December 22, 2014, 12:55:54 AM

Author Topic: Got caught in the rain (5Dmk3, 5Dmk3, 7D boddies soaked)  (Read 8079 times)

tphillips63

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Got caught in the rain (5Dmk3, 5Dmk3, 7D boddies soaked)
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 03:26:42 PM »
Canon 7D - Hardcore Durability Test

7D durability, survived major abuse and kept working.  This link has been posted in the past here.

As for drying, if the sun is out a car is a good place, not in direct sunlight of course, and even in the house the longer you can wait the better.  Air drying evaporation is best.

I hope not much gets messed up for you.
EOS 5D Mk III | EF 16-35/2.8L  | EF 24-105/4L IS | EF 70-200/2.8L II IS | TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II | EF 35mm f/1.4L | EF 40/f2.8 P | EF 50/1.2L | EF 180/3.5L | 600EX RT |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 03:26:42 PM »

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 03:33:09 PM »
This is why I use Peli Cases and Gepe Card Safe Bags for all my equipment. I once was very happy about having them in a similar situation as yours. One big Peli Case costs less than 200$ and this is (in first row) the best insurance you can get!

Hope that everything is still working. Water damages are always a big problem...

I use them... Peace of mind cannot be overstated...
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 03:35:36 PM »
This is why I use Peli Cases and Gepe Card Safe Bags for all my equipment. I once was very happy about having them in a similar situation as yours. One big Peli Case costs less than 200$ and this is (in first row) the best insurance you can get!

Hope that everything is still working. Water damages are always a big problem...

+1.  At home, my gear is stored in Pelican Storm cases (I prefer the Storm latches to the Peli knuckle-busters).  Even in the house, leaks can happen. Pipes can burst.  I have a toddler.  'Nuff said.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 05:17:10 PM »

You actually take the cases out with you when hiking for miles?  I think a zip lock bag is more practical.

applecider

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 05:23:42 PM »
Here is a thought.  I use heated corn (whole kernels in a zippered pillow cover made of cloth) to heat my back.  I microwave the corn in the cover till hot, no it does not pop.  One might be able to get a little extra boost out of the rice if you microwaved it until it was warm and then follow then steps outlined in other posts.  The rice can be reused many times if you do this, and then used for a foot warmer etc.  Putting the corn or rice in a cover might keep it a little better controlled too.

And no I am not suggesting microwaving the camera.
AE-1, T90,EOS Elan 7e, EOS-M, 7D, 5D3, 1dx, ef40 2.8, ef 85 1.2ii, ef100 is 2.8 macro, ef300 2.8ii, ef400 2.8ii, ef600 is ii usm, ef8-15 f4, ef16-35 ii, ef24-70 ii, ef 24-105, ef 70-200, 2xext ii, 2xext iii, 1.4x ext iii.

TexPhoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 07:38:59 PM »
Trying to be positive... :D  Good lord man, buy a camera bag with some weather proofing!  I own several Lowpro AW bags and have been through tropical rainstorms without a drop of water on the gear.  Side benefit: you can carry the cameras in a camera bag!

Each one of my bags has a drawstring trash bag inside so i can enclose the bag and float it if necessary. 

rHellfire

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Nori Event Fotografie
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 05:06:05 PM »

You actually take the cases out with you when hiking for miles?  I think a zip lock bag is more practical.

Yes I take them everywhere ;) I got the back-packaging "thing", so I can put the 1560 case on the back.
I even took it on a canoe tour and pulled it behind the boat. Everything alright.
2x EOS 1Dx, EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 7D
14mm f2.8 II, 16-35mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4.0, 50mm f1.4, 70-200mm f2.8 II, 100mm f2.8 Macro, 300mm f2.8 I, EX 2x II,
Speedlite EX580 II, Speedlite 600EX-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 05:06:05 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2012, 05:09:50 PM »

Yes I take them everywhere ;) I got the back-packaging "thing", so I can put the 1560 case on the back.
I even took it on a canoe tour and pulled it behind the boat. Everything alright.

LOL, I can just see the case floating behind the canoe. Kinda difficult to get the camera in/out of it without risking soaking everything, unless you pull it up into the canoe that is.

Now the forum requires OP to get back to us with how it went, if the equipment dried out enough, etc.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2012, 05:30:36 PM »
Canon 7D - Hardcore Durability Test
7D durability, survived major abuse and kept working.

