April 20, 2014, 04:04:58 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS-M Begins Shipping  (Read 9935 times)

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
  • everything is possible, just do it!
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS-M Begins Shipping
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2012, 01:51:42 AM »
Why do people pre-order such an ordinary camera? They will be made in their millions.

Anyway, reason I am posting is because anyone thinking of getting this camera should read engadget's review here:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/03/canon-eos-m-review/

Enjoy.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2012, 01:51:42 AM »

simonxu11

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2012, 09:12:01 AM »
Why do people pre-order such an ordinary camera? They will be made in their millions.

Anyway, reason I am posting is because anyone thinking of getting this camera should read engadget's review here:

Enjoy.

Thanks for posting this
The IQ seems on par with 650D (no surprise), but the AF is huge let down.

Engadget:

"This time around, with our store-bought final model, we weren't able to test it alongside any of the company's tried-and-true heavy hitters, but both EF-Ms indeed fell far short. It's not the most sluggish focusing we've seen, but it's darn close."

"Professional photographers can affix their pricey L lenses, which is nice, but the dismal focusing performance means SLRs will probably be far more appealing to these users. "
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 09:29:47 AM by simonxu11 »

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2012, 07:27:50 AM »

Enjoy.

i gave my reason why i preordered its because i got a store credit and didnt want another crap fuji to replace the previous one anyway i'm looking forward to trying it out actually, i wish they had included the 3x video zoom of the 600d though stick that on the 600 fd would make for some crazy long video capability
APS-H Fanboy

Act444

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2012, 10:37:31 AM »
That's discouraging. I was really hoping for at least competent performance out of the M.

Even then, the price seems a bit high for what it can do. it's definitely making me have second thoughts. In any case, I've decided to move ahead with the 5D purchase instead.

That said, I would rather formal tests with hard numbers that tells us exactly how long it takes to focus on average.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 10:43:40 AM by Act444 »

hiplnsdrftr

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2012, 10:35:09 AM »
It seems to me (and in line with Canon's typical behavior) the EOS-M is intended to be a mediocre offering that simultaneously (and halfheartedly) gets them into this market segment and gives Canon some idea of how well it sells without hurting dSLR sales.

Keep in mind these classic moves by Canon- killing the Pro1, removing RAW from the S80, killing the G line after the G6, reintroducing the G line minus RAW with the G7, removing HD video from the G10 etc. This is a very conservative and very cautious company. Obviously, very reluctant to infringe upon their dSLR sales in any way.

My guess is that there were some serious internal battles about launching the EOS-M. Obviously, some design concessions were made to assuage the dSLR department and their accountants.

I for one am looking forward to buying a Canon mirrorless camera once they make a serious attempt at it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2012, 10:35:09 AM »