September 02, 2014, 10:13:49 PM

Author Topic: Lightroom 4.2 update  (Read 14262 times)

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Lightroom 4.2 update
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2012, 11:08:20 AM »
But no lens profile for the Canon 24-70mmL II
Tethering for the 5D3 only just came out - after being officially launched for over six months.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2012, 11:08:20 AM »

RonQ

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Ron Q. Photography
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2012, 02:25:41 PM »
So last night I upgraded to LR4.2 and as before the issue is in the develop module, everytime I attempt to use a brush, the lagging is driving me nuts.  It's gotten worse with the upgrade, not sure if I'm missing something... But I'm tempted to go back to 4.0!
Canon 5D MK3, Canon 5D MK2, Canon T2i, Canon 24-70L f2.8, Canon 16-35L II f2.8, Canon 70-200L f2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4, 600EX-RT, 580EX II

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2012, 04:35:50 PM »
So last night I upgraded to LR4.2 and as before the issue is in the develop module, everytime I attempt to use a brush, the lagging is driving me nuts.  It's gotten worse with the upgrade, not sure if I'm missing something... But I'm tempted to go back to 4.0!
That is strange, 4.2 is much faster for me, and lagging of the brush for 5D MK II or three was not a issue.  It was for D800, but is now better.
I have my catalog on a SSD, and my files on a separate internal HDD.  Its a huge catalog, and I only optimize occasionally due to the long time it takes.

crasher8

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2012, 05:30:48 PM »
I'd trash the plist and rebuild your prefs.

RonQ

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Ron Q. Photography
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2012, 05:48:34 PM »
That is strange, 4.2 is much faster for me, and lagging of the brush for 5D MK II or three was not a issue.  It was for D800, but is now better.
I have my catalog on a SSD, and my files on a separate internal HDD.  Its a huge catalog, and I only optimize occasionally due to the long time it takes.
I thought so too.  I run my software on a SSD and all my files are on 3 other internal drives, running 16GB ram with an i7 quad core processor.  So I know it's not PC performance, everything else in LR runs very fast except the develop module.
Canon 5D MK3, Canon 5D MK2, Canon T2i, Canon 24-70L f2.8, Canon 16-35L II f2.8, Canon 70-200L f2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4, 600EX-RT, 580EX II

RichM

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • NH Sports Photography
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2012, 07:22:30 PM »
Once I import photos from my harddrive into LR, before I go into the Develop module, I wait for all the photos to "load", by waiting for the 3 tiny dots to disappear from each photo, indicating the photo is loaded.  The problem is, only the photos that are displayed on the screen actually "load", so I then have to scroll down to have the next line(s) of photos to show on the screen before they actually load.
You don't have to do this.  It sounds like you have LR set to build "minimal" previews on import.  Then it has to work hard to load them later.  Instead, set LR to build "1:1" or "standard" previews on import.  This way the import process takes longer, but the previews are all built when it's done.  This setting (called "Render Previews") is in the top right of the Import screen. 

Also, I've heard it's good to give LR a big cache for Camera Raw Settings.  This is done in LR Preferences, under File Handling.

+1

Thanks, increasing the cache provided a big boost in performance when "developing".  This might allow me to make it through a few more months with my 4 year old laptop.
5d3, 7d gripped,  17-40f4L, 24-105f4L, 70-200f2.8LII, 50f1.8, 300f4L, 430EX2

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2012, 08:59:41 PM »
I'll be grateful for any speed gains from LR V4.2. LR3 ran like a dream on my quad core 16Gb memory PC (SSD LR cache & catalog). LR4 was a dog and to a lesser extent 4.1. I loved the LR4 .x functionality but talk about glacial performance!

But an interesting thing which may be useful to some users, and help explain why some photographers have absolutely no speed issues and others do. The Wacom Intuos4 tablet turns out to be a culprit, specifically when using local adjustments. Brush was so bad I just never use it. The havoc it caused was so deep that it took three or four complete shutdown/restart cycles to restore acceptable performance.

So Wacom & Adobe need to talk to each other. If you use a Wacom and have LR speed issues, unhook it and taste the difference.

-PW

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2012, 08:59:41 PM »

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2012, 09:15:09 PM »

So Wacom & Adobe need to talk to each other. If you use a Wacom and have LR speed issues, unhook it and taste the difference.

-PW

When you say unhook it - do you mean un-install the driver or just not to use it in LR4? Are you using the pressure sensitivity mode on the Wacom?

suburbia

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2012, 06:53:27 AM »
  I don't know why some people have this trouble and others don't.

adobe has no clue either... otherwise this would be long fixed.

i have no problems myself but i have seen it on a friends system.
similiar specs as my system but LR 4.x runs way slower.

