July 24, 2014, 05:31:35 AM

Author Topic: Canon 7D - should i wait or not?  (Read 8383 times)

darkcloud154

  • Guest
Canon 7D - should i wait or not?
« on: September 30, 2012, 08:20:56 AM »
I have decided to upgrade my current kit to a higher spec Canon 7D body. The reason i have chosen this is i want a camera for sports shooting and wildlife photography and the 7D seems to be the best kit in the current non pro range with the highest fps.

I have 2 pondering points...

1. the camera was released in 2009, surely that means there will be an upgrade in 2013....is it worth waiting or buying it now based on its price

2. the camera uses compact flash, now im used to using sd cards. Is CF something that is phasing out or is it a better writing medium for fast transfer?? I see the higher spec canon camera's such as the 1D still use compact flash.


Thanks

canon rumors FORUM

Canon 7D - should i wait or not?
« on: September 30, 2012, 08:20:56 AM »

candyman

  • 1D X
  • *******
  • Posts: 1064
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 7D - should i wait or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 09:43:15 AM »
Hello darkcloud154,

Welcome to the forums.

If you want to shoot sports and wildlife today, get the 7D today. I am using it and I am very pleased by the performance. It just got a firmware update and the camera can hold out until 2013 (I believe longer as well)

The CF card is a stayer since the performance is very very good. Especially for sports. Look at the Lexar 1000x

So if you want to shoot today, go and get it
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

DB

  • Guest
Re: Canon 7D - should i wait or not?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 10:24:51 AM »
I upgraded from a Rebel series to a 7D in 2011 and would recommend it right away. There are 2 problems with waiting for a newer model: (1) we don't know when it will be announced or ready to ship (could be early-2013 or late-2013 assuming there is one next year), and (2) the price will be a lot higher than the current 7D (could be as much as 1000 more).

Add to this that used 7D prices are only a couple of hundred below full retail and then the real question that you need to ask yourself is: "Should I buy a 7D today with a view to trading it in 1-year's time at a cost to me of 4 to 5 bucks a week in anticipated depreciation?"

Most people would find that a much easier question to answer.

2n10

  • 7D
  • *****
  • Posts: 345
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 7D - should i wait or not?
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 10:33:49 AM »
Hello darkcloud154,

Welcome to the forums.

If you want to shoot sports and wildlife today, get the 7D today. I am using it and I am very pleased by the performance. It just got a firmware update and the camera can hold out until 2013 (I believe longer as well)

The CF card is a stayer since the performance is very very good. Especially for sports. Look at the Lexar 1000x

So if you want to shoot today, go and get it

I upgraded from a Rebel series to a 7D in 2011 and would recommend it right away. There are 2 problems with waiting for a newer model: (1) we don't know when it will be announced or ready to ship (could be early-2013 or late-2013 assuming there is one next year), and (2) the price will be a lot higher than the current 7D (could be as much as 1000 more).

Add to this that used 7D prices are only a couple of hundred below full retail and then the real question that you need to ask yourself is: "Should I buy a 7D today with a view to trading it in 1-year's time at a cost to me of 4 to 5 bucks a week in anticipated depreciation?"

Most people would find that a much easier question to answer.

+1 to both of these.  Get the camera and start enjoying now.  I just upgraded a few weeks ago and couldn't be any happier.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:35:29 AM by 2n10 »
Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

albron00

  • Rebel SL1
  • ***
  • Posts: 86
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 7D - should i wait or not?
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 11:34:33 AM »
This summer spontaneously I've sold my two years old 7D to upgrade to something better, faster, with even more performance and I've got brand new... 7D!
I did not find in Canon's line anything better then that (price 5Dm3 was too high and still remains unreasonable high)
Get 7D and you won't regret it.

