November 23, 2014, 08:35:34 PM

Author Topic: Is Canon EOS-1S the Name? [CR1]  (Read 20534 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Is Canon EOS-1S the Name? [CR1]
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2012, 11:12:49 AM »
Yep, 1DS III was $8000 at release and for the first few months.
Do you know how long it took before it took to come down a bit?  And do you remember what it came down to?

It came down pretty fast actually, because of the 5D Mark II.  I remember it retailing when the 5D2 was new for $6899, then $5999, then $4999, until the used prices went under $4k when there weren't any new ones anymore.

I don't ever remember seeing the 1DsIII retail new for $5K...

EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2012, 11:12:49 AM »

CanonFanBoy

« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2012, 11:15:07 AM »
If the new upcoming 46Mp beast is costing $9,000 ... Canon is sending a clear message to all its customers ... "If you want high MegaPix with medium format like quality and can't afford to pay .... Go .. Just go away .. And go with Nikon ... Canon does not want you as a customer ... Good Bye"!!!!   

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2012, 11:20:38 AM »
Yep, 1DS III was $8000 at release and for the first few months.
Do you know how long it took before it took to come down a bit?  And do you remember what it came down to?

It came down pretty fast actually, because of the 5D Mark II.  I remember it retailing when the 5D2 was new for $6899, then $5999, then $4999, until the used prices went under $4k when there weren't any new ones anymore.

I don't ever remember seeing the 1DsIII retail new for $5K...

Grey market :)

Just kidding.  I was likely unable to differentiate in my mind whether I was looking at new and used prices.  I definitely remember the $6899 tag for a long time.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

justsomedude

• Canon 6D
  • 5D3, 6D and 7D2
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2012, 05:11:21 PM »
If the new upcoming 46Mp beast is costing $9,000 ... Canon is sending a clear message to all its customers ... "If you want high MegaPix with medium format like quality and can't afford to pay .... Go .. Just go away .. And go with Nikon ... Canon does not want you as a customer ... Good Bye"!!!!

Canon has already clearly been sending that message.  I've been trying to hold tight the past few months - waiting to see how Canon responded to the d800.  But among friends and family, I've been starting to recommend Nikon bodies to new shooters.  The rumored $9,000 1DS just cements my evolving/changing attitude toward Canon.

Canon used to lead the dSLR market with innovative products that met photographers' needs and demands.  Now it just seems that they're throwing sh*t at the wall to see what sticks, with no clear path for progress/innovation.  Just take a look at the lineup... 60D, 60Da, EOS-M, 6D, 7D, 5D2, 5D3, 1DX... and with the rumored 7D2 and 1DS in the pipeline, I have absolutely no f*cking idea what Canon is doing.  Are NINE bodies really necessary to satisfy the high-end shooter market?  :o

Nikon seems to have a clear path with their D4 and D800 offerings, and their pricing is certainly attractive.  These last 6 months have been difficult for Canon fans, and as long as Canon continues to insult us with subpar offerings at insanely high prices, more and more shooters will be very seriously considering Nikon products.

I haven't abandoned Canon yet, but after my D800 arrives and I've had time to thoroughly evaluate the Nikon system, I may be making the permanent switch.

Sorry, Canon... but it's you, not me.

Louis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2012, 06:03:55 PM »

Canon has already clearly been sending that message.  I've been trying to hold tight the past few months - waiting to see how Canon responded to the d800.  But among friends and family, I've been starting to recommend Nikon bodies to new shooters.  The rumored $9,000 1DS just cements my evolving/changing attitude toward Canon.

Canon used to lead the dSLR market with innovative products that met photographers' needs and demands.  Now it just seems that they're throwing sh*t at the wall to see what sticks, with no clear path for progress/innovation.  Just take a look at the lineup... 60D, 60Da, EOS-M, 6D, 7D, 5D2, 5D3, 1DX... and with the rumored 7D2 and 1DS in the pipeline, I have absolutely no f*cking idea what Canon is doing.  Are NINE bodies really necessary to satisfy the high-end shooter market?  :o

Nikon seems to have a clear path with their D4 and D800 offerings, and their pricing is certainly attractive.  These last 6 months have been difficult for Canon fans, and as long as Canon continues to insult us with subpar offerings at insanely high prices, more and more shooters will be very seriously considering Nikon products.

I haven't abandoned Canon yet, but after my D800 arrives and I've had time to thoroughly evaluate the Nikon system, I may be making the permanent switch.

+1 for this post I completely agree

crasher8

« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2012, 06:12:27 PM »
Three amazing camera bodies came out of Canon this past year and folks are acting like they have their heads in the sand. With all the problems Nikon has had with their flagship models, I for one am not surprised Canon hasn't had a nee jerk response to high MP frenzy. Big picture ladies. In the meantime I am going to enjoy shooting with my 5D3 for a long time to come.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2012, 07:08:20 PM »
Three amazing camera bodies came out of Canon this past year and folks are acting like they have their heads in the sand. With all the problems Nikon has had with their flagship models, I for one am not surprised Canon hasn't had a nee jerk response to high MP frenzy. Big picture ladies. In the meantime I am going to enjoy shooting with my 5D3 for a long time to come.

