December 22, 2014, 05:21:11 AM

Author Topic: How does the 5d mk iii think  (Read 1596 times)

bbe

How does the 5d mk iii think
« on: October 06, 2012, 02:11:25 PM »
What i have encontered is this. In P with auto iso f is alway as small as the lens (24-105) f comes with 4.0. If i want less dof i turn the wheel for lets say f11 than shutter time gets greater. Mostly so high its impossible to hold the camera still.
I wonder why shuttertime is raising and not iso.
That is what i want. Does anybody n
Knows how to setup the camera that iso raises instead of shutterspeed.
Thanks in advance

canon rumors FORUM

How does the 5d mk iii think
« on: October 06, 2012, 02:11:25 PM »

Semaj Epoh

Re: How does the 5d mk iii think
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 03:29:13 PM »
You can set a minimum shutter speed in the ISO setting menu so that the camera will always increase ISO rather than reducing shutter speed below your minimum value. Hope that's of some use.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 03:34:19 PM »
Problem stated by OP: Camera is using slower shutter not higher ISO

Real problem:  OP is letting the camera do the thinking instead of the person holding it

Solution part 1: get it the hell out of P mode  ::)

If you want to control DoF, don't care about shutter speed as long as it's above a certain minimum, and prefer the ISO ramp up instead, set Av mode, ISO to Auto, and in the menu where you set ISO range, set the min shutter speed you want.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Hesbehindyou

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 05:21:37 PM »
Problem stated by OP: Camera is using slower shutter not higher ISO

Real problem:  OP is letting the camera do the thinking instead of the person holding it

Solution part 1: get it the hell out of P mode  ::)

If you want to control DoF, don't care about shutter speed as long as it's above a certain minimum, and prefer the ISO ramp up instead, set Av mode, ISO to Auto, and in the menu where you set ISO range, set the min shutter speed you want.

To OP: Most people shoot in Av most of the time, just set to whatever aperture gives sufficient depth of field and raise ISO if you need a faster shutter speed.

To everyone else: I've never seen the point of P mode. Are there any situations in which it's better than the other modes?

jabbott

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 05:24:22 PM »
Keep in mind in the menus you can also set the maximum ISO speed that Auto ISO uses.  In a low light environment you may max out the preset Auto ISO max speed easily, well before f/11.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 07:11:39 PM »
To everyone else: I've never seen the point of P mode. Are there any situations in which it's better than the other modes?

P is the camera's Professional Mode.

MWAC Attack-Episode 1: The Camera

Since photography is a hobby for me, I never use it.  :o
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

pierceography

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 11:23:36 PM »

The only time I ever use P is when I hand my camera to a non-photographer.  This worked great at my own wedding, where I obviously didn't want to have a camera in hand.  I switched it to P before the ceremony and handed it to my sister-in-law.  She got some great shots, but would have been lost in any other mode.  Av can be pretty simple, but I didn't want to risk it.

Never used P myself though.  I'm usually in Av, M, or a custom.
5D mark III, 7D, Sigma 12-24mm II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.2L II, 100mm f/2.8L, 135mm f/2L, 2x TC III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 11:23:36 PM »