October 25, 2014, 08:24:49 PM

Author Topic: DPReview and DxOMark to partner for lens testing  (Read 5290 times)

mystic_theory

DPReview and DxOMark to partner for lens testing
« on: October 02, 2012, 01:07:18 PM »
So, it seems (http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/News/DxOMark-news/DPReview-and-DxOMark-to-partner-for-lens-testing) that at last DPReview is trying to be a little bit more objective and quantitative. Their reviews are the best out there (to the best of my very limited knowledge), but sometimes here and there they sounded rather subjective and arbitrary: I assume they want to take a different approach from now on.

The DxOMark overall scores, as a weighted average of scores on different performances, don't make much sense, but I guess that the collaboration is going to be an occasion to review that approach as well. I, as usual, will just pay attention to the plain measurements.

canon rumors FORUM

DPReview and DxOMark to partner for lens testing
« on: October 02, 2012, 01:07:18 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: DPReview and DxOMark to partner for lens testing
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 01:15:58 PM »
Flawed quantitative data analysis meets biased opinion.  A match made in...well, let's just say not heaven.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 01:35:20 PM »
I completely agree on that statement.

After what I felt might be described as a phase of vendor-neutral test results (see their 70-200mm zoom tests as their greatest example) at DPReview their reputation is now likely do go down the drain, if they adopt DxO's mysterious ratings.

picturesbyme

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • AtlanticPicture.com
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 02:44:16 PM »
Awesome!
Not a fan of either of them.
Now that they're "grouping" together it will be easier to ignore them :)

jthomson

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 03:31:46 PM »
Flawed quantitative data analysis meets biased opinion.  A match made in...well, let's just say not heaven.

Shouldn't that be biased quantitative data analysis meets flawed opinion?   ;D

nightbreath

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 03:36:38 PM »
It might work for us or might not. Let's just see how it turns out in the end.
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

joshmurrah

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 03:42:55 PM »
Not a fan in either case, so don't care here. 

I'm still not sure why Amazon bought out DPReview, other than to have a review blurb/link on product pages.
gripped 5DIII, 70-200 f/2.8L II, 24-70 f/2.8L II, 16-35 f/2.8L II, 8-15 f/4L, 50 f/1.2L, 85 f/1.2L II, 2x III, 3x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 03:42:55 PM »

well_dunno

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 04:31:54 PM »
 I was not checking either of them for any lens reviews anyway so not much of a change for my part. More fond of photozone, lensrentals and the-digital-picture... 

Are there any other sites anyone would recommend for lens reviews?

Cheers!

Wilmark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Wilmark Johnatty Photography
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 05:06:29 PM »
DP review isnt worth crap anymore, their site is just great for news. They spend far more time reviewing phones and point and shoot. They totally messed up the last rounds with the 5DIII and the D800. I have no respect for their reviews anymore.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 05:48:09 PM »

Amazon is a marketing organization. They do not acquire a faux journalism outfit for objective data. They acquire them so they may say things that make people want to buy.

The state of objective journalism in the photography equipment world is pathetic when one guy on this forum and a guy running a rental house are the only real authorities you can trust.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 05:50:39 PM »

Shouldn't that be biased quantitative data analysis meets flawed opinion?   ;D

Po-taaay-to, po-taaah-to.   ;D
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

al2

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 06:01:53 PM »
I was not checking either of them for any lens reviews anyway so not much of a change for my part. More fond of photozone, lensrentals and the-digital-picture... 

Cheers!

The one other site I would recommend is LensTip.com.  It's a Polish site.  The reviewer seems to know optics.  The reviews seem to be fair and rigorous.  The english is a little awkward sometimes, but it's a lot better than my Polish so I'm not complaining.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 06:58:52 PM »

While there are some drawbacks and deficiencies, I've found the best lens evaluations at Optics Topics [ opticstopics.com ]. Their advanced laboratories in the Swiss Alps focus on wave optics, not to mention geometric optics -- AND quantum optics.

For photographers, one of their most revealing indexes is the quadratic photonomy scale. Using natural light only at a research center above 3000 meters, they actually measure the total number of photons that pass through each cubic micron of the individual lenses as well as each lens group over a certain period -- sometimes the Carboniferous, more often the Triassic.

On the downside, they don't seem to know much about sensors. But they can tell you how to get coated glass sparkling clean!

Oh, and Cheers to you too!
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 06:58:52 PM »

Canon-F1

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 07:35:23 PM »
dpreview is a POS.

since amazon bought them they should be ignored.

and they delete comments like mad.
say something negative at dpreview about dpreview and you have a good chance it will be removed and you be banned (for "trolling").

they must be all from china or north korea there....

funkboy

• Canon 6D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 07:42:35 PM »
There are two sites that I really dig for lens reviews (notice I didn't say camera reviews).  One of them is photozone.de, which seems to give a very good real-world perspective on how a lens will work on your camera & what it will (& won't) do for you.

The other one is lensrentals.com, which if you read this site needs no introduction.

luminous-landscape.com has IMHO the best impressions on the net of cameras from the user's perspective, i.e. how well they handle and how easy they are to use & travel with.  It's also where I learned most of my fundamental photography technique, both digital and optical.  There are other sites out there like digilloyd & reid reviews, but as long as photography remains a hobby for me I can't really justify sinking any money into a subscription to a review site.

Finally, if you really want to know how a sensor performs in low light, the astrophotography folks (clarkvision, thierry legault, etc) have excellent methodology for analyzing sensor performance.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 07:42:35 PM »