November 25, 2014, 11:45:26 PM

Author Topic: Canon 7D - should i wait or not?  (Read 8974 times)

leadphoto

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 7D - should i wait or not?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 11:13:12 AM »
I second the idea of maybe looking at the 60d if you don't worry as much about the weather sealing (even though I accidentally left the 60d outside in a light rain on a time lapse and it survived).  I feel the actual image quality difference is negligible between that and the 7d (especially at higher ISO).  I've used mine for paid shoots and adding a grip gives it a nice feel regardless of the plastic change from 50d.  I feel like too many people dump on the 60D but I feel like its a nice option.  Of course if price wasn't an option I would have chosen the 7d straight out due to the additional features but at the time the 600 dollar difference made the decision easier.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 11:13:12 AM »

aj1575

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 11:40:36 AM »
I have decided to upgrade my current kit to a higher spec Canon 7D body. The reason i have chosen this is i want a camera for sports shooting and wildlife photography and the 7D seems to be the best kit in the current non pro range with the highest fps.

I'm also looking to upgrade my kit. At the moment I'm using a EOS 350D (2006 model); with some nice lenses (EF-S 10-22; EF 35 f2, EF 50 f1.4; 70-200 f4 IS). I know my kit, and its limitations, and I'm quite happy with the pictures. Sure, there is some noise even at low ISO, and the AF-System is also quite dated. But as I said, I know my eqiupment and how to work with it.

I was hoping for a 60D / 7D replacement at the photokina, since both cameras are at a point where they need a refresh. It seems this is pushed back to spring 2013. I will wait until then, because I don't like to buy a camera now (even if the price is okay now), and switch again next spring, because a better camera comes out then.

If you need your kit to earn some cash, then switch, if it is only your hobby, then wait.

DavidGMiles

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • NaturesLens
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 11:47:08 AM »
I pulled the trigger and bought a 7D - no announcement imminently forced my hand - the firmware update adds a lot to the camera - I have no regrets whatsoever as the new one will no doubt be a lot more than the street price of the current body
Workshops & Tours for Wildlife & Nature Photography - NaturesLens - http://natureslens.co.uk - often to be found shooting with a 1DX mainly coupled to an EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x or an EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Sitting Elf

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 09:59:01 PM »
The OP stated that his primary use was for sports and wildlife photography.  Therefore the 7D is a no-brainer due to the available FPS (frames per second) burst capability of the 7D, along with its other excellent qualities.

Suggesting the 5D ll or lll is taking away from his ability to capture "that" shot when shooting moving targets.

The 7D is second only in FPS to the new 1DX (12-14 FPS) at $6800.  And for his use, the APS-C gives him longer reach.

Also, the CF cards are NOT phasing out. They have faster available speeds than ANY SDXC cards, and the new top of the line Canon 1DX uses two of them.  They ain't going anywhere!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:00:47 PM by Sitting Elf »

Richard8971

• Canon 6D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 10:11:44 PM »
The OP stated that his primary use was for sports and wildlife photography.  Therefore the 7D is a no-brainer due to the available FPS (frames per second) burst capability of the 7D, along with its other excellent qualities.

Suggesting the 5D ll or lll is taking away from his ability to capture "that" shot when shooting moving targets.

The 7D is second only in FPS to the new 1DX (12-14 FPS) at $6800.  And for his use, the APS-C gives him longer reach.

Also, the CF cards are NOT phasing out. They have faster available speeds than ANY SDXC cards, and the new top of the line Canon 1DX uses two of them.  They ain't going anywhere!

I would second this. The 7D is one awesome, fast camera! I could not be happier with mine and I have a 5D2 to choose from as well. I love the speed and quality of the photos I get from the 7. I am sure Canon will make a 7D2 (or some replacement for the 7D) but until then, you will not be dissapointed. The more I use my 7 the more pleased I am. It's an easy camera to learn and has features I may NEVER use! You can buy a new one for as little as $1400.00 (maybe less) and you can get refubs from Canon for like $1100.00. That is a steal for this body. Don't let the 18MP APS-C sensor scare you, it provides plenty of sharp detail.

D
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

Helevitia

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 11:18:38 PM »
I have decided to upgrade my current kit to a higher spec Canon 7D body. The reason i have chosen this is i want a camera for sports shooting and wildlife photography and the 7D seems to be the best kit in the current non pro range with the highest fps.

