July 23, 2014, 04:31:23 PM

Author Topic: Help suggest a Tripod for Landscape, low angle shots  (Read 4440 times)

CharlieB

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Help suggest a Tripod for Landscape, low angle shots
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 11:41:57 PM »
There is no one good tripod for all occasions...

I've got a 18+ lb Majestic that I used to carry thru the Everglades.  Whew...

Old "Leica Tiltall" still going after 35 years

Assorted table top tinker-pods....

Think with tripods, is to be really good at stability, they have to have some weight.   

Almost any tripod will work well _IF_ you add a sandbag from its column.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 11:41:57 PM »

picturesbyme

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • AtlanticPicture.com
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 01:07:05 AM »
if it's not "too late" :) ... Vanguard ..

Small | Large

..and Feisol makes some awesome stuff too..

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 12:42:51 PM »
I use a Manfrotto 055XProB with a Manfrotto 322RC2 grip release ball head.

I've travelled the world with it for the last 3 years.  Almost all of the shots here ( http://500px.com/friedmud ) were taken with it.

My only gripe in 10s of thousands of photos?  Weight.  I love the weight for how sturdy it is... but when trekking up a mountain there have been times when I've cursed it under my breath ;-)

Same here... I respect what it does but it is not my friend during hikes...  :)
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Timothy_Bruce

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 01:22:24 PM »
The Manfrotto 055XPROB is a superlative tripod, especially for low-angle / macro work on the ground, and it's pretty inexpensive. It's not as light as the carbon fiber tripods, but it's not all that heavy.

Put a Really Right Stuff BH-40 on that, and you're good to go.

If weight is an object and money isn't, RSS is making some great carbon fiber tripods.

Cheers,

b&

+1 055XPROB Very good for Macro work. it is solid and hefty. If you are weight sensitive, the Carbon fibre version is available for $$$ more. The best part is you can shoot grass while being at eye level with this.
+1
I can back that up have one for myself. Sturdy tripod and excellent  for macro. And for your low angle shots, you can reverse the main tube and get your Camera down touching the ground if you don't mind using it upside down ;) At first it is distracting  but you get used to it fast, a BG or 1D style Camera is easier to handle upside down by adding an "lefthanded" shutter button and controls for upside down!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 01:27:03 PM by Timothy_Bruce »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 01:50:43 PM »
The Manfrotto 055XPROB is a superlative tripod, especially for low-angle / macro work on the ground, and it's pretty inexpensive. It's not as light as the carbon fiber tripods, but it's not all that heavy.

Put a Really Right Stuff BH-40 on that, and you're good to go.

If weight is an object and money isn't, RSS is making some great carbon fiber tripods.

Cheers,

b&

+1 055XPROB Very good for Macro work. it is solid and hefty. If you are weight sensitive, the Carbon fibre version is available for $$$ more. The best part is you can shoot grass while being at eye level with this.
+1
I can back that up have one for myself. Sturdy tripod and excellent  for macro. And for your low angle shots, you can reverse the main tube and get your Camera down touching the ground if you don't mind using it upside down ;) At first it is distracting  but you get used to it fast, a BG or 1D style Camera is easier to handle upside down by adding an "lefthanded" shutter button and controls for upside down!

LOL  ;D  I never stop learning from this site (my fault for not being a manual reader) I never knew the middle pole could be dismantled and affixed form the bottom.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 02:25:51 PM »
3 Legged Thing Eric x4.

That'll get you all the low angle shots you want, plus it's an awesome tripod for general use.  I personally like it much better than my Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod that others recommended.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 02:55:46 PM by Chewy734 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 02:25:51 PM »