December 22, 2014, 05:26:01 PM

Author Topic: Lightroom 4.2 update  (Read 15544 times)

crasher8

Re: Lightroom 4.2 update
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 03:01:59 PM »
My 5D3 raws take much longer than my 7D raws. Worth waiting for.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 03:01:59 PM »

rawbphoto

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 03:20:41 PM »
When I installed my Lightroom 4 upgrade the preview build was reset to minimal and this caused what seemed to be horrendous performance slowdowns. It also stopped building previews on import so not only were the previews being built minimal but they weren't even being built until I first tried using the Develop module.

I also set the standard preview size (catalogue settings) to the first listed reso-size longer than the longest edge of my monitor, for example monitor= 1920x1200 then Standard Preview Size=2048.

After changing my preview setting I deleted my preview folder and now rebuild the previews for each folder as I need them. Takes about as long as an import but once done everything is nice and zippy again.

Dianoda

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 03:24:18 PM »
So basically nothing to fix the VERYVERY uselessly slow performance.....
I don't have a performance problem.  Sounds like a configuration issue if you have a PC.

I have a PC (with plenty of RAM, etc.) and maybe someone can answer my problem about loading photos into Lightroom.  Once I import photos from my harddrive into LR, before I go into the Develop module, I wait for all the photos to "load", by waiting for the 3 tiny dots to disappear from each photo, indicating the photo is loaded.  The problem is, only the photos that are displayed on the screen actually "load", so I then have to scroll down to have the next line(s) of photos to show on the screen before they actually load.  I have the thumbnails set to the smallest setting so more photos are on the screen at once in the Library module.  Is there something I'm missing or I'm doing wrong.  I would rather have all the photos load on their own and go do something useful, instead of having to scroll down every 30 seconds until my 1,000 photos or so are finished loading.  The reason I make sure all the photos are loaded, meaning the 3 dots have disappeared, is so that in the Develop module it doesn't take forever for a single photo to become ready for adjustments.

I'd suggest organizing your photos into folders by date - this way the computer does not immediately try to load thousands of photos each time you open LR.  Even better, organize your photos into folders by by month/year and then by date plus brief description of the shoot - I find this very helpful.  If it's an exceptionally large shoot, add another level of folders, ie, Ceremony, Couple & Family, Reception, etc. or 1st Quarter, 2nd Quarter, etc.  For example:

W:\EOS 7D Master Backup\2012_08\2012_08_25 - Client Name's Wedding\Reception

By doing this I can pretty much get to anything quickly, despite having 40K+ photos tied to LR4 through network attached storage.  My LR4 machine isn't a monster, either; it's a laptop with a dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, SSD boot drive, and LR4.2 release candidate runs quite well.  Once I'm ready to convert my RAWs, I save the output JPEG/TIFF's to a different drive and back them up to the master later (less I:O on the network drive means faster conversions).
Current Kit: Some cameras and a bunch of lenses, maybe even a tripod or two

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 05:49:48 PM »
It's not my hardware that sucks. Plus I don't have 40k in one catalogue (???) I have the images from import on one card and delete raw's afterwards. Tops 400 images in Lr at one time.

Lr 3 ran fantastic, and the 4 beta also ran great. I'll finish up all my work in Lr 4.1 and uninstall everything and start from scratch with 4.2..
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 06:01:28 PM »
So basically nothing to fix the VERYVERY uselessly slow performance.....
I don't have a performance problem.  Sounds like a configuration issue if you have a PC.

I have a PC (with plenty of RAM, etc.) and maybe someone can answer my problem about loading photos into Lightroom.  Once I import photos from my harddrive into LR, before I go into the Develop module, I wait for all the photos to "load", by waiting for the 3 tiny dots to disappear from each photo, indicating the photo is loaded.  The problem is, only the photos that are displayed on the screen actually "load", so I then have to scroll down to have the next line(s) of photos to show on the screen before they actually load.  I have the thumbnails set to the smallest setting so more photos are on the screen at once in the Library module.  Is there something I'm missing or I'm doing wrong.  I would rather have all the photos load on their own and go do something useful, instead of having to scroll down every 30 seconds until my 1,000 photos or so are finished loading.  The reason I make sure all the photos are loaded, meaning the 3 dots have disappeared, is so that in the Develop module it doesn't take forever for a single photo to become ready for adjustments.
The creating preview images is a one time thing,  Leave lightroom running for a while and it will create previews for all 1000 in 30 minutes or so.
Go to catalog settings to set your preferences for the previews and the time to keep 1:1 previews. 

