August 22, 2014, 04:02:09 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Rumors Surface [CR1]  (Read 38926 times)

chadders

Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Rumors Surface [CR1]
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2012, 01:14:39 PM »
Just back from two weeks vacation and catching up with all the rumours.

It's comforting to see that nothing changes much here. Yet more complaints, moans and hysteria about another camera that hasn't seen the light of day yet (if it ever does). There isn't even a credible spec yet and already we have the usual suspects complaining that it's under-specified, or it's not exactly what they want.

You guys must all have crystal balls. Why don't you take a day off from griping and go take some photographs?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2012, 01:14:39 PM »

Sameer Thawani

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2012, 05:35:26 PM »
I just hope Canon keeps the 7D aka upper end crop sensor body alive. As other posters on this thread have indicated, there's plenty of a market for that, amongst both hobbyists and paid professionals.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2012, 07:23:55 PM »

It's comforting to see that nothing changes much here. Yet more complaints, moans and hysteria about another camera that hasn't seen the light of day yet (if it ever does). There isn't even a credible spec yet and already we have the usual suspects complaining that it's under-specified, or it's not exactly what they want.

You guys must all have crystal balls. Why don't you take a day off from griping and go take some photographs?

That's funny!

Welcome home.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

that1guyy

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2012, 08:32:32 PM »
+1 on Don's post.

I fully intend on keeping my 7D handy. I have three FF's now, but there are definitely times when I want to reach out further. I also use my 7D for those instances where I might need a quick pop-up flash, without having to go through the setup of an E-TTL Flash.

My only wish is that my 7D (as well as the others) had onboard GPS, and WI-FI. I have workarounds, but it would just be simpler if Canon included them in-camera.

I will ALWAYS have an APS-C camera somewhere in my kit.

What if Canon introduces a crop mode on a full frame so you can use it as an APS-C when you need the extra range. I assume Canon will start putting wi-fi on all their cameras soon so maybe you won't need that 7D soon?

Sitting Elf

« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2012, 08:06:47 AM »
+1 on Don's post.

I fully intend on keeping my 7D handy. I have three FF's now, but there are definitely times when I want to reach out further. I also use my 7D for those instances where I might need a quick pop-up flash, without having to go through the setup of an E-TTL Flash.

My only wish is that my 7D (as well as the others) had onboard GPS, and WI-FI. I have workarounds, but it would just be simpler if Canon included them in-camera.

I will ALWAYS have an APS-C camera somewhere in my kit.

What if Canon introduces a crop mode on a full frame so you can use it as an APS-C when you need the extra range. I assume Canon will start putting wi-fi on all their cameras soon so maybe you won't need that 7D soon?

I already have three FF's; two of which are latest models (5D3 and 1DX)
The 7D is still of value for the original reasons mentioned. (APS-C, FPS, and Pop-up Flash).
I wouldn't want to use a FF as an APS-C. Technically, I can do that now. Doesn't make any sense to me.

When I'm out shooting, I carry both the 1DX and 7D. Each have their place. My 5D's are for my Studio. I "might" use the 5D3 on the road occasionally, but don't really see any additional benefit unless I really, really, really need the extra 4 megapixels of the 5D.

AlanF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2012, 09:38:33 AM »
You don't get extra range by cropping a full frame sensor: all you do is to narrow the field of view without increasing the resolution or effective focal length. The reason why the 7D has an apparent better effective focal length is because its APSC sensor has a higher density of pixels that are smaller and closer together than the same number of megapixels on a full frame. The rumoured high pixel FF would be roughly equivalent to the 7D.
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600.

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2012, 10:14:13 AM »
You don't get extra range by cropping a full frame sensor: all you do is to narrow the field of view without increasing the resolution or effective focal length. The reason why the 7D has an apparent better effective focal length is because its APSC sensor has a higher density of pixels that are smaller and closer together than the same number of megapixels on a full frame. The rumoured high pixel FF would be roughly equivalent to the 7D.