DaveQ

  • Power Shot G16
  • **
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 7D - should i wait or not?
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 12:05:47 PM »
As the other members have agreed, get the 7D! It is a wonderful addition to any photog's arsenal. Mine compliments my 5D MkII perfectly...the 7D for Sports and Wildlife (8fps and 1.6 crop for longer reach) and the 5D MkII Full Frame Sensor for Studio/Still Life, Portraits and Landscapes, etc.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 12:07:22 PM by DaveQ »

pierceography

  • EOS M2
  • ****
  • Posts: 230
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 7D - should i wait or not?
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 12:24:45 PM »
I highly recommend the 7D.  I recently upgraded to a 5Dm3, and had originally intended on selling the 7D to finance the upgrade.  But once I got my hands on the 5Dm3, I realized I would miss my 7D too much to sell it.

Reasons:

1) 8fps is great for sports and action photography.  Unless you want to shell out another $5,000 for a 1DX, you won't beat the fps the 7D offers.
2) Solid AF.  It's *only* 19 points, but AF is still very quick, and I can move between the 7D and 5Dm3 and still feel like I'm not losing much when I'm on the 7D.
3) It's simply the best crop body out there.  If Canon does refresh the 7D line (there's speculation they may not even introduce a mark ii, though I think they will), it won't be anytime soon.  And as it's been pointed out that given Canon's pricing strategy, it will likely be a big price jump.

And honestly, my wish list for the new 7D isn't even that much... It's still a great camera.
5D mark III, 7D, Sigma 12-24mm II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.2L II, 100mm f/2.8L, 135mm f/2L, 2x TC III

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Canon 7D - should i wait or not?
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 12:24:45 PM »

RC

  • 6D
  • *****
  • Posts: 607
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 7D - should i wait or not?
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 02:45:25 PM »
I highly recommend the 7D.  I recently upgraded to a 5Dm3, and had originally intended on selling the 7D to finance the upgrade.  But once I got my hands on the 5Dm3, I realized I would miss my 7D too much to sell it.
Was in exact same boat.  I recently posted my 7D on CL to help finance a 5D3.  Ad has been deleted and I'm keeping my 7D and adding a 5D3.

Reasons:

1) 8fps is great for sports and action photography.  Unless you want to shell out another $5,000 for a 1DX, you won't beat the fps the 7D offers.
2) Solid AF.  It's *only* 19 points, but AF is still very quick, and I can move between the 7D and 5Dm3 and still feel like I'm not losing much when I'm on the 7D.
3) It's simply the best crop body out there.  If Canon does refresh the 7D line (there's speculation they may not even introduce a mark ii, though I think they will), it won't be anytime soon.  And as it's been pointed out that given Canon's pricing strategy, it will likely be a big price jump.

And honestly, my wish list for the new 7D isn't even that much... It's still a great camera.

Dido, dido

Get a 7D now, prices are very good.  You might want to even wait for the holidays, maybe there will be a rebate on bodies and maybe the 6D will push prices down a bit.

CharlieB

  • Canon 70D
  • ****
  • Posts: 302
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 7D - should i wait or not?
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 02:46:14 PM »
I doubt that the "new"  7Dmk-X will be priced any higher than the current 6D.

If you want a 7D, and can wait a little... new 7D prices should fall a little more when a new model is announced.
Look at the 5DmkII which has gone from $2199 to $1799 between June and Sept of 2012.

Chris_prophotographic

  • Rebel T5i
  • ****
  • Posts: 111
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 7D - should i wait or not?
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 04:15:57 PM »
7D today ,   


YOU MISS 100% OF THE SHOTS YOU DO NOT TAKE!!!
1D X, 7D, 70-200mm MK II, 24 L MK II, 35 L, 10-22, 40mm,  Samyang 8mm, 50 1.8 mk II, PW II's
PW III's , MultiMax's, TT5's 580 II's, SB-28's

nicku

  • Canon 70D
  • ****
  • Posts: 299
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 7D - should i wait or not?
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 05:02:08 PM »
I have decided to upgrade my current kit to a higher spec Canon 7D body. The reason i have chosen this is i want a camera for sports shooting and wildlife photography and the 7D seems to be the best kit in the current non pro range with the highest fps.

