October 01, 2014, 06:39:54 AM

Author Topic: Looks like the 6D may not be so bad after all  (Read 39064 times)

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Looks like the 6D may not be so bad after all
« on: October 03, 2012, 04:38:16 PM »
I was down about the 6D but after seeing this review/comparison of the Nikon D600 from a Canon user, i'm definitely not switching:
http://learningcameras.com/reviews/4-dslrs/75-nikon-d600-full-review

Video Review: http://www.youtube.com/user/learningcameras?feature=watch

The quality on the D600 is great but there are a ton of issues including a dead pixel! He is even recommending not to buy it now. Guess i'll have to save for the 5D3.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:22:04 PM by dswatson83 »

canon rumors FORUM

Looks like the 6D may not be so bad after all
« on: October 03, 2012, 04:38:16 PM »

IronChef

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Looks like the 6D may not be so bad after all
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 05:23:19 PM »
 Remember that dead pixels can happen to all camera's.

Harv

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • My SmugMug Web Location
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 05:27:40 PM »
1 dead pixel out of 24,300,000.....  how awful.  I wonder when the last time was that someone looked at a picture and saw a dead pixel.

Don't sweat it.  Dead pixels are common.
Looking at life through a 1D4 and a 5D3 plus lots of red rings.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 05:49:12 PM »
The 6D will be a fine camera.  The Photographer and the lenses play a much more important part than the body.

Sameer Thawani

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 06:06:31 PM »
In my observations, all new bodies are going to have issues. Canon or Nikon, they usually take time to sort out the issues the new bodies came with.

poias

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 06:13:53 PM »
I would rather have a good 1 point AF sensor than 9 bad ones. I would rather than 22 good mega pixels than 36 bad ones. I would rather have good menu system than sensor specs. I would rather have integrated WIFI and GPS units than not. I would rather have the EF lens support than not. I would rather have good customer support than not. I would rather have my Canon than not!

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 06:40:48 PM »
The 6D will be a fine camera.  The Photographer and the lenses play a much more important part than the body.

Indeed, to time to get a 5dc :-o, no really, if the most pleasing thing to say about the 6d is that the camera doesn't matter this isn't high praise.

I would rather have a good 1 point AF sensor than 9 bad ones. I would rather than 22 good mega pixels than 36 bad ones. I would rather have good menu system than sensor specs. I would rather have integrated WIFI and GPS units than not. I would rather have the EF lens support than not. I would rather have good customer support than not. I would rather have my Canon than not!

Pity the 6d hasn't even got one good af point, because it's non-cross with f2.8 lenses (with a fallback to the less precise f5.6 cross sensor). And for valuing a nice menu system over dynamic range and less noise - well, Canon is lucky that there are some customers left that like their choices!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 06:40:48 PM »

SwampYankee

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 07:43:20 PM »
I agree the photographer and lens are more important than the body but I don't know how anyone could consider or preorder before having some idea of how good/bad the sensor is.  I'm sure hoping that the reputable review sites get to put the 6D (without a sealed up card slot) through it's paces before actual sales begin.  Specs are all well and good but buying this without seeing a review would be like seeing a movie that was not available to the film critics to review.
5DIII | 70-200 IS F4L | 24-105L |50 1.8 I |1002.8L | Tokina 16-28 2.8 |600EX

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 09:31:16 PM »
if the 6D had 11 double cross type points with a nice broad spread it would be a real winner however it would seem the AF ball haas been dropped again
APS-H Fanboy

tnargs

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 12:37:19 AM »
Still too much vitriol about a camera that none of you have tried, or even read a review.

Where will you all be if the hands-on reviews come in praising how well it focuses? Too busy poisoning some other thread or product I suppose.

BTW it IS a cross-type AF sensor with f2.8 lenses.

scokar

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 12:49:56 AM »
Still too much vitriol about a camera that none of you have tried, or even read a review.

Where will you all be if the hands-on reviews come in praising how well it focuses? Too busy poisoning some other thread or product I suppose.

Yes.   I'm out shopping for arsenic and hemlock, be back soon.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 12:52:35 AM »

yeah the center point is  (and i've only seen mention of cross type not double cross)... most likely very similar to the 5Dmk2 (which is a very good center point)
my point is if ALL the points were the new double cross type and a completely new sensor with a focus (excuse the pun) on accuracy and spread rather than speed and tracking it would be a pretty sweet event camera no doubt
however i suspect the outer points are going to be only as useable as the 5dmk2 outer points and that is ok in good light and unusable in low light

my point was canon had an opportunity here to put out a real killer low number of point AF system but missed it
sure i haven't used it but i've used enough canon cameras to know the limitations of the different type of AF points and the vanilla non cross type AF points are barely adequate

I also meant to mention has everyone seen the spread of the nikon D600 39 AF points? what a joke it may as well have 5 points for all the area it covers....
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 12:56:32 AM by wickidwombat »
APS-H Fanboy

heptagon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 02:54:12 AM »

Actually I'd rather have a dozen good AF sensors instead of 9 mediocre ones and 36 million good pixels instead of 22 million mediocre ones. Where do i get that? Oh right, Nikon has it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 02:54:12 AM »

panicboy

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 03:21:33 AM »

I had my hands on the 6d at Photokina for about 5 Minutes. For me, the AF seemed pretty good, it even managed to focus when I pointed the camera to the very dark ceiling, no matter if I chose the center or one of the outer AF points.

What annoyed me much more was the missing stick. Without it, the 6d lost usability compared to my trusty 50d. This is why I started looking at 5d Mk2 offers again...

Marsu42

• ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 04:13:16 AM »

Nope, it isn't, it's the same as the 5d2 with added low-light capability, read the specs: It has only a horizontal f2.8-sensitive line, i.e. if that cannot achieve focus it falls back to the f5.6 lines. I didn't understand that at first either, but Dr. Neuro explained :-) ... and this is my biggest grief with the 6d, it's anti-tuned for f2.8 lenses just like the 5d3/1dx af is tuned for them. It's made for the 24-105/4L (kit) and 17-40/4L (Canon did the sample shots with this)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 04:13:16 AM »