I would imagine for events like weddings it's problematic too.

I would also like to see the available focus points cover a wider part of the screen too.

FEBS

• EOS M2
  • Action & Sports
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2014, 07:55:40 AM »
The ability to set a button to jump RIGHT into flash settings.
I can't believe there isn't even the option in the custom functions. You have to jump through like 5 menus to get to the right flash options.

I only need 2 buttons for it: first press menu. I have setup the menu so that it directly jumps to the "my menu" screen after pushing menu. At the top I have customized the Flash setup. So just push set afterwards are there I have the flash menu. I did customize this on my 5D3 and 1Dx.
Camera: 1Dx, 5D3, 7D, 300D  | Prime:14 2.8Lii, 24 1.4Lii, 50 1.4, 85 1.2Lii, 100 2.8Lmacro, 300 2.8Lii | Zoom: 16-35 4.0L, 24-105 4.0L, 70-200 2.8Lii, 200-400 1.4x 4.0L | TS-E 24 3.5Lii | Other: 1.4xIII, 2.0xIII, 2x YN568, 6x YN560iii,  YN622TX, 6x YN622, 2x YN560TX, 6x YN603, CamRanger, ...

FEBS

• EOS M2
  • Action & Sports
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2014, 08:04:02 AM »
I don't have mine yet (it's coming today or tomorrow), but it would be nice to have 5 or 6 C modes and to be able to label them - Studio, Portrait, Landscape, Action, etc.  Okay I guess that sounds like the icons on the Rebel mode dial now that I type it, but you know what I mean. 

Congrats!

Unfortunately, more C# settings can't be added in firmware, because there are only three Cn 'lights' in the viewfinder display.  What they could do on the 1D X, though, is provide the ability to switch the base mode of a C# setting  (Av to M, etc.) without having to recreate the whole setting.

Having said that, I do basically what you're looking for in a different way.  I have 'groups' of C# settings - a group for general use (C1 for tripod with MLU+timer, C2 for 'static' people with a 1/125 min shutter, C3 for moving people with a 1/500 min shutter), a set appropriate for birds (Av and a slower shutter for perched, M and a fast shutter for BIF, M with flash settings for using the Better Beamer in the three C# settings), another group for sports, a group for landscapes (an HDR setting, etc.), and a couple others.  The 1-series bodies allow you to save/load settings to/from a card, and I keep all the groups on a few old (smaller) CF cards in the BR strap and in some camera bags, then I can load the set appropraiate for what I'm shooting.  So in a way, I have about 18 C# modes that I use.

I set the M.Fn button (next to the shutter) to switch modes - that cycles between the last-used regular mode (Av, Tv, M) and the C# settings.  C# settings that won't be used can be restricted so you don't cycle through them (I turn off C1/tripod for general use, for example, because if I'm setting up on a tripod I have time to enable the mode).  Makes it very fast to switch between modes.

+1 on more C# modes. And yes they could solve that on the 1Dx as it there is fully digital, so only software and not depending on a dial button with fix choices on top. The display issue could be solved as follow:
1: C1
2: C2
3: C3
4: C3+C1
5: C3+C2
6: C3+C2+C1

That seems logical to me to follow, and is a changement that just would need only a firmware modification.
And adding a label as Macguyver proposed would really be great.
Camera: 1Dx, 5D3, 7D, 300D  | Prime:14 2.8Lii, 24 1.4Lii, 50 1.4, 85 1.2Lii, 100 2.8Lmacro, 300 2.8Lii | Zoom: 16-35 4.0L, 24-105 4.0L, 70-200 2.8Lii, 200-400 1.4x 4.0L | TS-E 24 3.5Lii | Other: 1.4xIII, 2.0xIII, 2x YN568, 6x YN560iii,  YN622TX, 6x YN622, 2x YN560TX, 6x YN603, CamRanger, ...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2014, 08:04:02 AM »

e17paul

• Rebel T5i
  • Keen amateur, film & digital. Mac addict too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2014, 08:34:50 AM »

me too!

How about named custom settings accessible via a rear touchscreen, instead of numbered on a dial. Memory problem solved.
6D, 5(film)x2, 650(film)x2, Canonet QL19, EF 15/2.8, 24/2.8 IS, 50/2.5 & 70-300/4-5.6L
Fotodiox Pro OM/Eos adapter, Olympus OM-10, Zuiko 24/2.8, 50/1.4 & 135/2.8, Ensinor 28/2.8, XA/2, Mju 410
Apple iPhone 6 & iPad 2. I've only listed the equipment I still use for photography!

ERHP

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • ERH Photography
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2014, 09:39:37 AM »

This is one feature I miss from the 5D MK III.  Having the high FPS is awesome but occasionally I have wildlife come much closer, i.e. doe with fawns, and the machine gun does tend to make them scatter.
Canon 1D X / 5D MK III and some lenses

http://erhp.smugmug.com/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2014, 09:39:37 AM »