July 23, 2014, 06:03:22 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Rumors Surface [CR1]  (Read 38202 times)

FTb-n

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Rumors Surface [CR1]
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2012, 12:30:24 AM »
Neuro, it took me a while to figure out your point of contention.  I have always understood that  "separate AF processor" to be the second Digic 4.  This view was reinforced by the fact that the 1D-X  has dual Digic 5+ processors plus "An all-new, 61-Point High-Density Reticular AF and 100,000-pixel RGB Metering Sensor that uses a dedicated DIGIC 4 Image Processor".  With respect to the 7D, that dedicated AF processor is never named, so it seemed logical that it was the second Digic 4.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_1d_x

But, I stand corrected.  It does appear that the 7D has a third processor (in addition to the two Digic 4's) dedicated to auto-focus.  (I now understand it has a fourth for A/D conversion.)

It's curious that the 1D-X uses two Digic 5+ and one Digic 4 to achieve it's phenomenal performance.  It's also curious that the 5DIII has a single Digic 5+.  I can't find documentation suggesting an additional processor in the 5DIII dedicated to focus.  Given that the 5DIII doesn't offer the burst capability of the 7D and, according some users on this forum, the 5DIII also doesn't match the 7D for sports shooting*, it would seem that a single Digic 5+ won't be enough for the 7DII to top the 7D in IQ, burst mode, and focus tracking.  Hence, my guess is that two processors will be needed.  Maybe not dual Digic 5+, maybe a single Digic 5+ and the same, unnamed processor that the 7D uses for focusing.  Or, maybe a Digic 5+ and a Digic 4 for focusing like with the 1D-X.

Hey, if Canon can improve on the 7D in all areas with a single powerhouse chip, then I'm wrong.  But, I don't expect them to do so.  My guess is that Canon will continue to dedicate a chip (maybe not a Digic) to focusing.  Parallel processing is easier with multiple chips.

*I understand "sports shooting" to mean focus tracking, since this is often more valuable than burst mode.  But, I concede, that "complaints" about the 5DIII for sports could be limited to its slower FPS.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 12:56:18 AM by FTb-n »
5D3, 7D | 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 24-70 f2.8L II, 24-105 f4L IS, 35 f2 IS, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 40 f2.8...  |  PowerShot S100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2012, 12:30:24 AM »

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2012, 12:56:30 AM »
I think we’ll see the APS-C market slow down a bit, now that the D600 and EOS 6D are changing the pricing structure for consumer camera bodies.

This is a puzzling thought. It suggests a consumer who wants to try a DSLR first buys into a Rebel under $1K, and then when he wants to be better, he has two choices:

1. Get a 7D2 at over $2K. There is nothing (xxD) in between, and the 7D2 may be all wrong for him given its intended purposes.

2. Go FF with a 6D at over $2K.

I suppose a third option is a 7D2 AND a FF camera.

Seems to me that leaves a HUGE soft spot between $1K and $2K.

Surely something else is going on.

For now, the rumors states a merge between 60D and 7D -> 7D MK II. And, it well may be $2K or over $2K
But Canon may release in a later stadium a 9D positioned below the 7D MKII (and above the xxxD). We had a surprise with 6D as well filling a gap
It looks like Canon is doing a shuffle on their Camera-line namingconvention/models

I just hope the 7D MK II will be a real improvement over the 7D. I like to stick to it next to my 5D MK III

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 01:08:00 AM by candyman »
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

M.ST

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2012, 01:24:42 AM »
Message to the Canon development. BUT A CF-CARD-SLOT IN IT.

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2012, 01:33:49 AM »
Message to the Canon development. BUT A CF-CARD-SLOT IN IT.

I hope your new prototype is not a 7D MK II with only a SD slot  ;)
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

maxxevv

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2012, 01:42:37 AM »
So what should we be expecting here then ?

A ~28Mp camera with an APS-H sensor (with crop mode compatibility ? )  ? Or are we expecting more of the same with an APS-C sensor ?

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2012, 01:59:50 AM »

A ~28Mp camera with an APS-H sensor (with crop mode compatibility ? )  ? Or are we expecting more of the same with an APS-C sensor ?

Well, Canon could surprise us. Merge 60D and 7D to a 7D MKII APS-H
And, later release a 9D as top of the APS-C (but in now way competition to the 7D MKII)
Looks to me that with rumors, anything is possible.