Do you guys access files via network?  the LR on my server is very fast, but it's slow on my another desktop because of the network drive.
How about the LR speed on MAC?

nope my friend has his catalog on 256GB samsung 830 SSD.
and the images are on a fast local seagate HDD.

there is no contention with the local HDD? I keep my photo files on a separate disk to avoid problems when multitasking eg streaming music while working on lightroom, especially when say running an export it used to impact my Lightroom performance before I moved the photos to a dedicated disk.

suburbia

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2012, 07:02:32 AM »
I thought so too.  I run my software on a SSD and all my files are on 3 other internal drives, running 16GB ram with an i7 quad core processor.  So I know it's not PC performance, everything else in LR runs very fast except the develop module.

what size previews do you render on import? Develop module needs 1:1 preview renders to display on screen. So if you render smaller previews on import then every time you launch a photo in the develop module you will see a lag. Lags during developing sounds like maybe cache size issue or maybe PC writing reading information to from disk during the developing action?

Some questions to ask:

* What is CPU and Physical Memory utilisation when doing the developing?
* Where is location of and what size is the OS and Lightroom caches?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 07:27:45 AM by suburbia »

suburbia

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2012, 07:17:23 AM »
Once I import photos from my harddrive into LR, before I go into the Develop module, I wait for all the photos to "load", by waiting for the 3 tiny dots to disappear from each photo, indicating the photo is loaded.  The problem is, only the photos that are displayed on the screen actually "load", so I then have to scroll down to have the next line(s) of photos to show on the screen before they actually load.
You don't have to do this.  It sounds like you have LR set to build "minimal" previews on import.  Then it has to work hard to load them later.  Instead, set LR to build "1:1" or "standard" previews on import.  This way the import process takes longer, but the previews are all built when it's done.  This setting (called "Render Previews") is in the top right of the Import screen. 

Also, I've heard it's good to give LR a big cache for Camera Raw Settings.  This is done in LR Preferences, under File Handling.

+1

Thanks, increasing the cache provided a big boost in performance when "developing".  This might allow me to make it through a few more months with my 4 year old laptop.

yes the default cache limit seems strangely small for medium to heavy work, I increased the cache size, located on a separate disk to the photo file disk, but I'm limited somewhat by capacity limits on my SSD so I will be looking to increase in future for more performance gains.

I also have put my lightroom catalogue onto my SSD (however because the catalogue needs to be in same folder as the huge preview file folders (surely an oversight) I have had to create a virtual link from my SSD to the physical location of the preview files on my dedicated photo HDD to save space on my SSD. Also must make backup of catalogue regularly as SSD is not backed up.

http://morethanwords.be/blog/en/getting-the-most-out-of-your-solid-state-drive-in-lightroom/
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 07:34:28 AM by suburbia »

tombu

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2012, 09:26:11 AM »
I just realized that DNG.files are like 3x faster in develop mode to load than canon's own cr2.. Anyone else here who noticed that?

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2012, 10:05:28 AM »

A couple of things could also help in addition to Zlatko's tips:

1) Increasing RAM to 12-16GB (I have 24Gb but I never see it go beyond 12 GB usage)
2) Get a Samsung 830 series SSD. This really helps. 830 series is 6 Gbps

but the most effective tip I have seen work that helps with no spend, is for CPU's with Hyperthreading (all i-7's I think) , open the task manager, right click on the LR process and choose affinity. Unlick affinity to all odd number cpus (these are hyperthreaded) and leave 0,2,4,6 clicked on. This should help some. Non-hyperthreaded CPU's don't suffer that bad from performance that much for this reason.

Hope it helps.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2012, 10:05:28 AM »

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2012, 10:07:13 AM »
I just realized that DNG.files are like 3x faster in develop mode to load than canon's own cr2.. Anyone else here who noticed that?
I don't use LR4 yet (I am getting a system that will run it shortly) but I do use DNG because the 5D3 is not supported in LR3. That said, when using DNG it helps to use the conversion setting of 'Embed Fast Load Data'.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2012, 10:12:39 AM »
I don't use LR4 yet (I am getting a system that will run it shortly) but I do use DNG because the 5D3 is not supported in LR3. That said, when using DNG it helps to use the conversion setting of 'Embed Fast Load Data'.

On paper DNG is supposed to be as good as RAW, but does it have "all" the information that a RAW has? Has anyone done tests on this?
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2012, 10:12:39 AM »