How about lighter weight and way better image corners? APS-C is not just the lame man's version of FF. They are tow different tools. If Canon wanted, they caould really make the 7D mk II killer. THis may come with a killer price tag, though...
What is truth?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2012, 10:14:13 AM »

chadders

« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »

That's funny!

Welcome home.

Thanks   ;D

coreyhkh

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2012, 12:51:42 PM »
I hope canon makes the next version good, because there is not many option right now for sport or wildlife guys that need extra reach. The 1dmk4 is good but old and outdated and the 1DX is overpriced and has the wrong sensor. 

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2012, 12:58:41 PM »
I hope canon makes the next version good, because there is not many option right now for sport or wildlife guys that need extra reach. The 1dmk4 is good but old and outdated and the 1DX is overpriced and has the wrong sensor.

Have you tried Celestron? :D
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2012, 11:40:15 PM »

That's funny!

That's what I'm doing when I'm out of the office... taking photographs.  When inside the office, what must I do?  Read more rumors!  :D

Welcome home.

Ellen Schmidtee

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2012, 01:46:24 AM »

How about lighter weight and way better image corners? APS-C is not just the lame man's version of FF. They are tow different tools. If Canon wanted, they caould really make the 7D mk II killer. THis may come with a killer price tag, though...

You'd get better image corner by cropping an FF photo. Look at the reviews of the 24mm f/1.4 USM L at photozone - it has less vignetting on APS-C (1.1 stops vs 3.3 when wide open) because the corners (where the worst of the vignetting occurs) are cropped.

Then again, EF-S lenses with focal length X might have less vignetting at 26.8mm (= half the 7D sensor's diagonal) from the sensor's center than EF lenses with focal length X/1.6, but I've never heard of such testing being done.

DB

« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2012, 12:01:39 PM »

Every year Canon launches a new Rebel body, so 2013 we can expect a 700D. Could Canon conceivably launch a 70D + a 700D at the same time or even in the same year? Maybe they could, but I sincerely doubt it. It would be like BMW launching a new 5-series as well as a new model the 50-series in the same year! Even the marketers are not that dumb :P

edit: it would be like Coca-Cola changing Coke Zero, and then launching Coke Hero (a new product) around the same time

You seem to disagree with yourself.

If Canon launches new Rebel every year
AND
sometimes (but not every year) Canon launches  a higher level body
THEN
in the year when the higher body is launched there is also launched a new Rebel
SO
it's in contradiction to your doubt
THAT
they shouldn't be launched in the same year

SO
not Rebel every year
OR
no higher level body at all
OR
there must be some years (higher body launches), when they are launched in the same year

Prooved :D

As someone who is not a native English speaker (I understand you're Polish), you did not understand my simple logic, so I'll make it even plainer:

(1) Each year Canon typically launches a new Rebel body - so in 2013 we may expect a new 700D (T5i)

(2) Canon DO NOT typically launch a 40D, 50D, 60D......70D (xxD model) each & every year - so once cannot say for sure that one is definitely expected in 2013

(3) It just so happens that 2013 is a year that a replacement for the 60D would normally occur, but to call it a 70D and simultaneously launch a 700D would be too confusing (coincidence that model numbers may conflict)

What I said, in clear concise English was it would be a marketing disaster to attempt to launch 2 new products the same year with nearly identical (except for one zero) model numbers.

...btw P-R-O-V-E-D is how you spell 'proved'...and you actually proved nothing other than trying to be clever...and you did not do a good job at that.