I have 2 pondering points...

1. the camera was released in 2009, surely that means there will be an upgrade in 2013....is it worth waiting or buying it now based on its price

2. the camera uses compact flash, now im used to using sd cards. Is CF something that is phasing out or is it a better writing medium for fast transfer?? I see the higher spec canon camera's such as the 1D still use compact flash.


Thanks

I use a 7D for my work ( paid work)

A short review of 7D after 16k images shot and used to earn $$ :

Pro:

- very fast and accurate AF ( compared with rebel, 40,50,60D and 5D2)
- sharp images for product, portrait, relative close photography (max. 10 m) when you use (only when) high quality lenses and in camera AFMA.
- Good resolution ( 18MP)
- very fast shutter burst ( 8 fps)
- very good battery life ( over 800 shoots)
- Very good body construction and features
- good colors output
- I get good DOF and sharp subject when using my Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX HSM for portraits; even at f/2; way over Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM.

Cons:

- noisy over ISO 1600 ( I use the camera at max ISO 400 because my work don't request higher sensitivity)
- you must use ONLY high end lenses and shoot RAW for maximum results
- You must apply some NR even at ISO100
- under average results in landscape photography ( 7D is not made for landscape photography)

so.... if you want a all around camera at a good price go for 7D (or 6D). The 7Dmk2 will certainly be over $2K and the current 6D AF is ridiculous.

expatinasia

  • 1D Mark IV
  • ******
  • Posts: 894
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 7D - should i wait or not?
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 01:07:15 AM »
darkcloud154 - what equipment (especially lenses) do you have now?

If I was starting out I would probably be looking at all options, Nikon and Sony included.

If you have some good glass then switching brands can be difficult.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

AmbientLight

  • 6D
  • *****
  • Posts: 490
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 7D - should i wait or not?
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 07:23:44 AM »
In case you upgrade from a XXD or XXXD Canon you will absolutely love the 7D. You will find its limitations only, when you compare it to full-frame cameras like a 5D or 1D (or the upcoming 6D). If these are out of reach financially, then at least in my opinion there is still no better choice compared to the 7D.

Nevertheless you may also take a look at the 60D. I still prefer the 7D, though, because of the more robust construction and weather sealing.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Canon 7D - should i wait or not?
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 07:23:44 AM »

akiskev

  • 7D
  • *****
  • Posts: 326
    • View Profile
    • My flickr gallery
Re: Canon 7D - should i wait or not?
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 08:09:13 AM »
Good points made in this topic!

I am thinking about buying a (used) 7D  or waiting another year too.. The only problem I have with the current model is High ISO (above 1600) performance..
I'd like a new 7D with high ISO performance that would be close to the one you get from a 5d mkII.

I usually shoot in low light situations and I need relatively high shutter speeds too (thank God I have access to a 5d mkII)..
Hope that the new Canon aps-c sensor will do the trick! At least I hope that it will be significantly better than the old one!
Flickr | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L
Zeiss 35mm f/2.4 | Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 200mm f/2.8 | Zeiss 80-200 f/4

jthomson

  • Rebel T5i
  • ****
  • Posts: 148
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 7D - should i wait or not?
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 10:05:05 AM »
Unless you need the 7D right away then wait.
I too am looking to upgrade from a T1i,  and the obvious path is the 7D. 
I'm waiting for the 7D2 at this point as i expect it will give better sensor performance than the 7D.
The price of a used 7D will drop when the new model comes out so if the new model isn't better then I can get a 7D cheap.  Until then I will continue shooting with my existing gear missing the occaisional photo that the better AF and speed of the 7D would capture.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Canon 7D - should i wait or not?
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 10:05:05 AM »