August 27, 2014, 11:16:11 PM

Author Topic: Why you should take your camera to family Weddings  (Read 15367 times)

red5

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Why you should take your camera to family Weddings
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2012, 01:25:58 PM »
Just got back from my daughter's wedding in Brooklyn and so glad I took my camera! She told me she wanted me to just relax and enjoy the fun, but I took the camera and got shots of the family events and pre-ceremony, when the paid photographer wasn't there. In addition, I got the shots of her coming down the aisle, which he missed completely. Said his card filled up (persnally I always change cards immediately before the ceremony). He had a 5d2 and a 5dc, so I'm not sure why he didn't switch to camera 2, perhaps it was too tight due to a telephoto lens.

WOW!  Congrats and I'm glad you were able to get CRUCIAL moments during the wedding.  Even with pre-ceremony shots, there is no way the photog should have ran out of memory.  Unless he only had a 2GB card or something, which is horrible.  That should justify a partial refund if that.

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2012, 02:06:37 PM »
A couple things -- I kind of wish the actual photog was here to explain what actually happened.  I can say on a few weddings I have second shot, I have missed shots --- why?  Because I was not allowed to shoot on my own cards and one of theres took 2 shots then read full.  I had the pouch in my pocket so i quickly shifted cards but the moment got lost.  they weren't huge cards either, 1 8GB and 4 4 GB..  Later in the day I reformated the card and things it worked fine, but still --- sometimes there are errors.

I am just saying its real easy to throw the photog under the bus when he/she isn't here.  Even easier seeing as though we have not seen these pics that saved the wedding!

Other things too ---

2 weddings ago my second shooter had a rented lens - this lens worked fine but at times the camera would error out saying ---the lens contacts were dirty or just overused ---either way, through the night she had to take the lens off and put it back on again several times.  Just saying, lots can happen and this photog isn't here to defend him/herself - we don't know what went down and why it went down.

With that said though, really not sure why this tog didn't have a pouch of cards on him (ok, I can think of 1 reason --- if he had one of the card holders that closed via velcro, I would not want to be that guy making that velcro tearing noise at any point of the ceremony!)

To those who said just delete a few and switch to smaller file size...that isn't something you can do as the bride is coming down the aisle.  That's for the tail end, after snapping a few thousand dancing shots, but the B&G are still going off on the dance floor and you've fill all the other cards already ---thats when you delete and switch file sizes (I always shoot in mRAW at weddings, full size RAW is overkill I think for anything but the formals).  If your in that place, your only solution is to run run run (or, as someone else mentioned, this tog had 2 bodies, couldn't he have used the classic?  Or, just snagged the lens from the classic and put it on the mk2?  I think thats the biggest reason I wish this tog was here, because he/she had a solution ---hell that's why we have backup second bodies right? that didn't get used.  Or even easier ---why not just use the card from the classic?  Pretty easy and quick to make that switch.  So yeah, I have to wonder if there was some other problem that his this togs camera had, and when asked about it is was just easier to say ran out of memory than to explain error messages..

And finally, lets see these shots that 'saved the day.'  We're throwing this other tog under the bus based on a fishy excuse and the claim of day saving images that we haven't seen!!!!!

EDIT --- if your shots are good, and this guy did totally miss that ---instead of bragging here ---contact the tog and offer to sell him the shots!!!!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 02:17:24 PM by Chuck Alaimo »
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Mooose

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 02:20:31 PM »
Our photographer died of a heart attack about a week before our wedding.   He didn't name a backup.   Talk about unprofessional.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 05:44:45 PM by Mooose »
Canon 7d, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 100mm f2.8 macro, 70-200mm f4L IS , 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS, 10-22mm f3.5-4.5

jalbfb

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2012, 02:55:51 PM »
Inexcusable!!! I shot a wedding last weekend. Just before the ceremony, my 5D3 was reporting I still had 160 frames of open capacity on my 8GB card. I still changed cards just before the processional started. Unless the photog faints during the ceremony they should capture everything from start to finish. If not, you deserve some kind of rebate for failure to deliver.

I just recently finished shooting my first wedding with my 5d3 and I had 3 CF cards and thank God the camera has that second slot for an SD as well, despite changing cards before each separate event (pre, ceremony, etc) I still ran over during the ceremony and the 5D3 automatically switched over the the SD card otherwise I would have missed the bride and groom walking out as the ceremony concluded!!
Happy owner of the 5D Mark III, 24-105 f/4L and other L lenses

shadowsatnight

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2012, 03:13:06 PM »
I just recently finished shooting my first wedding with my 5d3 and I had 3 CF cards and thank God the camera has that second slot for an SD as well, despite changing cards before each separate event (pre, ceremony, etc) I still ran over during the ceremony and the 5D3 automatically switched over the the SD card otherwise I would have missed the bride and groom walking out as the ceremony concluded!!

What size cards were you using?

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2012, 03:27:45 PM »
EDIT --- if your shots are good, and this guy did totally miss that ---instead of bragging here ---contact the tog and offer to sell him the shots!!!!
Yeah, this is a great suggestion if you like receiving emails that tell you where you can stick your head

Mooose

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2012, 03:41:46 PM »
Yeah, this is a great suggestion if you like receiving emails that tell you where you can stick your head

Yeah why not cut out the middle man and extort money directly from her daughter.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 05:40:51 PM by Mooose »
Canon 7d, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 100mm f2.8 macro, 70-200mm f4L IS , 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS, 10-22mm f3.5-4.5

jalbfb

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2012, 04:11:29 PM »

What size cards were you using?