While I agree that the 7D is a durable camera, it's not difficult to compromise weather sealing. A non-weather sealed lens or 3rd party grip will do it. It's possible even age can do it to any camera. In any type of diving equipment you are required to check, and replace if necessary, the seals before each use. We can't do that with our cameras, but no doubt the materials used can age, harden, crack, etc.

Bummer to hear this story. I hope everything comes back to life after drying out.

extremeinstability

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Instability.com
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2012, 06:28:54 PM »
A fwiw post.  Last year I had a T2i and Panasonic TM700 both die on me from getting wet shooting Gavin's Point Dam during record release rates.  A couple wave/splashes too many.  You'd think I'd learned after the first one went out but took the other out via water as well.  I got them to stop working due to water while also using them at that time(obviously) and yet both eventually came back to life.  Took a couple hours before the T2i would turn on.  Bet your cams will turn out fine.  Jinx. 

pj1974

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 07:20:43 PM »
Trying to be positive... :D  Good lord man, buy a camera bag with some weather proofing!  I own several Lowpro AW bags and have been through tropical rainstorms without a drop of water on the gear.  Side benefit: you can carry the cameras in a camera bag!

Each one of my bags has a drawstring trash bag inside so i can enclose the bag and float it if necessary.

+1  ;)  &   :-\

I also can endorse the Lowepro AW bags with built-in rain-proof covers, which fit over most of the bag (the exposed part) to keep out 98% of rain (even tropical rain). The remaining 2% doesn't make it through the remaining bag exterior (the black part and lining) - unless you are in a real downpour for absolutely ages, ie hours.

I have a medium-large Lowepro AW shoulder bag (can fit my 7D with 2 lenses, eg 70-300mmL and 15-85mm), and I also have a large Lowepro AW 'slingshot' (one strap backpack type) - that holds 2 camera bodies and about 4 to 5 lenses.  Both have great rain covers.

The rain covers are stored / semifolded / semi-scrunched somewhere within a 'hidden open pocket' which faces downward, which is sealed with a velcro strap. So you can immediately pull out the rain cover when needed, it literally takes only seconds to unfold and then extend and guide it over the bag, using the elastic outer rim to cover and latch on to the bag's corners. These rain covers have saved my gear from danger (or potential damage) on numerous times.

Both my DSLRs have been taken and used in places where there is quite a bit of moisture (eg rain, waterfall sprays, even occasional spray from ocean waves). The 7D definitely has quite good sealing, not quite 1D class... but better than the 5DmkII and much better than the xxxD's / Rebels.

Also when I go bushwalking (aka 'hiking' or 'trekking' - I'm Australian!) - I also take spare plastic bags with me: usually garbage bags and then some smaller plastic bags- not only for my camera gear, but also to keep some clothes dry.  Handy insurance that weights only a few grams!

I hope we'll hear back from the OP with positive news....     :)

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

TAF

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 09:09:18 PM »
If you have a friend at the local university science department, see if you can get access to a large bell jar and vacuum pump.

Put everything in the bell jar (with the access covers open and lens off) and draw a vacuum.  The lower the pressure the faster the water will evaporate, since the boiling point drops with the pressure.  At 0.5 psia (which is pretty easy to achieve), water 'boils' at room temperature, and hence it will all evaporate away fairly quickly.

We use this trick at work when trying to salvage equipment that has been accidentally submerged at sea; we flush with distilled water then vacuum dry.  Works most of the time, at least well enough to download whatever data is still contained within.  Sea water is nasty stuff; rain should be much less damaging.

Just be certain there are no batteries in the camera (or in the bell jar), as not all batteries will tolerate a vacuum.

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2012, 10:32:50 AM »

+1.  At home, my gear is stored in Pelican Storm cases (I prefer the Storm latches to the Peli knuckle-busters).  Even in the house, leaks can happen. Pipes can burst.  I have a toddler.  'Nuff said.

After having 2 young kids, I can confirm the toddler is the #1 hazard to a camera system haha... 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2012, 10:32:50 AM »

freophotos

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2012, 11:41:57 AM »
One morning after an awesome rain storm I went out to finish off some gardening and to my surprise found my 5d and lens hanging from a branch, where I had left it the night before. That soaking was about as intense as sitting it in a bucket of distilled water.
I took the batteries out immediately, and of course did not remove the lens. I then gave it all to my dad who took it in to his work where they had a vacuum desiccator, which effectively sucks ALL the water out of whatever you put in there as vapour.
Camera worked perfectly for years after.
Good luck with your gear.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2012, 11:41:57 AM »