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 06:08:01 PM »
It's not my hardware that sucks. Plus I don't have 40k in one catalogue (???) I have the images from import on one card and delete raw's afterwards. Tops 400 images in Lr at one time.

Lr 3 ran fantastic, and the 4 beta also ran great. I'll finish up all my work in Lr 4.1 and uninstall everything and start from scratch with 4.2..

I have 130,000 images in one catalog, and LR4.0, 4.1 and 4.2 have all run just fine on all my systems, including my thin-and-light laptop.  Win 7 64.  I don't know why some people have this trouble and others don't.

cliffwang

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 06:39:46 PM »
  I don't know why some people have this trouble and others don't.

adobe has no clue either... otherwise this would be long fixed.

i have no problems myself but i have seen it on a friends system.
similiar specs as my system but LR 4.x runs way slower.

Do you guys access files via network?  the LR on my server is very fast, but it's slow on my another desktop because of the network drive.
How about the LR speed on MAC?
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 06:39:46 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 08:42:37 PM »
I noticed 4.2 is dramatically faster.  Those huge Nikon D800 files now render in about 1 second or less.  NR also updates almost instantly on the D800 files where it was taking 20 seconds or more on the D800 files.
Did those who claim its slow actually test it?
My Canon 5D2 and 5D3 files load instantly, less than .1 sec.

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 08:45:10 PM »
  I don't know why some people have this trouble and others don't.

adobe has no clue either... otherwise this would be long fixed.

i have no problems myself but i have seen it on a friends system.
similiar specs as my system but LR 4.x runs way slower.

Do you guys access files via network?

Never.

wockawocka

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2012, 03:39:10 AM »
On my i7 960 with SSD's and 24gb Ram it is fine.

My technique though is to load the raw files, then build 1:1 previews. This takes time but the develop module is then twice as quick.

The biggest determining factor in lightroom speed is the CPU, then Ram. The hard drives, be they Sata 1, 2 or 3 have little of no bearing. The bottleneck is with the CPU.

Load your task manager and watch those cores jump up and down trying to crunch the files and you'll see what I mean.

I'm building a new rig to speed things up further (a 3930k cpu based system) but in a year or two I may go balls out with a dual Xeon setup.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 05:30:29 AM »
I believe you are quite correct, that CPU speed is an important factor. I am running LR 4 on a Sony laptop with a standard 750 GB harddisk and 4 i7 CPUs and 8 GBs of RAM and it is blazingly fast, although I have in excess of 10000 pictures in my catalogue. I don't know, if it helps much in this case, but I also organize my pictures in folders on the operating system by year and by date plus location. In general using folders increases file access performance on the operating system level, provided we are talking about thousands of files.

Hector1970

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 09:00:22 AM »
I was wondering if I was the only person who had a problem with Lightroom 4.1
Lightroom 3 ran no problem for me on my PC (I don't know what the specs are - it's about 2 years old now and probably not state of the art).
Lightroom 4.1 runs like a dog.
A new camera 5D Mark III and it's file sizes may also not be helpful.
It's been unresponsive quite alot. Very slow in comparison to Lightroom 3.
Hopefully 4.2 will improve it somewhat. I've downloaded and installed it but not used it next.

I was thinking of buying a Laptop to run Lightroom and PS5/6.
Any one give me an idea of what I should look for in the Laptop (Windows).
eg What RAM, what Intel Processor, Do I need a dedicated Graphics Card.
Anything else I should consider.

- Hector

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 09:48:11 AM »

I was thinking of buying a Laptop to run Lightroom and PS5/6.
Any one give me an idea of what I should look for in the Laptop (Windows).
eg What RAM, what Intel Processor, Do I need a dedicated Graphics Card.
Anything else I should consider.

- Hector
Hi Hector, I am in the market for a laptop too - here are some recent threads on CR that talk about what you might need:
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=9230.0
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=9244.0

Personally I am looking at a Sager NP6350 which is a gamer notebook. It has two HDD bays, optical drive and a seperate GPU (660M). Here is what I will likely get:

Intel 3610QM
nVidia 660M
16GB RAM
256GB SSD for O/S and active LR/PS files
750GB HDD for backup and files
95% gamut NTSC 1920x1080 screen
Windows7 Home Premium (I debated going right to Win8 but I think that may be problematic out of the blocks)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 09:48:11 AM »

crasher8

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 09:58:42 AM »
Soup up your PC all you ant but my not made to order MBP is running 4.2 just perfect. You want fast? Try Aperture, wow that loads previews quickly.

rolsskk

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 10:27:24 AM »
But no lens profile for the Canon 24-70mmL II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 10:27:24 AM »