August 21, 2014, 06:17:18 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Rumors Surface [CR1]  (Read 38908 times)

DB

Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Rumors Surface [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 04:54:15 PM »
The 10fps is as expected moving from Digic4 to Digic5 processors, that plus a modest bump in resolution and slightly better ISO/Noise/DR would be welcome, as long as we get 2 x memory card slots (1 x CF + 1 x SDXC) and GPS/WiFi as standard (the latter negates the need for an articulated screen). The current AF system is fine. If Canon do that and price it at $2k then I'll sell my 7D and buy a 7D2, in other words; I'd pay another 500 for those upgrades.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 04:54:15 PM »

pierceography

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 05:00:13 PM »
If Canon do that and price it at $2k then I'll sell my 7D and buy a 7D2, in other words; I'd pay another 500 for those upgrades.

Agreed.  But if the camera is over the $2,000 mark, there had better be some REALLY nice features to justify the price to upgrade.  And I'm not talking about GPS, articulating screen, or touch screen.  In fact, I'd pay money NOT to have the last two "features" on a prosumer SLR.
5D mark III, 7D, Sigma 12-24mm II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.2L II, 100mm f/2.8L, 135mm f/2L, 2x TC III

DB

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 05:22:45 PM »
the WFT-E5 for Canon 7D is €699 (that's almost $1,000) where I live, so I'll take WiFi included thanks. And then shoot wireless remote using my Manfrotto tripod + iPhone, with full LiveView and full ISO/Av/Tv control as well as image playback => all from a distance
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 05:24:45 PM by DB »

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 05:36:58 PM »
I'm afraid it will have a lot of more or less useful features but not much better IQ.
We should expect 2 digics, android & ios support, gps, radio remote flash, touchscreen, built-in flash, 3-6 MP more and 1/4 - 1/2 stop better ISO performance with the same DR. AF better than 5d3, maybe even better than 1dx. It could also be strong in video as 1dx. Looking at similarities between 1dx and 1dc, maybe this time the "C" brother of this new 7d2 could be some high fps video camera (1920p @60, 720p @120)?
Priced at 2499$-2999$ depending on video features.
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 06:13:13 PM »
This is what will get my check book out:
1. Low noise at low ISO, high ISO capable sensor
2. Same or higher frame rate
3. Same or higher MP- but only if point 1 is satisfied
4. Two CF card slots
5. Same or better AF (5DIII level?)
6. Same or better build quality
This is not too much to ask, and given the rumors of a brand new sensor and the 46MP FF, I am guessing they are more than expected.
Besides, it is Canon's fault that I am asking for all this to upgrade- it is they who built the awesome 7D!
I am guessing Canon will also include Wi-fi, maybe even GPS, and some other doo-dads in order to lure unsure buyers, curb perpetual whiners (why didn't they add this if they have it in 6D), and increase the MSRP- but I don't care about those.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 06:24:40 PM by sagittariansrock »
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 06:36:02 PM »
This is what will get my check book out:
1. Low noise at low ISO, high ISO capable sensor

It will be still a low-pro sport/wild camera where shutter speed fights against noise at high iso setting with rather not too fast lens on it. Low noise low iso is not so important as high iso capable sensor.

2. Same or higher frame rate
3. Same or higher MP- but only if point 1 is satisfied

OK

4. Two CF card slots

Not neccesserely.

5. Same or better AF (5DIII level?)
6. Same or better build quality

Agree.

This is not too much to ask, and given the rumors of a brand new sensor and the 46MP FF, I am guessing they are more than expected.
Besides, it is Canon's fault that I am asking for all this to upgrade- it is they who built the awesome 7D!
I am guessing Canon will also include Wi-fi, maybe even GPS, and some other doo-dads in order to lure unsure buyers, curb perpetual whiners (why didn't they add this if they have it in 6D), and increase the MSRP- but I don't care about those.

... and even more not so important stuff included.

I also think it will have the new AF system making benefit from new lenses and even newer ones like 300 f/4 L IS Mk2 and hopefuly other new not expensive teles.
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 06:47:47 PM »
I think we’ll see the APS-C market slow down a bit, now that the D600 and EOS 6D are changing the pricing structure for consumer camera bodies.

This is a puzzling thought. It suggests a consumer who wants to try a DSLR first buys into a Rebel under $1K, and then when he wants to be better, he has two choices:

1. Get a 7D2 at over $2K. There is nothing (xxD) in between, and the 7D2 may be all wrong for him given its intended purposes.

2. Go FF with a 6D at over $2K.

I suppose a third option is a 7D2 AND a FF camera.

Seems to me that leaves a HUGE soft spot between $1K and $2K.

Surely something else is going on.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 06:47:47 PM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 06:48:32 PM »
What I'm reading here is either total speculation or wish-list mutterings. The reality is we have virtually no idea what Canon is likely to dish up, save that it will be an improvement over the 7D.

