September 30, 2014, 09:50:57 AM

Author Topic: 650D Results on DxOMark  (Read 9076 times)

bow26

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Bow's Flickr Photostream
650D Results on DxOMark
« on: October 08, 2012, 07:03:58 AM »
Hi CR Community,

I have been lingering around this forum for some time now, but have not really posted much. Today, I found that DxOMark released their testings for the 650D. However, they showed that the 650D falls short in every way when compared with its competition. So what do you guys think? Personally, I don't view sensor measurement all that seriously, it is how you use the camera and performance in the real world that matters most.

Thanks.

Link: http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/CANON-EOS-650D-Strictly-Status-Quo/Comparisons
5D Mark II, 550D, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8 II

canon rumors FORUM

650D Results on DxOMark
« on: October 08, 2012, 07:03:58 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 650D Results on DxOMark
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 07:11:31 AM »
Ahhhh, welcome and thanks. The fire definitely needs another log.  :o

So what do you guys think?

I understand their scores for what they are, and more importantly, what they are not.  So...I don't care.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

davidpeter

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 07:33:52 AM »
The DR is worse than the 500D, which is a surprise. But in every other aspects, the sensor is almost the same as the 7D, which is quite good.

However, Nikon still beats us in sensor performance. The new line next year should perform much better to reason a new body over my old 1D mkIII...

ChrisP

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 07:38:40 AM »
Although I'm not a potential 650D user, I still care about its performance because it shows a trend in Canon’s dslr development. It shows a company which have fallen so much behind recently, and apparently doesn’t do much to catch up. Choosing to go backwards in dynamic range from 600D to 650D is just a mystery to me.

I ‘m still heavily invested into the Canon dslr system, but one may worry if Canon’s  “laissez faire” attitude to sensor technology , may devaluate second hand values of Canon lenses and other equipment.

kirillica

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • LinnikVisuals
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 08:22:39 AM »
I understand their scores for what they are, and more importantly, what they are not.  So...I don't care.
+1

mystic_theory

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 09:28:37 AM »
I already knew that the 650D sensor was the same of the 7D and all the (many) younger siblings, so I'm not surprised at all, disappointed I already was. Since I want to stay with crop sensor cameras (lighter and cheaper equipment, and I don't need professional grade photos), and I needed another camera, I got myself a "new" 550D for 290 GBP, which has the same sensor performance of the 650D (and consequently of all the Canon crop lineup).

As long as Canon doesn't make some decent crop camera they won't get another dime from me: I'll just keep buying used/refurbished Canon cameras, until Nikon's get better enough than Canon's to compensate for their inferior lenses: at that point I'll just jump on the Nikon band wagon.  8)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 09:30:58 AM by mystic_theory »

compupix

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Drew Faber Photography
Re: DxOMark Canon 650D “same old, same old”
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 12:17:58 PM »
DxOMark: CANON EOS 650D: Strictly Status Quo
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/CANON-EOS-650D-Strictly-Status-Quo
[T]he 650D uses the same 18 Mpix APS-C CMOS sensor that Canon has used in this line since 2008.
Canon is outclassed by both Sony in terms of sensor technology, particularly where color depth and dynamic range are concerned. So the Canon EOS 650D’s strong points must be found elsewhere. ... Canon chose to focus its efforts on designing a camera with such ergonomic improvements as a capacitated touchscreen display and an innovative, quick, quiet, and powerful hybridized autofocus. In video mode, the autofocus operates continuously and takes full advantage of the emerging new line of lenses equipped with Stepping Motor (STM) technology.
[T]he line that marks the gap between Canon sensor performance and those of Nikon and Sony is becoming more pronounced, particularly for dynamic range and color depth ... And in fact, the excellent test scores of the Nikon D600’s 24 Mpix full-frame digital reflex make us all the more eager to test the Canon EOS 6D’s 20 Mpix full-format sensor. For the EOS 650D’s sensor, however, even its hybridized autofocus cannot deflect the conclusion drawn from our DxOMark test results: “same old, same old.”
Canon, Nikon, & Minolta used to trade patents. I wonder if Sony doesn't play that game or if Canon just doesn't have anything worthwhile to trade.
--
Thanks,
Drew
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 12:35:27 PM by compupix »
--
Thanks,
Drew

canon rumors FORUM

Re: DxOMark Canon 650D “same old, same old”
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 12:17:58 PM »

heptagon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 05:03:05 PM »
Well someone needs to wake up Canon before they be gone.