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2012, 02:05:46 AM »
Neuro, it took me a while to figure out your point of contention.  I have always understood that  "separate AF processor" to be the second Digic 4.  This view was reinforced by the fact that the 1D-X  has dual Digic 5+ processors plus "An all-new, 61-Point High-Density Reticular AF and 100,000-pixel RGB Metering Sensor that uses a dedicated DIGIC 4 Image Processor".  With respect to the 7D, that dedicated AF processor is never named, so it seemed logical that it was the second Digic 4.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_1d_x

But, I stand corrected.  It does appear that the 7D has a third processor (in addition to the two Digic 4's) dedicated to auto-focus.  (I now understand it has a fourth for A/D conversion.)

It's curious that the 1D-X uses two Digic 5+ and one Digic 4 to achieve it's phenomenal performance.  It's also curious that the 5DIII has a single Digic 5+.  I can't find documentation suggesting an additional processor in the 5DIII dedicated to focus.  Given that the 5DIII doesn't offer the burst capability of the 7D and, according some users on this forum, the 5DIII also doesn't match the 7D for sports shooting*, it would seem that a single Digic 5+ won't be enough for the 7DII to top the 7D in IQ, burst mode, and focus tracking.  Hence, my guess is that two processors will be needed.  Maybe not dual Digic 5+, maybe a single Digic 5+ and the same, unnamed processor that the 7D uses for focusing.  Or, maybe a Digic 5+ and a Digic 4 for focusing like with the 1D-X.

Hey, if Canon can improve on the 7D in all areas with a single powerhouse chip, then I'm wrong.  But, I don't expect them to do so.  My guess is that Canon will continue to dedicate a chip (maybe not a Digic) to focusing.  Parallel processing is easier with multiple chips.

*I understand "sports shooting" to mean focus tracking, since this is often more valuable than burst mode.  But, I concede, that "complaints" about the 5DIII for sports could be limited to its slower FPS.

AFAIK, the two Digic 4 processors were necessary to convert 18MP data @ 8fps. However, if you consider the fact that the 1DsIII needed 2 Digic IIIs for 21.1MP @ 5fps but the 5DMIII needs only 1 Digic 5+ for 22.3MP @ 6 fps that shows how a more advanced processor may eschew the need for 2 chips.
Since both the MP count and fps of the potential 7DII is up in the air, it is impossible to predict if one 5+ will be sufficient or not, and then again there might well be a Digic 6 by that time.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2012, 02:05:46 AM »

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2012, 02:08:31 AM »

Well, Canon could surprise us. Merge 60D and 7D to a 7D MKII APS-H
And, later release a 9D as top of the APS-C (but in now way competition to the 7D MKII)
Looks to me that with rumors, anything is possible.

APS-H is dead let it go :)

If anything they will release the 7D2 and a slightly modified (weaker) version with a flip out screen and call it the 70D both with ASP-C sensors.
I cant see an 8D, 9D, 4D or 3D coming out any time soon. But a 2D maybe (Double the MP? , probably not though) and the 1D-S like rumoured.
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

Ellen Schmidtee

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2012, 03:52:16 AM »
From the sound of it, I'm afraid they put all their eggs in the MP/FPS numbers. I mean, after all the high ISO performance was never a selling point in the original 7D, it was always the 18 MP/8 FPS that sold the 7D for years. I don't think they are about to change that formula now. That means anyone interested in low noise should either consider a 5D Mark III or even the 6D but don't count on the 7D mark II to fill that void.

7D customers are willing to trade ISO for MP & FPS, but customers who buy Rebels get the same ISO performance, lower FPS, and aren't as impressed by MP anymore.

Canon may, of course, make another sensor for the rebels. I guess it makes economic sense to manufacture less types of sensors, and put older sensors in bottom line cameras until it's replaced, but I also think Canon should start investing in sensors that have better DR, color reproduction, etc, rather than more MP.

