December 20, 2014, 02:02:11 AM

Author Topic: Needing a primer on batteries  (Read 5228 times)

Sitting Elf

Re: Needing a primer on batteries
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 02:21:01 PM »
Considering that after all is said and done you are carrying around several thousand dollars worth of equipment I didn't see the value in saving 20 bucks on a battery. And I would recommend making it a point buying the original Canon batteries from an authorized dealer. There are very convincing looking counterfeit batteries out there down to the details and holograms on the package.
Batteries can go bad and cause damage. With an original one from a reputable dealer you are covered at least.

So you think reputable dealers don't sell third party batteries cheaper??
Apparently you don't think B&H is "reputable"
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/591870-REG/Pearstone_LP_E6_LP_E6_Lithium_Ion_Battery_Pack.html

And check the reviews. This is one decent brand amongst others. In my case, I prefer Wasabi... Japanese made, and they don't make crappy electronics.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 02:21:01 PM »

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 02:29:48 PM »
4. Because owning an expensive camera doesn't eliminate being cost-conscious or selective.
Bingo. Sure, I could buy all Canon LP-6's, but the reality is that I can buy 3 or 4 of the knock-offs for the price of a single Canon battery. That means 75% of them can fail and I'd still be just as good off...and from reviews, I'd say <5% of them fail completely.

I'd rather not throw away money that could be put towards a nicer filter, a better ball head, or a better set of legs. Failing to be price conscious adds up pretty quickly (buy the $200 filter when the $75 one is just as good, buy the $500 tripod when the $200 combo works just as well, etc).

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 02:39:32 PM »
Not what he stated. He said that disreputable dealers say fake "Canon" batteries. B&H markets those batteries as 3rd party, non-oem batteries. Lots of places do that, simply because OEM batteries are working with huge margins, and they can make more profit selling a battery for $30 (instead of Canon's $60) that actually costs them <$10.

Try dealing with one of the NY scam companies who has the balls to post something like this: http://bestpricephoto.com/h/product_info.php/extended-life-lpe6-lithium-ion-battery-w3-year-replacement-warranty-p-20013?osCsid=abb1f46ace1980698f8d7e30f1b9bbb7

Yes, that's an LP-E6 at 10x the price of a Wasabi, 3x the price of a Canon OEM...but of course its pricier, its that rare "extended life" battery that Canon totally sells

Sitting Elf

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 02:47:06 PM »
I agree that there are scammers everywhere. But one of the reasons for forums like this one is so that people can get opinions and reviews on products from those who actually USE them... not just blind opinions.

The OP asked about batteries. The posts, including mine, have replied with first-hand knowledge of products we actually use, are happy with, and have a educated opinion of.  That is appropriate.  Others, who pooh-pooh the use of anything other than OEM products haven't claimed in ANY of the posts here that they have used third party batteries that have either damaged, or otherwise been a bad purchase. So that makes those kind of posts sound specious, and simply elitist.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 02:57:49 PM »
...it's the same as my original, but with 70-80% of the capacity...

"Same."  You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means.

Clever clever... wow, a scientist, photographer, AND a movie buff.  Fantastic.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 03:20:22 PM »
I agree that there are scammers everywhere. But one of the reasons for forums like this one is so that people can get opinions and reviews on products from those who actually USE them... not just blind opinions.

The OP asked about batteries. The posts, including mine, have replied with first-hand knowledge of products we actually use, are happy with, and have a educated opinion of.  That is appropriate.  Others, who pooh-pooh the use of anything other than OEM products haven't claimed in ANY of the posts here that they have used third party batteries that have either damaged, or otherwise been a bad purchase. So that makes those kind of posts sound specious, and simply elitist.

Sitting Elf has arisen  :)

If you have had first hand experience with them, then you should not be bracketed with those who make unsubstatiated opinions. Nuff said. Lets move on.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

jointdoc

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 03:37:26 PM »
+1 Sitting Elf
Canon 5D MkII; Canon T2i; EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 40 f/2.8; EF-S 18-135; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon 2x Mk. III T.C.; EF 100 f/2.8 macro; EF 16-35 f/2.8L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 03:37:26 PM »

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 04:04:52 PM »
Considering that after all is said and done you are carrying around several thousand dollars worth of equipment I didn't see the value in saving 20 bucks on a battery. And I would recommend making it a point buying the original Canon batteries from an authorized dealer. There are very convincing looking counterfeit batteries out there down to the details and holograms on the package.
Batteries can go bad and cause damage. With an original one from a reputable dealer you are covered at least.

Apparently you don't think B&H is "reputable"
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/591870-REG/Pearstone_LP_E6_LP_E6_Lithium_Ion_Battery_Pack.html

And check the reviews. This is one decent brand amongst others. In my case, I prefer Wasabi... Japanese made, and they don't make crappy electronics.