They're not talking of high MP only.  They're also talking of high DR and affordability in the Nikon lineup.  Canon is good enough on its own but unfortunately, it's not the only DSLR in this world and it will always invite comparison from other DSLRs thus Nikon.  If price isn't justifiable against specs compared to Nikon for example, of course, it will be concluded that the Canon technology is overpriced against Nikon.  For me, I just hope Canon can lower their price a little bit and increase their DR a little bit even if it's not as high as that of the Nikon.  I mean, it's already 2012.  If these specs of cameras were released 2 years ago, there will be no complaints.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2012, 07:08:20 PM »

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2012, 12:41:23 AM »
9K to compete, what a joke, Canon really are a big monopoly, I dont think I can last much longer, Ive wanted something better than the 5D2 for ages, and the 1DX is too expensive, I own a 5D3 but its not the advancement I was wishing for, its a great camera, but was always hoping for a camera imbetween 5D and 1D, this is never going to happen
  Yes I supose 9k is a lot to spend if your not making money from photography, but for me I will wait to see if it turns out to be a good camera then I'll get the design company I work for to buy one. If I like it I'll buy one for my home business.

Agreed.

That's what many people don't get. This is a PRO camera.  A pro will use this camera more in a month than a serious hobbyist will in a year..  And for several years at that rate too. Do people look at the specs for the 1Ds Mark III? It's STILL a fine camera.

When the 5D3 came out, people were pissed that there was this big price increase without much day-to-day improvements over its predecessor. Now that the price is falling on the 5D3, we're getting a good replacement for the 5D2. Nice improvement for the same price. Thank you.

It looks like this new 1S is going to be more of this...  Great upgrade for the same price. I hope. I'm personally very excited about it.  New sensor technology. I think it's going to blow everything away. The 1Dx is THE best sports camera out there. Now Canon may have the best studio camera too.

It will probably be a year before it becomes generally available...  But that okay with me..  More time to save!
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

cliffwang

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2012, 12:59:11 AM »

One of my colleagues is upgrading to FF from T2i.  After we discussed the current price policies from Canon and Nikon.  He decided switching to Nikon.  He has no any EF lens, so that's easy for him to switch.  I believe Canon is going to lo lose many people upgrading to FF from APS-C.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2012, 11:58:08 AM »

If you think it's just about megapixels, you'd be sadly mistaken.  I have the D800, and I still have the 5DC 5D2 and 3.  I've sold some of my canon glass, namely my 14L II, 70 - 200 2.8 IS L I, 50 1.4 and the lens I will miss the most Zeiss 35 ZE f/2.  I used the £2500 I got to get quality Nikon glass.  It's not about the megapixels, although with my 645D I now have 2 cameras that I can print big with. It's about DR too.  I got sick and tired of having to look at chroma noise banding when shooting at 400 ISO and having to undermine the IQ of my shots with noise reduction.  For me the 5D3 was a waste of money.  Yes it's great at low light, so ideal for gig photographers and wedding photographers and the new AF performance is great.  As a predominantly landscape shooter however, I will generally shoot at low ISO and want the best DR I can get.

Would I buy a 46mp Canon?  Not sure.  I am going to hold on to the rest of my Canon gear for now and watch from the sidelines.  If Canon doesn't sort its sh1t out as far as the noise banding is concerned then all 46mp will do is make it even worse.  Yes I was disappointed at 'only' 22mp, but it wasn't the biggest disappointment for me.  DR and low ISO noise performance ruined for me what was a great camera. 

Canon needs to stop making jack of all trades cameras.  For me the 5D3 is a wedding/gig photographer's camera.  They need to have a serious look at their sensor technology and sort out low ISO performance if they want to get the best performance for low ISO landscape shooters.

stewy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2012, 04:01:48 PM »
For me, 46MP would be more than I need. I'm already doing well with a 40D, but there are times when I could use some more resolution. I like my 40D for headshots and closeups, but not so much for portraits and wider angle work unless detail isn't important. I'm waiting to see what Canon announces. I'm curious as to what size sensor this camera will have. Also, what to expect in image quality with the current lineup of lens. It doesn't make sense to have a high resolution, soft and noisy image that I then have to resize to 22MP in order to make it look as good as a 5D2/3 image.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 04:03:45 PM by stewy »

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2012, 11:26:47 PM »
i can't see it having a sensor any bigger than the present FF sensors.  The lenses won't have a big enough image circle otherwise.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2012, 11:26:47 PM »