November 27, 2014, 02:05:41 AM

Author Topic: Help suggest a Tripod for Landscape, low angle shots  (Read 4823 times)

killswitch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Help suggest a Tripod for Landscape, low angle shots
« on: October 06, 2012, 07:23:13 AM »
I am looking to get myself a tripod that is suitable for the listed gears. I am looking to get something that is well built, sturdy and will last a long time. I often like to take long exposure shots, often in portrait modes as well. I would like something that is easy and that you can quickly tumble the mounted gear. I liked those ball joint heads as I thought it was pretty intuitive and easy to use. I currently have a couple of old tripods and I hate screwing and unscrewing knobs to tilt or swivel in order to get the desired frame for the shot.

Oh, so I do landscape. Like shooting from low angles as well. If there are any features in tripod that I may like then by all means please suggest them. I dont have much idea about tripods hence the post.

I would use the tripods to mount the following gears
5D Mark III, with attached lens such as
1) 24-70L f2.8
2) 70-200 f2.8 L IS

I dont see myself ever using lenses heavier than the 70-200. That being said I would like something that can bear the load and wont wobble in windy conditions. Any advice is greatly appreciated. ^_^

canon rumors FORUM

Help suggest a Tripod for Landscape, low angle shots
« on: October 06, 2012, 07:23:13 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Help suggest a Tripod for Landscape, low angle shots
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 08:05:10 AM »
I'd consider a Really Right Stuff Versa 2-series and a BH-40 head.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 10:10:40 AM »
The Manfrotto 055XPROB is a superlative tripod, especially for low-angle / macro work on the ground, and it's pretty inexpensive. It's not as light as the carbon fiber tripods, but it's not all that heavy.

Put a Really Right Stuff BH-40 on that, and you're good to go.

If weight is an object and money isn't, RSS is making some great carbon fiber tripods.

Cheers,

b&

RC Photos

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 09:42:29 PM »
Are you planning to travel with your tripod? If so I'd recommend something Carbon Fibre like the Manfrotto 055cxpro4, if not a manfrotto 055xprob will suffice. 

+1 Neuro's tripod head advice

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 09:52:40 PM »
a gorillapod
curl 2 legs up to support the lens and the back leg out the back to stabilise
and your camera will be 2 inches off the ground and solid
APS-H Fanboy

Standard

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 12:35:37 AM »
I'd highly recommend Gitzo. I have the GT2542L Mountaineer & the GT3542XLS Systematic. Expensive but you only need to buy once.

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 03:01:07 AM »
If you're looking at a more affordable option for occasional use, I've been using a carbon fibre Triopo tripod and ball-head for the last few years with success.
Camera Obscura

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 03:01:07 AM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 10:05:03 AM »
The Manfrotto 055XPROB is a superlative tripod, especially for low-angle / macro work on the ground, and it's pretty inexpensive. It's not as light as the carbon fiber tripods, but it's not all that heavy.

Put a Really Right Stuff BH-40 on that, and you're good to go.

If weight is an object and money isn't, RSS is making some great carbon fiber tripods.

Cheers,

b&

+1 055XPROB Very good for Macro work. it is solid and hefty. If you are weight sensitive, the Carbon fibre version is available for $$$ more. The best part is you can shoot grass while being at eye level with this.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 10:07:08 AM by K-amps »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Sitting Elf

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 10:10:19 AM »
I have the carbon fiber Manfrotto. Outstanding! Macro work with it from low level is easy and painless. Well designed.

jalbfb

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 12:08:58 PM »
Another vote for the 055XPROB by Manfrotto. I went with the 324RC2 Manfrotto ballhead.  I already had Manfrotto's rapid release plates so I opted for this head rather than exceeding my budget for the Really Right Stuff system (head and plates).  If I could have I probably would have gone the RRS way, but at the time I knew that I would spring for the 5D3 when it came out so I was trying to conserve my allotted budget.
Happy owner of the 5D Mark III, 24-105 f/4L and other L lenses

friedmud

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 02:07:49 PM »
I use a Manfrotto 055XProB with a Manfrotto 322RC2 grip release ball head.

I've travelled the world with it for the last 3 years.  Almost all of the shots here ( http://500px.com/friedmud ) were taken with it.

My only gripe in 10s of thousands of photos?  Weight.  I love the weight for how sturdy it is... but when trekking up a mountain there have been times when I've cursed it under my breath ;-)

Nathaniel Weir

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Nathaniel Weir Photography
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 02:09:03 PM »
A gitzo 2542L with a Markin Q-10 Ball head.  and remove the center column
Canon EOS 5D Mark III w/ grip, Canon EOS 7D with grip, Canon 17-40mm, Canon 24-105mm, Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 L IS USM II, Canon 100mm Macro L IS, Canon 40mm Pancake, Canon 85mm F/1.8, 2x 600 EX-RT Flashes and St-E3-RT. Gitzo 2452L and Manfrotto 410 head.

killswitch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 10:41:45 PM »
Lovely shots friedmud! Thanks a lot for all the nice suggestions guys. Yeah, I am leaning towards the Manfrotto 055XProb, just trying to figure out which head to get with it. The 322RC2 grip ball head looks nice!
I was initially looking at the Manfrotto 294 Aluminum 3-Section Tripod W/QR Ballhead: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/748116-REG/Manfrotto_MK294A3_A0RC2_294_Aluminum_3_Section_Tripod.html

and this one from Oben: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687307-REG/Oben_AT_3410_BA_00T_AT_3410_Aluminum_Folding_Tripod.html

But if 055XProb is the way to go then will most likely get that. I forgot to mention, I tend to take panorama shots of landscapes, architecture so was wondering if there are anything I need to keep in mind when getting a tripod + head.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 10:41:45 PM »

friedmud

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 10:56:31 PM »
Lovely shots friedmud! Thanks a lot for all the nice suggestions guys. Yeah, I am leaning towards the Manfrotto 055XProb, just trying to figure out which head to get with it. The 322RC2 grip ball head looks nice!

Thanks!

BTW - I think the 322 has been superseded by the 324 and 327.

But if 055XProb is the way to go then will most likely get that. I forgot to mention, I tend to take panorama shots of landscapes, architecture so was wondering if there are anything I need to keep in mind when getting a tripod + head.

Whoa - that does change things.  You'll probably _not_ want to get a joystick ballhead like the 32x... you'll want a ball-head that has independent locks and swivels in each direction so you can get perfect panoramas.  The joystick is great for landscapes and macro work... but not good for panoramas (it's almost impossible to rotate it perfectly left to right... you might be able to twist the center column for that purpose... but it's not going to be as good as a purpose built head).

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 11:02:34 PM »
I tend to take panorama shots of landscapes, architecture so was wondering if there are anything I need to keep in mind when getting a tripod + head.

If you've got foreground elements with straight lines in your pano shots, you need to keep in mind the no-parallax point, and the fact that you should be rotating around that, and not your tripod mount hole.  Budget permitting, Really Right Stuff makes great pano gear.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 11:02:34 PM »