This is a forum for Canon aficionados who are seriously interested in what new products are coming down the line and what the model designation that Canon deem fit to call them e.g. the new 6D is a good example. The 7D is also a model that is due for an upgrade (7D will be 4 years old in 2013) and there are rumours that the 7D2 and a 70D might be merged to create a new King of the Crop Sensors -> this further validates my argument that Canon may be cautious about releasing a new product called the '70D' for the reasons mentioned above. What really matters is what additional features this new flagship crop body will have.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2012, 12:01:39 PM »

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2012, 12:28:42 PM »

As someone who is not a native English speaker (I understand you're Polish), you did not understand my simple logic, so I'll make it even plainer:

(1) Each year Canon typically launches a new Rebel body - so in 2013 we may expect a new 700D (T5i)

(2) Canon DO NOT typically launch a 40D, 50D, 60D......70D (xxD model) each & every year - so once cannot say for sure that one is definitely expected in 2013

(3) It just so happens that 2013 is a year that a replacement for the 60D would normally occur, but to call it a 70D and simultaneously launch a 700D would be too confusing (coincidence that model numbers may conflict)

What I said, in clear concise English was it would be a marketing disaster to attempt to launch 2 new products the same year with nearly identical (except for one zero) model numbers.

...btw P-R-O-V-E-D is how you spell 'proved'...and you actually proved nothing other than trying to be clever...and you did not do a good job at that.

This is a forum for Canon aficionados who are seriously interested in what new products are coming down the line and what the model designation that Canon deem fit to call them e.g. the new 6D is a good example. The 7D is also a model that is due for an upgrade (7D will be 4 years old in 2013) and there are rumours that the 7D2 and a 70D might be merged to create a new King of the Crop Sensors -> this further validates my argument that Canon may be cautious about releasing a new product called the '70D' for the reasons mentioned above. What really matters is what additional features this new flagship crop body will have.

Ok, If this is what you meant, then of course you're right, but it was not clear for me - maybe because I'm not native. I agree, that from this point of view it would be a disaster to launch 7d2, 70d and 700d at the same time.

Proved (by you) ;)
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2012, 12:33:58 PM »
The next 7D whatever it is named will be in my opinion what the 5DM3 was to the 5DM2 is. The 5DM3 setttled all the complaints of its previous 2 versions of the 5d, namely focus system. In the case of the next 7d or whatever it is called, i believe the improvement will definitely be the sensor and the noise as overall the 7d has no competition in its form factor, again my opinion. Another way to say it is the 7d is almost perfect for what it is. I am not totally certain i will buy one since i recently dropped my 1DM3 leaving a good scuff on it meaning i won't be able to sell it without giving it away. My 1DM3 is still very powerful and no slouch and for weddings it is very capable but then again I'd like a little more flexibility when shooting sports in early spring and in the fall since mornings are much darker. The 5DM3 has been my go to for my sports this year yet it laggs just a little more than ideal for sports. I have used the 5DM3 successfully this whole season but a great lowlight sports camera before going nuts on a 1Dx purchase like a new 7D would really fill in that gap. Sad to say i will have a 5D and a 1DM3 probably collecting dust but the value they are to me are beyond what their current and future street values will be. In addition i would get a lot of value out of a 7D2 for weddings but it would affect the use of my 24LII more than i may like since the 1DM3 has it glued on when i shoot weddings and it only increases the focal length by 1.3 making it 31mm. I shoot the 5dm3 with the 50L on most the time too so 31mm and 50mm for most of my wedding work and the 70-200L II when it is needed. The 7D2 would force me to use two very similar focal lengths and the 6D is kinda iffy since the focus system is a joke. I have a lot to weigh my mind on. I don't want to buy two cameras but a better low light sports camera and an additional FF for weddings would be ideal but the budget is tight for a 2 camera purchase. This is what marketers and designers of products count on, the force you to choose one or the other or both based on their specs. How many have pined over which mac to get or camera that had to give up something to buy one or the other? Its constant. Nikon does a better job of giving you most everything you could need for any kind of photography prior to the D800 since they dont skimp on metering or focus systems. When it comes down to it FPS and Focus systems are the two dominant factors for me, next up is hi-iso performance. Buffer used to be one of the top problems but thankfully CF card speeds have surpassed cameras until the D800. Keep things around 20mp and you have no buffer issues. The new Cf standard CFast 2 or whatever will again resolve the high mp buffer issues. Wow, i didnt know i had so much to share but these factors and thoughts are what churn in my brain. :D
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2012, 12:33:58 PM »