December 25, 2014, 03:36:23 AM

Author Topic: Needing a primer on batteries  (Read 5306 times)

EOBeav

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
Needing a primer on batteries
« on: October 07, 2012, 01:10:24 PM »
I need to get a 2nd battery for my 5DmkII.  The problem is, I don't know what a better deal is, the original Canon that sells for $50USD+, or an off-brand with similar specs that sells for $35USD? 
In landscape photography, when you shoot is more important than where.

Gear: Canon 5DmkII, 17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4.

canon rumors FORUM

Needing a primer on batteries
« on: October 07, 2012, 01:10:24 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Needing a primer on batteries
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 01:21:53 PM »
Depends on the off-brand. Some are fine, others don't deliver the mAh capacity they claim, or fail prematurely, some cheap knock-offs lack safety circuitry.  You pays your money and you takes your chances...   ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 08:30:44 PM »
Depends on the off-brand. Some are fine, others don't deliver the mAh capacity they claim, or fail prematurely, some cheap knock-offs lack safety circuitry.  You pays your money and you takes your chances...   ;)
The problem is that those in a airplane or your family are taking chances with you.  I'm not aware of any way to determine the quality other than the manufacturers record of good performance.  That limits it to two or three alternate sellers at mose with a excellent record.
You likely paid a lot to get a good camera, why scrimp on the batteries and risk melting the camera down, or just having the battery die when you needed it.

CharlieB

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 11:44:11 PM »
I got two off brand batteries from B&H for my old Rebel / 400D

They worked just the same as the OEM Canon battery.  No difference I could tell...

If you shop, you can get a spare Canon battery for a little bit less.....

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 06:58:46 AM »
If you shop, you can get a spare Canon battery for a little bit less.....

You could also end up with a counterfeit battery.  If the deal looks too good to be true...  Shop around, but stick to Canon Authorized sellers for OEM batteries.

Sitting Elf

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 07:29:08 AM »
I have a few OEM batteries, but the costs outweigh the brand name.

I use Wasabi LP-E6 betteries in my 7D, 5D II and 5D III. They are available on Amazon for $15.99 each and work with the Canon charging unit. (Though I use other chargers as well).  They are 2200mAh which is more powerful than Canon's OEM battery.

The important thing about the Wasabi's is that they have a chip onboard that allows them to communicate with the cameras, giving full available power remaining info.  MANY of the other cheaper brands do NOT communicate, and so you don't know how close they are to running out.  I also have a Wasabi LP-E4N spare for my 1DX which also apprpriately communicates.

Having all the spares is important to me as all my cameras are gripped, and I use two batteries in each.

Take a peek:
http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-Canon-LP-E6/dp/B0041MY32Y/

noncho

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • NonchoILiev.com
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 07:46:41 AM »
I have second not genuine LP-E6 for my 60D. I bought it for 13$ from ebay, it's the same as my original, but with 70-80% of the capacity - great value.   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 07:46:41 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 07:58:17 AM »
...it's the same as my original, but with 70-80% of the capacity...

"Same."  You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means.

DJL329

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 08:35:31 AM »
If you've got a $1,500-3,500 camera, why would you worry about trying to save $15-35 on a spare battery?   ???
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 08:37:34 AM by DJL329 »
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 09:22:11 AM »
If you've got a $1,500-3,500 camera, why would you worry about trying to save $15-35 on a spare battery?   ???
+1

Sitting Elf

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 12:10:21 PM »

1. Because I buy a LOT of them.
2. Because they work just fine, or longer than OEM at less than half the price
3. Because like Apple's prices on RAM which is ridiculous, Canon overcharges for batteries - Unnecessary
4. Because owning an expensive camera doesn't eliminate being cost-conscious or selective.
5. Because I like the yellow pin covers better than Canon's gray ones!  ;D

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 12:16:27 PM »

Ok, I can see the first four (with the caveat that cheaper may costs are being cut somewhere, and that somewhere is often QC).

But...but Canon LP-E6 and LP-E4N batteries all have yellow covers for the contacts.   :P

DJL329

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 01:25:04 PM »

1. Because I buy a LOT of them.
2. Because they work just fine, or longer than OEM at less than half the price
3. Because like Apple's prices on RAM which is ridiculous, Canon overcharges for batteries - Unnecessary
4. Because owning an expensive camera doesn't eliminate being cost-conscious or selective.

The issue is risk versus reward.  I wouldn't risk my $6,000 investment in 2 bodies on the chance that I might save about $30 on a battery.  Is some third-party company going to pay to repair your body if their battery damages it?
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 01:25:04 PM »

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 02:05:52 PM »
I need to get a 2nd battery for my 5DmkII.  The problem is, I don't know what a better deal is, the original Canon that sells for $50USD+, or an off-brand with similar specs that sells for $35USD?

Considering that after all is said and done you are carrying around several thousand dollars worth of equipment I didn't see the value in saving 20 bucks on a battery. And I would recommend making it a point buying the original Canon batteries from an authorized dealer. There are very convincing looking counterfeit batteries out there down to the details and holograms on the package.
Batteries can go bad and cause damage. With an original one from a reputable dealer you are covered at least. 
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

Sitting Elf

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 02:14:35 PM »
The issue is risk versus reward.  I wouldn't risk my $6,000 investment in 2 bodies on the chance that I might save about $30 on a battery.  Is some third-party company going to pay to repair your body if their battery damages it?

Please show me any post anywhere on the net that has proof of a third party battery damaging a camera.
That's like saying that if you don't put a genuine GM air filter on your engine, you risk damage.

C'mon!  The risk is so low as to be non-existent.. but you go ahead and buy overpriced OEM batteries, most of which are made by the SAME companies that are selling under their own brand name for much cheaper.

I own 10 LP-E6 batteries not by Canon... as well as four Canon brands.  Four of the batteries do not have the info chip, and I don't use them much anymore for that reason. My Wasabi's have been PERFECT, with no loss of power; charge evenly and quickly; and work just as well in all three of the cameras I use them in. (7D,5DII,and 5DIII)

If these batteries caused damage in high-end cameras, the news would be all over every photo forum and Photocentric web site in the world.... so where's the substantiation for your caution? You run a much higher risk of damaging your camera by dropping it, or banging it, or playing with your mirror/sensor than you do with batteries.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 02:23:12 PM by Sitting Elf »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 02:14:35 PM »