I have decided to upgrade my current kit to a higher spec Canon 7D body. The reason i have chosen this is i want a camera for sports shooting and wildlife photography and the 7D seems to be the best kit in the current non pro range with the highest fps.
I have 2 pondering points...
1. the camera was released in 2009, surely that means there will be an upgrade in 2013....is it worth waiting or buying it now based on its price
2. the camera uses compact flash, now im used to using sd cards. Is CF something that is phasing out or is it a better writing medium for fast transfer?? I see the higher spec canon camera's such as the 1D still use compact flash.
I use a 7D for my work ( paid work)
A short review of 7D after 16k images shot and used to earn $$ :
- very fast and accurate AF ( compared with rebel, 40,50,60D and 5D2)
- sharp images for product, portrait, relative close photography (max. 10 m) when you use (only when) high quality lenses and in camera AFMA.
- Good resolution ( 18MP)
- very fast shutter burst ( 8 fps)
- very good battery life ( over 800 shoots)
- Very good body construction and features
- good colors output
- I get good DOF and sharp subject when using my Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX HSM for portraits; even at f/2; way over Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM.
- noisy over ISO 1600 ( I use the camera at max ISO 400 because my work don't request higher sensitivity)
- you must use ONLY high end lenses and shoot RAW for maximum results
- You must apply some NR even at ISO100
- under average results in landscape photography ( 7D is not made for landscape photography)
so.... if you want a all around camera at a good price go for 7D (or 6D). The 7Dmk2 will certainly be over $2K and the current 6D AF is ridiculous.