August 21, 2014, 10:28:19 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS-M Begins Shipping  (Read 10766 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon EOS-M Begins Shipping
« on: October 02, 2012, 06:58:36 AM »
The little EOS is on its way
We have various reports in Asia that the Canon EOS-M has begun shipping. This is good news, as the North America release for the EOS-M of October 15, 2012 should come to fruition.

We’re still waiting to see some good and thorough reviews of the new camera system, but they should be coming sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Canon EOS-M $799 at Amazon | Adorama | B&H Photo

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon EOS-M Begins Shipping
« on: October 02, 2012, 06:58:36 AM »

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS-M Begins Shipping
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 07:33:07 AM »
Horay! It's finally shipping, but who in their right mind would buy such a system? An entry level camera and two lenses looked sparse before Photokina; it looks like too little, too late now.  What on earth can you achieve with this system that you cannot get from Fuji, NEX, or even micro-4/3rds? EOS compatibility -there's even an AF capable adaptor for NEX available now.  Sorry Canon, unless you can show us that you have great plans ahead for EOS-M, you've lost the enthusiast vote.  I hope there's a lot of young women in their 20s and metrosexual men looking for a cute camera for Christmas...

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 08:02:04 AM »
Horay! It's finally shipping, but who in their right mind would buy such a system? An entry level camera and two lenses looked sparse before Photokina; it looks like too little, too late now.  What on earth can you achieve with this system that you cannot get from Fuji, NEX, or even micro-4/3rds? EOS compatibility -there's even an AF capable adaptor for NEX available now.  Sorry Canon, unless you can show us that you have great plans ahead for EOS-M, you've lost the enthusiast vote.  I hope there's a lot of young women in their 20s and metrosexual men looking for a cute camera for Christmas...

And Canon will sell thousands without a problem. But yes, the price is waaay high for what this will deliver, somehow to justify the sensor, which is still "the mighty 7D sensor!" Hey, it's a 3 year old sensor that's being outperformed left and right, and I can get a used 7D for the same price... ohh it's because I don't want the bulk of a DSLR, so I'll limit my capabilities but at the same price point.

PeterJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 08:04:03 AM »
Love the front page photo, with a decent lens mounted looks about as absurd and unbalanced as I'd imagined it would.

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 08:20:29 AM »
How do you hold this thing, I don't get it. If size is an issue whats wrong with the rebel series, they fit in a handbag easily, so I've seen. And doesn't the lens size cancel out the smaller body size advantage? I guess they will make new lenses for it that are more compact. It all seems gimmicky to me! I wave my sceptical stick at it!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 08:35:20 AM by Zv »
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 08:27:39 AM »
I actually really want one. But I do hate that they didn't make it EF default. A better/bigger sensor and I'd probably go for it.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 08:36:58 AM »
If size is an issue....

Size wasn't the issue.  The issue was a market segment in which Canon had no presence, meaning potential lost revenue.

But I do hate that they didn't make it EF default.

They couldn't, realistically, since the EF mount requires a 44mm flange to sensor distance, vs. the 18mm of the EF-M mount, meaning the EOS-M would need to be a full 1" thicker.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 08:36:58 AM »

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 08:52:22 AM »
This will become more interesting when they offer a set of very small primes: 24, 35 (already here), 85, and some sort of macro. And maybe a small, video friendly zoom with power zoom etc.

Giant lenses on a little camera doesn't interest me.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 09:08:26 AM »
Giant lenses on a little camera doesn't interest me.

The problem here is that the EOS-M isn't little enough...   :P

EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

KyleSTL

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 09:52:14 AM »
I think the two most important questions will be answered when reviews start coming out:

1) How quickly and accurately does it focus?
2) How good (optically) is the 22mm f/2?

But above those two is a question only Canon can answer:

1) Where are the other lenses for the system? / Where's the road map?
Canon EOS 5D | Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 3x 420EX | ST-E2 | Canon S90 | SD600 w/ WP-DC4

simonxu11

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 10:21:11 AM »
I think the two most important questions will be answered when reviews start coming out:

1) How quickly and accurately does it focus?
2) How good (optically) is the 22mm f/2?

But above those two is a question only Canon can answer:

1) Where are the other lenses for the system? / Where's the road map?

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/canon-repeats-no-plan-to-make-any-pro-mirrorless-camera/
http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/canon-about-the-eos-m-future-no-camera-with-built-in-evf-and-no-lens-roadmap/
According to a few youtube videos, the AF is quite slow. IMO Canon just want to prevent current EOS users from buying other brands when mirrorless coming into their minds, because they can mount whatever canon lens onto this one. That's the only selling point, other than that the EOS M seems a generation behind others.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 10:25:30 AM by simonxu11 »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 10:23:14 AM »
I like the EOS M. Its a Friendly looking camera.  ;D

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 11:16:41 AM »
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn..........
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 11:16:41 AM »

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 12:02:02 PM »
How do you hold this thing, ...

Just like anyother camera. You hold the lens (and the ) weight with your left hand, same as would with a Big White mounted on a 1D3.

I don't get it. If size is an issue whats wrong with the rebel series, ...

If you "don't-get-it" the camera wasn't designed for you, and your style of shooting. Simple as that. Serious Photo Enthusiasts (SPE) seem to forget that there are other people who buy cameras.

Check-out the size difference between a Rebel 4Ti and the EOS-M here  http://camerasize.com/compare/#333,351  Smaller size = less weight "Canon EOS Rebel T4i [575 g] weights 93% (277 grams) more than Canon EOS M [298 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card)." The EOS-M, with the EF-M 22mm f/2.0 STM lens (=36mm FF) is pocketable and the Rebel 4Ti w/ an EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM (=38mm FF) isn't. It should be a great camera for "street photographers."

And doesn't the lens size cancel out the smaller body size advantage? I guess they will make new lenses for it that are more compact.

Someone at Canon's marketing department seriously screwed-up by posting shots of an EOS-M with a Big White. It sends the "wrong message," the people who buy EOS-M cameras will be as confused as the SPEs seem to be :)

It all seems gimmicky to me! I wave my sceptical stick at it!

My Sony NEX-5n w/16mm f2.8 is the only camera I use for non-paid work. My big-heavy-bulky Canon DSLRs stay on the shelf if they aren't making me money. I don't need to impress people with the size of my lens :)  :)

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 12:06:15 PM »

The problem here is that the EOS-M isn't little enough...   :P

:)  :)  :) You made my day :)  :)  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 12:06:15 PM »