I have 2 pondering points...

1. the camera was released in 2009, surely that means there will be an upgrade in 2013....is it worth waiting or buying it now based on its price

2. the camera uses compact flash, now im used to using sd cards. Is CF something that is phasing out or is it a better writing medium for fast transfer?? I see the higher spec canon camera's such as the 1D still use compact flash.

Thanks

Do what I did.  I bought the 7D in May and will sell it as soon as something else comes along.  Just wait for a good deal to minimize your losses.  I bought mine for $1250 from Adorama.  It seemed like the deal and link were hidden though.  I twas weird.

FTb-n

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 12:03:15 AM »
The 60D is an underrated, but for sports and action, the 7D is cream of crop sensor bodies.  Many point to the 8fps.  While this has it's benefits, the real action advantage is with focus lock speed, focus tracking, 19 cross type focus points, and the expanded, movable single point focusing.  The expanded focus point improves servo tracking and the ability to move it quickly simplifies the  framing of your subjects.

I have both bodies and love the 60D for short zoom work where the flippy screen is sometimes used.  But, the 7D is my primary camera for all things action – including some candids where you want the camera to lock in on your subject before the moment is lost.

I shoot a lot of figure skating.  With my 60D, my in-focus success rate was about 80%.  It often had a little trouble tracking skaters when they changed direction, even with the 70-200 f2.8L II.  With the 7D, the success rate went up to 95%.  The focusing is that much better.  Remember, the 7D has two processors, one dedicated to focusing.  (The 70-200 f2.8L UMS IS II is also a stellar focus performer.)

I bought 7D through Canon's refurb store and would highly recommend that route.  As was mentioned in a previous post, it could be many months before the 7D2 is available.  If you wait, that lots of pics you'll miss.
5D3, 7D | 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 24-70 f2.8L II, 24-105 f4L IS, 35 f2 IS, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 40 f2.8...  |  PowerShot G16, S100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 12:03:15 AM »

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 01:31:48 AM »
Since you said it's for sports and wildlife then it's really a no-brainer. The 7D was made for action, and it's ergonomic design make it easy and efficient to use in the field. A lot has been said about AF, don't know if anyone mentioned the Servo mode? That's where the 19 AF points come in handy, the different AF modes like zone AF and expansion of AF points make the success rate a lot higher. Maybe the 5D mk III or 1DX are better in this respect but those are full frame, cost a lot more and for sports a 1.6x crop factor is like a free tele-converter too!

I have no experience with the 60D, I went from 550D to 7D and skipped the in betweens. The 7D feels solid in your hands and it's built like a tank. It's got some decent weather-sealing too. I'm sure the 60D is a great camera but I just didn't like the 'feel' of the grip.

I do have one complaint - noise. High ISO performance is actually good, better than my 550D for sure. I am amazed at the results at ISO 3200, I wouldn't ever have went that high before. A little NR and it looks alright. But the lower ISO can look mucky and the 7D seems to add some NR even when you switch in camera NR off. No biggie as it's only visible if you zoom to 100%. Good lighting and correct exposure will take care of it though.

Don't wait, look at what happened to the 5D II replacement. People waited for that and well .....
6D | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

Sitting Elf

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 08:49:58 AM »
Why a 7D???  This is why!  This target drone goes from 0-250MPH in 1.3 seconds. This was the 13th shot in a extended burst during the launch. The only other camera to confidently capture this shot would be the 1DX. You'd have to be really lucky with cameras that have lower burst rates. Better to guarantee that you'll get "THE" shot.

Taken on a Military Sealift Command Supply Ship supporting an International Naval Exercise near Singapore.

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 09:09:58 AM »
Get the 7D!!! You will love it uberly!!!
What is truth?

ud4steve

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 06:39:26 AM »
If you think the 7D will fit your needs then I would just get one.  I bought mine about two years ago and was very hesitant because there were all kinds of rumors that the 7D mark II was coming out within the year.  As it turns out that never happened and in the mean time I've gotten a lot of pictures that I either wouldn't have before or would have had to be lucky to get.  It's a fantastic camera and you won't regret it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 06:39:26 AM »