April 18, 2014, 08:26:19 PM

Author Topic: Sharpest Ultra-wide Lens for Full Frame  (Read 5219 times)

killswitch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Sharpest Ultra-wide Lens for Full Frame
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 06:03:12 PM »
I had some experience with this Samyang - as others said, the only thing that may annoy is the moustache-style distortion. Everything else is ok.

Tokina 16-28 / 2.8 is also worth a look.

Yeah I was looking at the 16-28 from Tokina. So, lens tip is a good source for comparison? I had no idea about this site.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 06:03:12 PM »

TriGGy

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 06:53:29 PM »
I read somewhere in the net that the 16-35mm II gets soft from 24-35mm, but I don't know if that's just the writer's perception of the lens. Better to research even more. If true, what this means is use the lens to make most out of the 16-23mm focal length and leave anything longer to the 24-70 or 24-105. 

Standard

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 07:13:54 PM »
I have the Samyang 14mm (also goes by Rokinon, Bower, Pro-Optic, Walimex...The Samyang brand cost a little more than the other brands) and it's sharp. And I mean tack sharp. I literally can read with no problem the fine print on the sides of cereal boxes at 15 plus feet when the image is zoomed in close. Sure, it's manual focus but I use it solely for landscape photography at f/16 on a sturdy Gitzo tripod so it's not an issue one bit. I simply focus using Live View at 10x and it would nailed the focus every time. I've recently installed an AF confirm chip to get correct EXIF info (quite easy to do once you'd figured it out). The only gripe I have is that the lens doesn't take filters, either on the front or rear (so the Lee Filter System and handholding filters are out of the question, although I've successfully added a homemade magnetic cutout nd filter gel on the lens back). I've looked at both the 14L II and Zeiss 15mm/18mm UW lenses (although I do love the look of the Zeiss 21mm) and this by far is the best bang for the buck with fabulous high image quality.

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 02:47:33 PM »
I currently have the Canon 60D and will upgrade to either 5D Mk III or 6D. I currently own the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 DX Pro and absolutely love it. However, once I make the jump to full frame I am contemplating buying one of the following UWA lens. I currently have the Canon 24-70L as well.

1) Canon 16-35 f2.8L
2) Canon 17-40 f4L
3) Canon 14 f2.8L II [not too eager as it's way too expensive :( ]

Though I hoped there was a 14-24 version from Canon. :(

Of the 3 mentioned, which one delivers greater contrast and sharpness. If there are any other lens from Canon or other brands that will delivers stellar sharpness in the center of the frame as well as in the corners then I am open to suggestions. Thanks in advance!

If you were will to spend for a 14-24L, Why no look at the 15mm Zeiss? Its stunning.
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 02:47:33 PM »