So I'll delve into the wish-list zone too with a hope that the 7DII ships with features that recognise  the hole left by the discontinued APS-H 1D4. Action shooters appreciate the extra reach be it x1.3 or x1.6, and in a FF world may be faced with the expensive proposition of new, longer lenses to compensate. It shouldn't be too hard to deliver 1D4 levels of iso performance from an 18Mp sensor.

Despite what ignorant pictures of doom and negativity the chronic knockers and trolls try to paint here at CR, what I see is Canon releasing and developing some pretty extraordinary cameras and lenses, right through from P&S to DSLR to the newer Cinema range. I'm loving it.

-PW

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2012, 06:58:12 PM »
oh great so the 7D Mk2 will have the 60D autofocus (all 11 cross type of course) a full plastic body, 3" touch and swivel screen, wifi for facebook uploads, GPS, 1/160s sync speed and a 93% viewfinder.

the 20.1 MP sensor will have the decreased DR and noise performance we know from the 650D.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=9994.0

but it will have a slow hybrid AF.. yipeeehhh.

only one SD card slot, but a popup flash.

and for a mere 1799$ it is yours......

Either that or they will just stick a crop sensor into the 6D body.

Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2012, 07:04:47 PM »
O no, not a merge
I don't want a flip screen on my 7d successor
10 fps sounds good. What about noise reduction?

Flip screen would be nice if they can make the setup all weather-proof.  NR would be nice but DR would be nicer.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2012, 07:07:37 PM »
If Canon do that and price it at $2k then I'll sell my 7D and buy a 7D2, in other words; I'd pay another 500 for those upgrades.

Agreed.  But if the camera is over the $2,000 mark, there had better be some REALLY nice features to justify the price to upgrade.  And I'm not talking about GPS, articulating screen, or touch screen.  In fact, I'd pay money NOT to have the last two "features" on a prosumer SLR.

Why do you hate an articulating screen?  That's one thing I can't understand.  The articulating screen increases your creativity if you know how to use it.  As long as canon can maintain the durability and weather proofing of the camera, articulating screen is great.  At least it's there when you need it.

DB

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2012, 07:20:55 PM »

Why do you hate an articulating screen?  That's one thing I can't understand.  The articulating screen increases your creativity if you know how to use it.  As long as canon can maintain the durability and weather proofing of the camera, articulating screen is great.  At least it's there when you need it.

Whatever about an articulated screen enabling more creativity, wireless liveview remote will be even more creative - you can place the DSLR on the ground (in long grass) where the tilty-swively-flippy screen is useless, have the lens protrude (e.g. bird or wildlife shots) and still have full control + instant playback of images + not be near the camera to scare off subjects.

Whatever you can do with a vari-angle screen you can do more with a portable screen that fits in your pocket. Articulated screens were a fad - a short-lived fad at that too (just a couple of rebels + 60D)

DB

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2012, 07:25:02 PM »
I'm afraid it will have a lot of more or less useful features but not much better IQ.
We should expect 2 digics, android & ios support, gps, radio remote flash, touchscreen, built-in flash, 3-6 MP more and 1/4 - 1/2 stop better ISO performance with the same DR. AF better than 5d3, maybe even better than 1dx. It could also be strong in video as 1dx. Looking at similarities between 1dx and 1dc, maybe this time the "C" brother of this new 7d2 could be some high fps video camera (1920p @60, 720p @120)?
Priced at 2499$-2999$ depending on video features.

If the above existed for $2,500, it would sell. No question about it, as a 2nd body for Pro/Enthusiasts and as a video DSLR for those who want 1920x1080x60 with All-I

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2012, 07:25:02 PM »

ag25

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2012, 07:31:52 PM »
I've been waiting to upgrade from my T1i, and was hoping to wait for a 60D successor. I found the T1i simply too small, especially after acquiring my telephoto lens.

This should be interesting, because if they merge the two in the upwards direction there will be a sizeable gap between the T4i-series models.

Hopefully the new sensor beings some improvements.

that1guyy

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2012, 07:50:29 PM »
I've been waiting to upgrade from my T1i, and was hoping to wait for a 60D successor. I found the T1i simply too small, especially after acquiring my telephoto lens.

This should be interesting, because if they merge the two in the upwards direction there will be a sizeable gap between the T4i-series models.

Hopefully the new sensor beings some improvements.

Hah. Exactly like me. I am seriously wanting to upgrade my T1i and a 70D would definitely hit the spot. 6fps,
better iso performance, better dynamic range, and better video features (1080p 60p, higher bit rate, All-I, etc??) would go a long way.

Also, to the guy saying a tilt screen was a fad. Well, for video users that is a must. I would not buy a DSLR without it. Please be aware of uses other than your own before posting next time.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2012, 07:50:29 PM »