October 25, 2014, 06:44:42 AM

Author Topic: DPReview and DxOMark to partner for lens testing  (Read 5287 times)

jthomson

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: DPReview and DxOMark to partner for lens testing
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 07:42:43 PM »

The one other site I would recommend is LensTip.com.  It's a Polish site.  The reviewer seems to know optics.  The reviews seem to be fair and rigorous.  The english is a little awkward sometimes, but it's a lot better than my Polish so I'm not complaining.

I visit his site from time to time and he does a pretty good job. 
As  Roger at LensRentals pointed out the different sites use different methods and measurement so its hard to compare across the sites.  LensTip is  internally consistent, but  I find that his edge MTF's don't match up relative to Photozone and LensRentals 

I'm actually going to say that if DPR  just uses the raw data from DxO and puts it into their graphical form then it may be a usefull colaboration.

Its the DxO  one number score that I can't figure out. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 07:42:43 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 07:43:23 PM »
dpreview is a POS.

and they delete comments like mad.
say something negative at dpreview about dpreview and you have a good chance it will be removed and you be banned (for "trolling").

IMHO, they do not ban enough users.  Some still post there that are banned here.

I am concerned about the quality of the lens testing, and, in particular, how it is presented.  The testing itself, is likely to be done carefully, but the most careful testing is not worth much if a lens is not properly adjusted, or is just exceptionaslly good (or bad).
This is a chance for them to hire a couple of good lens technicians who can adjust the lenses to remove and obvious QA issues so that we at least get values from a properly adjusted lens.  That does not answer the concern over sample variation though.

Canon-F1

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 07:50:19 PM »
Quote from: Mt Spokane Photography link=topic=9889.msg178547#msg178547

IMHO, they do not ban enough users.  Some still post there that are banned here.

how long are you on the internet?   ;D
if someone is banned from a website he has a new account in 2 minutes.

it´s useless.

they should learn to live with criticism.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 08:04:50 PM »
Quote from: Mt Spokane Photography link=topic=9889.msg178547#msg178547

how long are you on the internet?   ;D
if someone is banned from a website he has a new account in 2 minutes.

it´s useless.

they should learn to live with criticism.
I started using the Internet in about 1985.  Long before there was a world wide web. , I There wasn't much but news groups and Gopher then, and we used Unix Commands on our Vax.
 When the world wide web became available in 1992, I was a early adopter.
Occasionally, someone who is banned gets another IP, user name, and e-mail and starts posting again, however, a range of IP's can be banned as well.
I do not agree that a web site should just ignore abusers, spammers, etc because they occasionally come back with a new account.

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 08:58:08 PM »
It's been quite a while since I visited DPReview, I didn't know about all the changes.  Years ago I bought a Canon G2 when it came out based on their review.  A shame it's gone downhill.

Promature

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 09:33:37 PM »
Occasionally, someone who is banned gets another IP, user name, and e-mail and starts posting again, however, a range of IP's can be banned as well.
I do not agree that a web site should just ignore abusers, spammers, etc because they occasionally come back with a new account.

Agreed.  Glad someone who knows about IP address filtering entered the room.
70D, 10-22mm, 24-105mm f4, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 70-200 f2.8, 430EXII

Promature

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 10:07:42 PM »
The state of objective journalism in the photography equipment world is pathetic when one guy on this forum and a guy running a rental house are the only real authorities you can trust.

Agreed.  I quite enjoy Roger and his entire lack of brand loyalty.  Some of the better quotes I've seen:

Sigma 300-800: “A perfect lens for surveillance use, its stealth black finish is unobtrusive and easily concealed.”
OK, let me get this straight: the lens weighs 13 pounds,  is nearly 3 feet long with the hood mounted, and has a front element the size of a dinner plate. But by painting it black, it’s now “ unobtrusive and easily concealed”. If you mount it as a gun on a battleship, maybe.

Do you know the difference between a fairy tale and a Southern fairy tale? Well, a fairy tale starts “once upon a time.” A Southern fairy tale starts “Y’all aint gonna believe this S#@t!”. The 300mm f/2.8L IS is the Southern fairy tale of camera lenses.

One effective technique to get some room when you’re at a crowded airshow: set the 600 vertically with the hood end on the ground, get a serious look on your face, and announce loudly “you folks should step back from the blast area before we launch this”.[/b]

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 10:07:42 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 10:10:01 PM »

Agreed.  Glad someone who knows about IP address filtering entered the room.
There are issues with IP filtering, I just do not mention them, enough trolls know how to work the system already without giving a tutorial.

Promature

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 10:26:03 PM »
There are issues with IP filtering, I just do not mention them, enough trolls know how to work the system already without giving a tutorial.

I understand.  Just that doing the basics eliminates 99% of the problem users.  There will always be the 1% that are cockroaches.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 10:26:03 PM »