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 06:58:13 PM »
Oh no someone has pointed out the consumer grade canon camera is just that...that's it I'm selling my gear and going to Nikon  :P

dtaylor

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 07:32:33 PM »
DxO probably ranks it higher than a Hasselblad medium format back, so...what are you complaining about?  ;D

DxO - the Mark of the Clueless.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 07:35:42 PM »
I would guess that a lot of the target market for the 650D are going to use incamera jpegs rather than RAWS.

For the remainder who shoot RAW, I'm sure they are confident enough with DPP or ACR to squeeze the best images out of the RAW data.

In practise, unprocessed RAWs have little relevance.  DXO mark seems like reviewing a car with the gearbox removed.

I know there are some on here who love to take photographs of charts, I personally don't.

I also have a bag of lenses which I don't wish to change, so I'll stick with canon.  My current cameras serve me well.  I understand RAW and how to get the best from them.  I have about 3x the resolution I really need.

No rush to switch or change.

friedmud

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 07:57:04 PM »
Just got a text from my friend: he's going to buy my 7D.  Sold my 70-200 f/L IS last weekend to a different friend.

I now have enough to pick up a D600 body.  The rest of my gear will hopefully be sold by the end of next week to finance my Nikon 24-70 f/2.8G.

I can't be the only one....

meli

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
Yes because DXO is the problem, not that Canon is processor-wise stagnant for more than half a decade.

I mean DXO is for the clueless, no matter that their aps-c sensors are bottom leaders and actually getting outclassed by 4/3 cams, they're still better than any cameraphone out there.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »

dtaylor

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 10:03:16 PM »
Yes because DXO is the problem, not that Canon is processor-wise stagnant for more than half a decade.

Yes, a company whose testing methodology places APS-C cameras ahead of medium format digital backs is a problem. Have you ever compared prints from the two?

I mean DXO is for the clueless, no matter that their aps-c sensors are bottom leaders and actually getting outclassed by 4/3 cams, they're still better than any cameraphone out there.

Outclassed by 4/3 cams  ::)

Yes, it appears DxO is for the clueless.

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 10:20:17 PM »
Oh no someone has pointed out the consumer grade canon camera is just that...that's it I'm selling my gear and going to Nikon  :P
Did you notice that the Nikon D3200 scored an 81(the same as a 5DIII at roughly 4x times it's cost)?
650D scored a 62, in the realm of Samsung, Lumix, etc
While I don't take these sensor tests as the end all be all, I do think they give a decent idea of DR, ISO range, and overall sensor performance.
If Canon fans choose to say things like "our sensors are good enough" or "DXO is BS", that's fine... but at some point people should open their eyes to the fact that Nikon has basically dominated Canon for the past few releases.
I recently sold my 5DC and 24-105 and bought a D700 and 24-70. The image quality is significantly better, the bokeh better, low light is 3x better, and the AF is literally night and day, not to mention the overall user experience(after becoming accustomed to the change,) is much better, it is absolutely incomparable. The AF alone has tripled my keeper rate, and i've switched from center focus, recompose to 3D 51pt AF.
I hesitated and waited and waited, wanting Canon to give me a reason not to change. But after switching, I can clearly see that the D700 is an insanely good camera, way better than the 5DC(i'd guess the 5DII as well) and with an AF that outperforms almost any camera one can buy today.
If you're happy with Canon that's great, but for the rest of the world, it's pretty obvious Nikon is killing them.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 10:20:17 PM »