Shooting RAW, I had 3 CF cards of 16, 16, 8 and the SD card was 16.  I took over well over 600 pictures all told for the day's event. 10 bridesmaids, 8 groomsmen, 2 flower girls, 3 "ring bearers", two huge families, etc. I shot on continuous silent mode, but I didn't do a lot of rapid continuous shooting except for certain critical situations. I made the "mistake" of using the CF 8 for the ceremony.

DCM1024

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2012, 04:22:34 PM »

I am the mother of the bride - I have absolutely zero profit motive in this matter so of course I just gave the photos to my daughter.

I'm going to ignore the rest of your rant other than to say that I don't even know the photogs name, so he hasn't been identified and had his reputation tarnished due to being publicly critisized. I know things go wrong, but I do think he should have changed his card prior to the ceremony. If he still had an issue, he should have switched to his 5dc. There were no restrictions on what equipment he provided and used.

DCM1024

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2012, 04:26:28 PM »
My sincere Thank You to those who took a moment to congratulate me on my daughter's recent wedding. They are so obviously in love that it was a time of great joy that will be remembered forever.

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2012, 04:31:23 PM »
My sincere Thank You to those who took a moment to congratulate me on my daughter's recent wedding. They are so obviously in love that it was a time of great joy that will be remembered forever.
And that's the important part. Plus, you have some great photos to remember the day by

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2012, 04:40:15 PM »

I am the mother of the bride - I have absolutely zero profit motive in this matter so of course I just gave the photos to my daughter.

I'm going to ignore the rest of your rant other than to say that I don't even know the photogs name, so he hasn't been identified and had his reputation tarnished due to being publicly critisized. I know things go wrong, but I do think he should have changed his card prior to the ceremony. If he still had an issue, he should have switched to his 5dc. There were no restrictions on what equipment he provided and used.

Then give them to her!  Sorry if you feel that what I said there was a rant --- note I did bring up things like - "With that said though, really not sure why this tog didn't have a pouch of cards on him (ok, I can think of 1 reason --- if he had one of the card holders that closed via velcro, I would not want to be that guy making that velcro tearing noise at any point of the ceremony!)" --- and " why not just use the card from the classic?  Pretty easy and quick to make that switch."  So, if it was in fact that this photog is just dumb and didn't have cards on him and mystically forgot that he had a perfectly good card in the 5dc, then yeah by all means he deserves all the bad negativity he's getting.  All I am saying is that there may have been a larger issue (the 5dc is a great camera but nowhere near as good in low light as the mk2 ---but then again that's easily countered by the fact that a lesser quality shot is still better than no shot at all).  I can't shake the idea though that it may have been some other issue going on (again, why the hell couldn't he just use the card from the 5dc????...or just use the 5dc ????)....  I'm not arguing, just speculating.
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

thepancakeman

• 6D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2012, 05:26:42 PM »
Too many holes in this story dear mother ... I am sorry but you are obviously a wedding photographer and there is no way you dont know the name of the offcial photog as i dont think you'll let your daughter pick one without consulting you as wedd photog !? - why else she would tell you to sit and enjoy the day or whatever she told you !?
I just think you made some good shots of them walking down the eisle and thats all...
Even on a first wedding and even as a second photog - no one is going to run out of memory on a begining of a church ceremony - thats just hard to believe , and the bigest reason is that a man is getting payed for what he does !

My point is : even if he did what you claim he did ! - big part of responsibility is again yours , cause you let your daughter pick a total amateur for her big day !!! I repeat you as a pro wedd photographer !
Makes sence ha ? When you look from this angle !?

And yes i would also love too see some of those pictures...

And yes its not nice to spit on someones work even if he is anonimus and you are hideing behind nick on some forum on the web...

Okay this is a first for me, but....GO AWAY!

jalbfb

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2012, 06:04:57 PM »

Let me add my congrats on your daughter's wedding and advise you to ignore some of the "less generous" (I'm trying to be nice and civil) comments posted. My nephew and niece recently got married a week apart and I didn't bring my camera to either and my kids complained.  They were hoping I'd take pictures of them and their spouses and SO's since they were all dressed to the nines!  I won't make that mistake again.

gbchriste

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2012, 07:12:04 PM »
Inexcusable!!! I shot a wedding last weekend. Just before the ceremony, my 5D3 was reporting I still had 160 frames of open capacity on my 8GB card.

Professional event photographers still shoot with 8Gb cards? Phew! That's not a lot of shots on a 5D3 unless you are a JPEG shooter.
I'm still frequently surprised how fast a 32Gb card fills on the 5D3.

-PW

There's actually a couple of very valid, compelling reasons for shooting on smaller cards in this case.  You want to guard against losing images due to a card failure or loss.  If you have one giant card in the camera to capture the entire day and that card gets corrupted or lost, you've lost the entire day.  Breaking the event up on to smaller cards provides an extra measure of protection.  Smaller, multiple cards also provide you with a better opportunity to periodically download the images on to secondary backup media during the event.  For a wedding, I have my laptop stashed away nearby and when a break in the action permits, I pop a new card in to the camera, and take the just removed one to the laptop and start a file copy over to the hard drive.  Now I've got redundant copies of the files.  I went through six 8GB cards in this fashion at the wedding I just shot.

Of course with the 5DIII you have the option of capturing simultaneously to the second SD card but if you're shooting raw to both cards, that can significantly slow down your capture rate and you still have to concern yourself will filling up the second card as well.

In my case, I use a 32GB SD card in the second slot but set up to capture large JPG to that card.  This gives me the capacity to shoot the entire ceremony on that card with out having to swap.  In my workflow, the primary purpose of the JPGs on the SD card is as a last-ditch safety feature in the event my raw workflow and card rotation scheme for shooting on the 8GB CF cards gets hosed up.

The JPGs also let me do a very quick image review when I get home rather than having to import large raws into Light Room first.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 07:21:04 PM by gbchriste »