July 25, 2014, 03:29:57 AM

Author Topic: Is Canon EOS-1S the Name? [CR1]  (Read 18870 times)

35mm Film

Re: Is Canon EOS-1S the Name? [CR1]
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2012, 08:52:33 PM »
9K to compete, what a joke, Canon really are a big monopoly, I dont think I can last much longer, Ive wanted something better than the 5D2 for ages, and the 1DX is too expensive, I own a 5D3 but its not the advancement I was wishing for, its a great camera, but was always hoping for a camera imbetween 5D and 1D, this is never going to happen
  Yes I supose 9k is a lot to spend if your not making money from photography, but for me I will wait to see if it turns out to be a good camera then I'll get the design company I work for to buy one. If I like it I'll buy one for my home business.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2012, 08:52:33 PM »

Louis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2012, 08:58:44 PM »
I agree, lets just wait and see, it may not even be 9K, so who knows,

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2012, 09:02:39 PM »
9000$? Why not just get a MF system then?  :o

...and two sets of lenses? Do a price search for lenses for Hasselblad and it will make your eyes water. They're very very good, but phew! Plus the general handling of MF compared to the brilliant versatility that makes cameras like EOS system the first choice for most shooters on the planet, whether professional or amateur.

If I held stocks in any MF company, I'd be calling my broker.

Even at $9k, isn't this a little less than the 1Ds Mk3 was when it launched? I believe that camera went on to sell in large numbers. Provided it's 1-series build, then $9k doesn't sound so unreasonable.

-PW
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:07:37 PM by pwp »

Bombsight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2012, 09:07:11 PM »
Kinda $hitty of Canon to say the new 1DX is their "flagship" only to come out with the "real" flagship shortly afterward.  ???

This frustrats me....the 1dx is the flagship for spots action and events!  This will be the studio flagship, both types of shooting have different needs and thus the bodies will be spec'ed in a different way

You & Canon both need to decide on WHAT "A" flagship is.  ::) ....There can only be one per manufacturer ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagship

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2012, 09:28:03 PM »
Kinda $hitty of Canon to say the new 1DX is their "flagship" only to come out with the "real" flagship shortly afterward.  ???
This frustrates me....the 1dx is the flagship for spots action and events!  This will be the studio flagship, both types of shooting have different needs and thus the bodies will be spec'ed in a different way

Who cares? Flagship, lifeboat or surf-ski...
I'm grateful for an increasingly comprehensive EOS range to suit a variety of shooting styles, budgets and professional requirements.

-PW

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2012, 09:30:25 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2012, 09:32:16 PM »
-1 seems much more likely - $8999 sounds like a 'real' price.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2012, 09:32:16 PM »

KT

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2012, 09:54:48 PM »
The best thing about this EOS-1S price of $9K is that it'll substantially drop the price of the 1D X as most of the early buyers of the 1D X will dump them on eBay and jump ship to the EOS-1S model, now you can get it for a little over 1/2 the original price with 1-2K shutter actuations.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2012, 10:04:34 PM »
The best thing about this EOS-1S price of $9K is that it'll substantially drop the price of the 1D X as most of the early buyers of the 1D X will dump them on eBay and jump ship to the EOS-1S model, now you can get it for a little over 1/2 the original price with 1-2K shutter actuations.

Totally wrong, wrong, wrong..............WRONG!

Why in the heck would I sell the best sports/action camera in the world for something that isn't a sports/action camera?  What the heck are you thinking??
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

crasher8

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2012, 10:08:44 PM »
9000$? Why not just get a MF system then?  :o

...and two sets of lenses? Do a price search for lenses for Hasselblad and it will make your eyes water. They're very very good, but phew! Plus the general handling of MF compared to the brilliant versatility that makes cameras like EOS system the first choice for most shooters on the planet, whether professional or amateur.

If I held stocks in any MF company, I'd be calling my broker.

Even at $9k, isn't this a little less than the 1Ds Mk3 was when it launched? I believe that camera went on to sell in large numbers. Provided it's 1-series build, then $9k doesn't sound so unreasonable.

-PW

MF isn't just Hassy. Do a little bit of research or check out B&H's MF listing. Not that much higher than Canon's if not even less $$

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2012, 10:18:42 PM »

Totally wrong, wrong, wrong..............WRONG!

Why in the heck would I sell the best sports/action camera in the world for something that isn't a sports/action camera?  What the heck are you thinking??

You'll have the best studio/landscape DSLR.   ;)
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2012, 10:43:48 PM »

Well, not for sports.  But if a 1-series, it would very likely have the 1D X AF and metering, and the main sacrifice would a slower frame rate.  Wildlife photographers might be tempted to trade fps for pixels on target, being able to crop to the framing of the 7D and still have an 18 MP image would be nice.  I know I'd be tempted (but I'd not want to give up the ISO performance of the 1D X along with the fps).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Chris_prophotographic

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »

This frustrats me....the 1dx is the flagship for spots action and events!  This will be the studio flagship, both types of shooting have different needs and thus the bodies will be spec'ed in a different way

You & Canon both need to decide on WHAT "A" flagship is.  ::) ....There can only be one per manufacturer ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagship

i have to agree , i don't like playing guessing games with  LARGE purchases though. FLAGSHIP does hint at top of the top.  anywho im married to the brand.
1D X, 7D, 70-200mm MK II, 24 L MK II, 35 L, 10-22, 40mm,  Samyang 8mm, 50 1.8 mk II, PW II's
PW III's , MultiMax's, TT5's 580 II's, SB-28's

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2012, 11:20:19 PM »

1DX vs 1S = two different target markets; very little crossover. Some shooters will be very happy to have one of each, just as the EOS pro pair of choice for plenty of photographers over the past few years has been a 1Ds3 & a MkIV. It's a great combo.

BTW a high % of 1DX bodies would do that 1-2k shutter actuations each week, and a good number will run up over 5K per week.

In the unlikely event there is an increase of any camera type on eBay as a direct result of the existence of the 1S, it's more likely to be suddenly obsolete lower end or older MF kits.

-PW
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 11:24:13 PM by pwp »

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2012, 12:27:25 AM »
Yep, 1DS III was $8000 at release and for the first few months.

Heck, even the 1Ds2 was $8,000 when it was released!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2012, 12:27:25 AM »