April 17, 2014, 09:44:23 AM

Author Topic: Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD with VC Problems  (Read 6446 times)

Ryan708

• EOS M2
  • Less bickering, more shooting
    • View Profile
Re: Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD with VC Problems
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 12:37:46 PM »
I sent mine directly to a tamron Office after I contacted tamron, and they gave me a PO number. I included some sample shots of the softness, and sent it to them, I forget where, but it was in the USA and came back within 1.5 weeks, better than it was, So, just because it didnt go to japan doesnt mean it wasnt sent to a tamron service center.
60D, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4, Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 VC, EF 50mm 1.8II, and a Sigma EF-610 DG superflash

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 12:37:46 PM »

MickyG

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 05:29:42 PM »
Trust me, I wouldn't care in the slightest where it was sent, as long as it was fixed.

The way this works with DWI, is that you apply for an RMA, and once it's been given, you send it to a local address (Sydney, in this case) at your own cost and then they forward it on to their service center, which in this case is located, well actually I'm not sure where it's located.  I do know that when the lens gets returned, it's always from Hong Kong, so my guess is the "service" center is located there.

So it's made two trips to the "local" center at my expense, and two back, at DWI's.  That's probably around $100 in shipping fees so far!

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 05:50:43 PM »
I'm not sure I can offer any constructive advice different than what has already been written.

I own this lens. It pretty much matched my 100-400 L in sharpness. I did end up buying the 70-300 L (ridiculously expensive, but I just couldn't resist and frankly it probably is worth it) Obviously, the 70-300 L is sharper, faster and better built, but it is also nearly $800-$900 more expensive.

I did have some problems with the Tamron occasionally hunting and hunting unable to focus, but that seemed to be under very limited circumstances and shutting the camera off or manually focusing the lens to get it in the general range of where I wanted to focus seemed to fix that. I have never had any problems with the OS/IS system, although it does make a bit of noise and seems to rattle a bit if you shake the lens.

I know this isn't exactly helpful, but it seems like you are throwing good money after bad. Like others here, I would say bite the bullet and send it straight to Tamron, explaining the situation and the repair history. Maybe they will take pity on you and repair it at no charge.

One problem with a retailer's repair service is that they may not get enough of a specific lens in for repairs to really know what the problems are. They may be very good at routine repairs, but when you have a persistent and complex problem they may simply not have the experience and expertise to properly diagnose and repair.

I understand your frustration, but if the retailer won't make it right (and it seems you have tried numerous times to get them to do so), I would take it up with the manufacturer and then find another retailer in the future.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

MickyG

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 06:17:54 PM »
Thanks Unfocused - that's actually pretty helpful info.  Firstly, that it's at least similar to the 100-400 L - as I bought this for use at airshows and had seriously considered the 100-400 L.  And secondly that you've compared it to the 70-300 L as that's what I'll get if this all fails.

Funny you should mention the local Tamron service center - I've been considering exactly that.  In fact, I contacted them a few months back but never actually got a response.  Perhaps I should try again.  As a few of you have pointed out now, the amount of money I've already spent could (and should) have been put towards the repair costs for a proper service center.

And frustrations notwithstanding, the retailer has an obligation here (I think).  So I'll continue to investigate that as well.  It's an Australian business front for an HK company, so surely some Australian rules would apply and specifically, those that apply to purchases and warranty claims.  I've got some hunting through legalese to do, it would seem.

MickyG

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 12:15:55 AM »
So the latest from the "repair" arm of DWI (Atech Distribution for all you Aussie people out there thinking of buying from DWI) is that they want me to send it back to them again and they'll refund the shipping, provided the fault exists as I've described it.  Call me a skeptic but somehow I'm thinking this isn't a good plan.

MickyG

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 07:26:03 PM »
Just another update: DWI has agree to replace the lens, provided they can verify it is broken.  I've been very careful with confirming all the details, just in case they decide to do something dishonest (like say I broke it).  Looks like there will be a positive resolution to this, after all!

Ryan708

• EOS M2
  • Less bickering, more shooting
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 08:04:30 PM »
Id like to hear thew result, keep us posted! It stinks when you have your hopes up for something that lets you down like this. I have very little money so the things I buy I think about A LOT before I purchase, and a lemon is SO dissapointing Best of luck!
60D, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4, Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 VC, EF 50mm 1.8II, and a Sigma EF-610 DG superflash

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 08:04:30 PM »

MickyG

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 09:02:51 PM »
Well, it seems we finally have a positive resolution to this whole ordeal.  Today my replacement lens arrived!

It had been so long since I last used it that I was convinced it wasn't the same lens!  DWI used my same box and packing materials so it was a bit misleading in the end.  At any rate, it is the right lens, and it is brand new.  And most importantly, it seems to work correctly.

I'll use it over the next few days to get an idea if it really is all sorted.  If it's not, expect to hear more from me.  In the meantime, thanks everyone for your feedback and interest.

Cheers,

Michael

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 09:02:51 PM »