October 22, 2014, 11:24:43 AM

Author Topic: Air Shows-How do you shoot them? (my first attempt)  (Read 5261 times)

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
Re: Air Shows-How do you shoot them? (my first attempt)
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 11:10:26 AM »

Albedo, I really like that C130 landing. That is great photography!
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 11:10:26 AM »

albedo13

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 01:52:56 AM »
@ Awinphoto
Very nice captures. Looks like a great show.

@ Jim
Thanks for your post. Hope I'm that good in 5 years. I really like the beautiful sunsets as a back drop.
I know I should start using RAW but those were all shot in JPG. Using a slower shutter speed for the props planes really emphasizes a feeling of speed.. Mine were all shot at 1/1000 and it freezes the propellers and looks kind of artificial.
What camera and lens do you usually use at air shows?

I use a 1D4 with a 500 f4 for primary and a 1DS2 with 100-400 as my secondary and for formation flights.  And I can not emphasize raw enough...the extra lattitude you get for doing enhancements is amazing, and the new version of Adobe Camera Raw can do some incredible things.  On Fencecheck, that is the #1 piece of advice given for improving your shots.

albedo13

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 01:55:59 AM »

Albedo, I really like that C130 landing. That is great photography!

Thanks!  Actually that is at takeoff.  They don't do the rocket assist on takeoff anymore, but the vertical climb out they can do with a C130 is amazing, and if there is even a little moisture in the air you get some pretty wild prop vapor.

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 02:42:32 AM »
Jim,

Thanks for the advice. I really should start using RAW instead of JPG. I will checkout Fencecheck.

Any tips on how you keep the plane so sharp when it is moving and shutter speed is 1/50-1/80 range? I guess it is really good panning. Do you use IS when panning? I love that sharp spiral effect behind each propeller. How do you do that...is that because of the prop vapor?

The Blue Angels "Fat Albert" C-130 was at the air show and I got this shot (wasn't in a good location so cluttered foreground/background).
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

picturesbyme

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • AtlanticPicture.com
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 04:58:06 AM »
200mm f/2.8L II - 60D - over the beach

(more here: http://atlanticpicture.com/p361947354 )

albedo13

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 01:01:36 PM »
Jim,

Thanks for the advice. I really should start using RAW instead of JPG. I will checkout Fencecheck.

Any tips on how you keep the plane so sharp when it is moving and shutter speed is 1/50-1/80 range? I guess it is really good panning. Do you use IS when panning? I love that sharp spiral effect behind each propeller. How do you do that...is that because of the prop vapor?

The Blue Angels "Fat Albert" C-130 was at the air show and I got this shot (wasn't in a good location so cluttered foreground/background).
I hold the shutter button down and just keep shooting a continuous series of shots.  It seems like after about the first 2 or 3, you get "aligned" with the motion of the aircraft and can sometimes get some that come out sharp enough.  Of course you eat up alot of card space this way, so you have to decide if it is worth getting one good one for a hundred blurry pieces of "abstract art"!  I use IS mode 2 (moving target), because I figure it increases my odds of getting aligned with the moving target.  Start building up your panning skills slowly, i.e. start with panning at 1/100th and get comfortable with that and then slow it down even more gradually.  I like to practice on airliners coming in over my house, or with birds, and I know alot of people use cars on highways to practice.  Maybe you could use surfers there in Hawaii??  It definitely is also a muscle memory thing, it seems like once you are comfortable with a range/method of movement it gets easier, but you also havge to maintain that, so I try to practice at least every couple weeks.

The vapor off the props is a benefit of the slow exposure.  If your exposure is slow enough and you are shooting from the side (as opposed to head or tail on) the blades will actually make several complete arcs as the aircraft moves forward, and you get a corkscrew effect.  I have seen some shots where it is quite dramatic.  Shooting in high humidity or fog makes this even more dramatic.  Would love to see more of your pics, there are probably some unique opportunities there for aviation shots.

Jim

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 01:01:36 PM »