That's not what I said. Of course you can get thrid-party or even house-brand batteries from good dealers. If it blows up or leaks they will still not help you. If you decide to buy original Canon it makes sense in my opinion to buy from authorized Canon dealers given how many counterfeit items are out there. I don't know anything about those Wasabis. I bought four original LP-E6 and never gave it another thought.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

Timothy_Bruce

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2012, 04:15:12 PM »
I use original Canon LP-E6 and  two GPI  ones. The Canon ones are much more consistent and can relay give something on the % the show.
On the other hand the self discharge on the GPI is much worse and the tend to jump in % what the canons never do.  But the just costed half the price.

With the 7D and 2.xx the % some times just doesn't work.

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2012, 04:17:33 PM »

Let me again rephrase my point:

This has nothing to do with being "elitist". In fact, I'm usually a pretty cheap bastard. But sometimes being successful at being "cheap" means doing it right in the first place. With these batteries there are essentially four choices:

1. Buy whatever from any Chinese vendor on ebay
2. Buy third party from known dealers after doing the research
3. Buy cheap "original" from the guy in #1
4. Buy Canon from a Canon authorized dealer

Chances are, #1 and #3 are junk and you get ripped off. Chances are also that #2 and #4 may (!) actually be the same exact battery from the same Chinese factory with some kind of Japanese quality control in place. What you are paying extra for in #4 is basically some kind of insurance in the probably rare event that the battery destroys your camera - assuming that you keep your receipt etc.

Buying "Canon" from some guy on the web or from a corner store runs the risk of getting one of the many many fake batteries out there. It may not even be a scam on part of the seller. They may just not know. Same thing could actually happen at an authorized dealer I suppose. Counterfeiting has become a serious problem. Talk to people in the pharmaceutical industry where stuff gets swapped along the entire supply chain. There are estimates that 1 in 4 medications are fake.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

brad-man

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2012, 04:54:30 PM »
4. Because owning an expensive camera doesn't eliminate being cost-conscious or selective.
Bingo. Sure, I could buy all Canon LP-6's, but the reality is that I can buy 3 or 4 of the knock-offs for the price of a single Canon battery. That means 75% of them can fail and I'd still be just as good off...and from reviews, I'd say <5% of them fail completely.

I'd rather not throw away money that could be put towards a nicer filter, a better ball head, or a better set of legs. Failing to be price conscious adds up pretty quickly (buy the $200 filter when the $75 one is just as good, buy the $500 tripod when the $200 combo works just as well, etc).

Yes. Buy 4 Wasabi LP-E6s for slightly more than the price of one Canon, and put that money where it really works for you. Bigger faster cards from Sandisk or Lexar...

Sitting Elf

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2012, 05:24:04 PM »
All I'm saying is that I need a LOT of LP-E6 Batteries!!  ;D :P :o
(Crappy quick iPhone shot)

OK so the last one in in this camera line needs an LP-E4N, but the other grips have two batteries in already.  Need fully charged bat's for the road away from chargers for up to three days at a time. (Going to Africa)

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2012, 05:58:25 PM »
All I'm saying is that I need a LOT of LP-E6 Batteries!!  ;D :P :o
(Crappy quick iPhone shot)

OK so the last one in in this camera line needs an LP-E4N, but the other grips have two batteries in already.  Need fully charged bat's for the road away from chargers for up to three days at a time. (Going to Africa)

Do you go to test EOS-1S or 7d2 comparing it to the present gear? :D
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2012, 05:58:25 PM »

prjkt

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2012, 07:29:42 PM »
Bought two identical off-brand batteries for my 450D a few years back, one failed within 2 months, the other is still working... so within my limited experience, that's a 50% fail rate there

having said that, I had a mix of 5-6 official and off-brand batteries for my 350D/400D combo, couldn't really tell the difference with those ones, so it really comes down to the quality of the brand of battery I guess
6D/600D/Tokina 11-16 2.8/Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC/Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS/EF 28mm 2.8/EF 40mm 2.8/EF 50mm 1.8

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2012, 11:34:02 PM »
In Australia, a genuine NP-E3 battery is almost $300.  That's a bit excessive for four AAs and some plastic casing.  Given that you can get an almost identical third party battery for $35, choosing the third party option isn't that hard. (For anyone interested, I've found the ones from Aussie Battery to fit well and have a high shot capacity).

Although I've never had a problem, I am a bit more paranoid about the third party batteries.  I charge them on a granite benchtop with nothing nearby that might catch fire.  And I tend to check on them more regularly.  I don't know if the instances of failure are higher than OEM, but there are enough stories to make you a little wary.
Camera Obscura

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2012, 11:34:02 PM »