How often do you shoot video with your DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
squarebox said:
I know I'm just nitpicking, but I don't shoot video as much as I want to because dealing with the MOV files afterwards is a complete hassle and a half. Really wish they were in a more universal container like AVI.
Actually you can just rename the .mov extension as .avi and they will work as H.264 is the actual codec. Alternatively you can use VLC Media Player for playback and convert for editing later.

Upvote 0
I have a 7D and 5D MkII and I never used it for video - I just don't need it and I am not sure why Canon is even insisting on making all new models now more Video capable. I think the C300 is a really nice project as a clear separation to the Normal Pro DSLRs and that video on Prosumer Models (60D downwards) has also its place as a gimmick.

However Please I want Pro DSLRs (1D X, 5D MK III etc.) that are really optimized Pro Still Cameras and don't have any build in compromises for the additional video features. If I want a device that is not really good at anything but still usable for all what can do, I can use my Iphone 4s ... Which even is a small usable portable computer and Navigation System ... However I also would not use it to write a book, process my pictures or navigate me on a 100miles hike in the alps ...

Upvote 0
D

daveswan

Oh dear another one!

Improvements in sensor / processor that help video will also improve stills as well.

With digital technology there is little, if any, extra cost in implementing video, and if it is implemented, it might as well be done as well as possible.

I'm really hoping that Canon's next generation of Pro / Semi-Pro line (1D>7D) will have clean 1080p cine without moire and aliasing, and resolving close to the Nyquist limit

Upvote 0

tron

Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 7, 2011
I do not object to putting video capabilities in DSLRs but I object putting it if this means higher cost.
Also my 5DmkII has nice video capabilities but focusing is not exceptional and practically has no weather sealing.
If you come to think about it this is surely a "funny" combination!
Autofocusing goes back to the late 80's so it should have been perfected way before the addition of video capabilities.

Upvote 0
D

daveswan

As I remember the video was added to the 5DII's firmware as an afterthought, and totally took Canon by surprise at how it was recieved. It didn't impact the other (Physical) aspects of the camera which were already locked at the time.

The 7D has better weathersealing and autofocus, perhaps because it is 1/2 generation on. I would expect the successor to the 5DII to improve again over the 7D, possibly taking some of the technology from the 1Dx (Already developed), perhaps a single Digic V+ and a Digic IV for the autofocus / exposure functions.

Where I would find common cause with the nay-sayers is if Canon ditched the OVF for an EVF. That would be a very bad move indeed in a primaraly photographic tool, though I would be willing to conceed that it would have a place in a Cine-DSLR.

Upvote 0
Richard8971 said:
Video??? My 7D does video???

One feature I really wish Canon would leave out of their DSLR line. If I wanted a video camera I would have bought one!

D

But it's basically a free feature. Well except a few $ for sound anyway. Case in point, you can download Magic Lantern and enable video on a "stills only" 50D because it has Live View and all video is on a DSLR is recording the Live View. So to truly eliminate video they'd have to ditch Live View. That would be in interesting discussion to see whether the stills only folks would go for that.

That said, I only use DSLR video for controlled shooting. I chase kids with a CX550 due to it's amazing hybrid anti-shake which makes handheld look very stable.

Upvote 0

tron

Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 7, 2011
Please don't get us wrong. Video is fine as long as it doesn't get more attention from CANON instead of still photography and
as long as it is not being used as an excuse for a price increase. Since CANON hasn't solved some basic still photography issues
like autofocusing which exists since the EOS620/650 era we will complain about video getting attention from CANON.
Other than that video is OK I guess

Upvote 0

RC

Jun 10, 2011
tron said:
Please don't get us wrong. Video is fine as long as it doesn't get more attention from CANON instead of still photography and
as long as it is not being used as an excuse for a price increase. Since CANON hasn't solved some basic still photography issues
like autofocusing which exists since the EOS620/650 era we will complain about video getting attention from CANON.
Other than that video is OK I guess
Nicely stated.

Upvote 0

tron

Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 7, 2011
Ryusui said:
tron said:
Autofocusing goes back to the late 80's so it should have been perfected way before the addition of video capabilities.
Have you ever heard of the term "focus puller"?

No. When you mentioned I googled it a little and I read that it refers to filming. Since I am not interested in movie making I have not. I saw however that you quoted my complaining about autofocusing perfection. If you read the whole post you will see that I refer to still photography only. This was not a requirement for better autofocusing for video.

Upvote 0
D

daveswan

Sentatious mode/

Nothing of mankind's invention is ever perfect.

/Sentatious mode

Seriously autofocus, like auto exposure can only go so far. There comes a point where the brain has to be engaged.
Myself I rarely use autofocus, and exposure too is handled manualy (I'm talking stills here, for cine it's a given).

I think though, that the autofocus capapbility of the 1Dx (Much more a stills cam than cine) might prove interesting, as they can now devote a whole Digiv IV (As used to power all of a 5DII) to the job.

Upvote 0
I don't really get all the animosity towards video on DSLRs. I have a 7D and a 60D and use them both about 50% photo / 50% video. It's wonderful having equipment with that flexibility. I have a $5k Panasonic HD camera that I barely touch anymore.

The art of photography is very much related to the art of filmmaking, but they each do have several unique challenges. I love them both and couldn't choose a favorite. They can both be done very poorly and also very beautifully with DSLRs (assuming you have a separate audio capture system).

To me, it's about telling a story. Sometimes it's nice to tell a story with one photo. Some stories benefit from having audio and video, and sometimes you can use a good mix of video, stills and audio in one presentation.

I shoot & develop black and white 35mm film when I want to get back to the essence of photography, and I'll pick up the Panasonic HVX when a DSLR won't cut it for video. But on most assignments, I'll just take my 7D and a couple of lenses. It's a great time to be a photographer and filmmaker.

Upvote 0
R

Ryusui

tron said:
No. When you mentioned I googled it a little and I read that it refers to filming. Since I am not interested in movie making I have not. I saw however that you quoted my complaining about autofocusing perfection. If you read the whole post you will see that I refer to still photography only. This was not a requirement for better autofocusing for video.
My apologies. I did actually read the whole post but it sounded to me like it was referring to the video mode on the camera:

tron said:
I do not object to putting video capabilities in DSLRs but I object putting it if this means higher cost.
Also my 5DmkII has nice video capabilities but focusing is not exceptional and practically has no weather sealing.
If you come to think about it this is surely a "funny" combination!
You didn't specifically say that "photo focusing is not exceptional" and with the sentence structure being the way it is I read it as, "my 5DmkII has nice video capabilities but [the video focusing] is not exceptional".
Again, sorry for the misinterpretation.

Upvote 0
M

Minnesota Nice

I tell you what, you put my 60D on a glidecam HD2000 and a slap an 8mm fisheye on that thing and it's amazing for shooting snowboarding/skateboarding/longboarding videos. The quality is great, shoots in 60 fps, great depth of field, and just in general better control over your video shooting that a handycam.

Short of a pro video camera, I'd take a DSLR with video over most other video cameras if I was strictly doing video.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.