September 01, 2014, 11:17:36 PM

Author Topic: Nikon Sales Rising  (Read 8821 times)

RayValdez360

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Nikon Sales Rising
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2012, 07:59:51 AM »
The only  thing I can see causing this are  extremely high prices and  a lack of innovation.  I don't think the sensor stuff and DR stuff matters to the  majority of DSLR users. I know quite a few pro-photographers and not one of them  ever mentions dynamic range. It sounds like a lot of benchmarking tech  geeks are on the message board. It reminds me of how people  judge graphics cards  by using 3DMark scores  instead of actually using real games to judge their GPU.  Even though I have a 5D3, in 2012 a camera should have built in wifi and usb 3.0 for $3500. I wonder how much these cameras actually cost to  make and how much  profit would they lose by adding little modern conveniences.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2012, 07:59:51 AM »

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2012, 08:30:14 AM »
The only  thing I can see causing this are  extremely high prices and  a lack of innovation.  I don't think the sensor stuff and DR stuff matters to the  majority of DSLR users. I know quite a few pro-photographers and not one of them  ever mentions dynamic range. It sounds like a lot of benchmarking tech  geeks are on the message board. It reminds me of how people  judge graphics cards  by using 3DMark scores  instead of actually using real games to judge their GPU.  Even though I have a 5D3, in 2012 a camera should have built in wifi and usb 3.0 for $3500. I wonder how much these cameras actually cost to  make and how much  profit would they lose by adding little modern conveniences.

You are right... very few people are interested in DR ... BUT all people are interested in megapixels and ISO performance. The Nikon D800 stays better at both compared with 5D3

julescar

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2012, 08:43:04 AM »
My Wife and I run a photography business and own the D800/D800E and 2 X 5D mmiii and we use the D800 in the studio work mainly for product photography(with a tripod) and both of us prefer (and always grab) the 5D mmiii's when we are out on the road and need to move about quickly. They are far quicker to capture the moment. Both are excellent cameras.

96Brigadier

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2012, 08:45:45 AM »
Whenever I head out to the mountains (Banff, Lake Louise), I tend to see the tourists sporting shiny new Nikon bodies with only the odd Canon thrown in.  I always find that interesting.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2012, 08:47:25 AM »
... BUT all people are interested in megapixels and ISO performance. The Nikon D800 stays better at both compared with 5D3

...and AF performance and frame rate, where Canon has the edge.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2012, 12:17:20 PM »
... BUT all people are interested in megapixels and ISO performance. The Nikon D800 stays better at both compared with 5D3

...and AF performance and frame rate, where Canon has the edge.

+1 AF performance will ALWAYS be my main priority.. I can have all the detail in the world, and a slightly (and I mean slightly) OOF image makes that advantage go away. I have literally hundreds and hundreds of images that are truly insane moments that the 1d X catches that no other camera has done before. It's not that it's just quick on the trigger , it focuses subjects and images one would haven't even bothered to try catching with other cameras. And when there's such moments that are just TOO insane movements up close at f1,4, it still only misses by a centimeter, and I couldn't expect anything to catch it perfectly, BUT set it in 12 fps mode and you still get one sharp of those WAY beyond moments...

But imho, the 1d X is the only camera Canon have gotten right since the 5d2, I mean as an upgrade. The mk4 only fixed what was terribly wrong and flawed with the 1d3 and the 5d3 is a fantastic camera, but makes no improvement in IQ.

And that would be easier to take if the prices wasn't ridicolous... I mean, here in Norway the price difference of the mk4 at launch and the 1d X at launch is 2200 USD.. And now TWICE the price for the 24-70 II that is more prone to flare, way less protection for the lens barrel, bigger more expensive filters. For that price it should be better in every aspect, not just almost all. Canon must make their new products better in EVERY way and launch at the same price as the old new.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2012, 06:21:35 PM »
We have a small local Camera store which is actually run by photographers.  They sell both Nikon and Canon.  The owner tells me that Canon is much better to deal with than Nikon.  As a result, he sells more Canon Cameras even though he is happy to sell you Nikon if he can get it.  He did get a D800 for me, its a nice camera.  Lenses and service are a different story.
I'm back to a 5D MK III, its just much more usable over a wide range of applications, and I use mine tethered to a pc for product photography a lot.  Nikon loses big time there.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2012, 06:21:35 PM »

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2012, 02:03:38 AM »
Let be honest with us ( Canon users)... we add in front better Canon specs compared with Nikon; like AF, speed etc.... and yes the AF, and speed of 5D3 is better than D800.

Let's face it... OVERALL, TODAY Nikon produce better DSLR cameras than Canon. and we can't do anything (except change brands).

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2012, 03:35:14 AM »
I'm back to a 5D MK III, its just much more usable over a wide range of applications, and I use mine tethered to a pc for product photography a lot.  Nikon loses big time there.

That's one area that's usually overlooked: if you're going to use the software that comes with the camera, Canon wins BY A HUGE MARGIN.
Canon's DPP is a joy to use, simple and effective. Nikon's ViewNX is a nightmare that takes ages to update the metadata on an image and crashes more often than any other piece of commercial software I've ever used.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2012, 09:35:14 AM »
Canon's DPP is a joy to use, simple and effective. Nikon's ViewNX is a nightmare that takes ages to update the metadata on an image and crashes more often than any other piece of commercial software I've ever used.

IMO, DPP is a joy to use in much the same way that a visit to the dentist for a root canal is a pleasant experience.   :o

DPP's UI reminds me of WordStar (I know, I'm dating myself here).  If ViewNX is worse, that's pretty bad.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2012, 08:37:40 AM »
Apparently, Nikon sales is rising.

http://www.nikon.com/about/ir/ir_library/result/index.htm

Do we have any figures on Canon's sales?  I know Nikon market share is still below that of Canon but I hope Canon do something with it not only on the marketing side but also on the technology side.

how much moneys nikon did in the quarter? canon did over 900 millions usd...nikon in 6 months less than half of moneys with big hit compared with last year results while selling more...maybe they are spending a bit too much in r&d (licensing sensors from sony...lol)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 08:39:22 AM by aznable »
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2012, 06:36:39 AM »

IMO, DPP is a joy to use in much the same way that a visit to the dentist for a root canal is a pleasant experience.   :o

DPP's UI reminds me of WordStar (I know, I'm dating myself here).  If ViewNX is worse, that's pretty bad.

OK, DPP is not "a joy to use", but it's moderately fast, and it works. ViewNX can't say any of those. Real nightmare stuff.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2012, 06:36:39 AM »