I'm sure customers who bought 1100D print >A4 a lot, crop like crazy to squeeze the most of their super telephotos, and are holding their breath for that 18MP sensor to trickle down into the xxxxD series. NOT.

jondave

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2012, 04:08:35 AM »
This is what will get my check book out:
1. Low noise at low ISO, high ISO capable sensor
2. Same or higher frame rate
3. Same or higher MP- but only if point 1 is satisfied
4. Two CF card slots
5. Same or better AF (5DIII level?)
6. Same or better build quality
This is not too much to ask, and given the rumors of a brand new sensor and the 46MP FF, I am guessing they are more than expected.
Besides, it is Canon's fault that I am asking for all this to upgrade- it is they who built the awesome 7D!
I am guessing Canon will also include Wi-fi, maybe even GPS, and some other doo-dads in order to lure unsure buyers, curb perpetual whiners (why didn't they add this if they have it in 6D), and increase the MSRP- but I don't care about those.

Buy a 5D3 then.

I don't understand why a lot of people here think Canon owes us to sell a body that has all these wonderful features and would cost us peanuts.

I can't begin to imagine if people like these were running Canon's product development and marketing, Canon would only be selling 2 DSLR bodies - 1 costing ~$5k, the other ~$1.8k. These will have killer features nobody else can match for the price and sell like pancakes for a year. After which Canon goes bankrupt.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 04:10:45 AM by jondave »

DB

« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2012, 07:32:26 AM »
So does this mean no 70D? I have the money here burning a hole in my pocket, guess I will just go and get the 650d then. I had my heart set on a 70D  :'(

Every year Canon launches a new Rebel body, so 2013 we can expect a 700D. Could Canon conceivably launch a 70D + a 700D at the same time or even in the same year? Maybe they could, but I sincerely doubt it. It would be like BMW launching a new 5-series as well as a new model the 50-series in the same year! Even the marketers are not that dumb :P

edit: it would be like Coca-Cola changing Coke Zero, and then launching Coke Hero (a new product) around the same time
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:34:36 AM by DB »

eddiemrg

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2012, 07:55:03 AM »
any rumors about bundle lenses?
thanks!
Canon 7D - 50 f/1.8 - 70-200 L f/4 IS USM - Canon 15-85

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2012, 07:56:38 AM »

Every year Canon launches a new Rebel body, so 2013 we can expect a 700D. Could Canon conceivably launch a 70D + a 700D at the same time or even in the same year? Maybe they could, but I sincerely doubt it. It would be like BMW launching a new 5-series as well as a new model the 50-series in the same year! Even the marketers are not that dumb :P

edit: it would be like Coca-Cola changing Coke Zero, and then launching Coke Hero (a new product) around the same time

You seem to disagree with yourself.

If Canon launches new Rebel every year
AND
sometimes (but not every year) Canon launches  a higher level body
THEN
in the year when the higher body is launched there is also launched a new Rebel
SO
it's in contradiction to your doubt
THAT
they shouldn't be launched in the same year

SO
not Rebel every year
OR
no higher level body at all
OR
there must be some years (higher body launches), when they are launched in the same year

Prooved :D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:58:43 AM by marekjoz »
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2012, 07:56:38 AM »

Marine03

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2012, 08:04:36 AM »
I say bring on dual SD slots, sure top speed may not be "as Fast" but I can but 100 gig worth of cars for half the price of 1 64 gig CF.... and they take up less space, which mean Canon can use that space for processors or what ever they heck they want to make the camera lighter or what ever..

Hearing people complaining about lack of CF is almost as bad as people complaining that the ancient 30pin connect went bye bye on the Iphone.
6D, 450D(collecting dust), Nifty Fifty, 565EX Flash

wookiee2cu

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2012, 02:29:09 PM »
This is what will get my check book out:
1. Low noise at low ISO, high ISO capable sensor
2. Same or higher frame rate
3. Same or higher MP- but only if point 1 is satisfied
4. Two CF card slots
5. Same or better AF (5DIII level?)
6. Same or better build quality
This is not too much to ask, and given the rumors of a brand new sensor and the 46MP FF, I am guessing they are more than expected.

It's not going to get the same or better AF than the 5DMIII, that AF system is reserved for the 5D line and the 1DX (1DX has AF features the 5D MIII doesn't).  The AF is what is separating the segments and Canon isn't going to shoot themselves in the foot by putting that AF in the 7D MII.  The 6D entry full frame is only getting 11 AF pts, I could see the 7D MII getting more than that because the 7D MII will be marketed for its action shooting where the 6D is marketed for full frame... no way it's getting the 61 AF pts though.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2012, 02:29:09 PM »