Sigma 135 f/1.8 art - AF consistency

First of all: Happy new year to everyone!

I have the Zeiss 135 f/2 classic and recently sold my Canon 135 f/2 because the sharpness is so disappointing compared to my Zeiss lens. However, a 135 with AF next to my Zeiss is welcome so I'm looking into the 135 art from Sigma.

Some years ago, I sold my 35 art and got the Canon 35 1.4 II because AF was disappointing. I am watching some reviews on youtube and people say that the 135 also has quite some missed shots due to AF performance.

What are your experiences? How does it (AF-wise) compare to the other Sigma art lenses (for example 35 and 50 which I had and still have)? I think the AF-consistency of the 50 art is acceptable, but not great.

I have also (for a moment) considered the 85 1.4 art, but I already have both the 1.2 II from Canon and the 85 1.8 VC from Tamron and I like the relatively compact design and stabilisation of the Tamron. The size and weight of the 85 1.4 art is holding me back from it (and also lack of IS). In addition: from reviews I get the feeling that the 135 art has more resolution than the 85 art. What do you think?

Niels

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
On resolution: all Art primes are staggeringly sharp from testing and reviews I've seen.

On AF, it appears to varies as a function of which lens we're talking about. Aggregating everything I've read from users and reviews on this subject:

20 + 24 Art = I've not read enough on these two, but they are pretty wide FLs and may get away iffy AF better as a result (i.e. larger working DOF for a given aperture than longer FLs).

35 + 50 Art = the AF randomly whiffs in an inconsistent, not-dock-correctible manner. Some folks have had a great experience, others have not, but if you shoot something that cannot be re-shot because the AF whiffs (weddings, events, street, candids, etc.), I would prioritize AF never letting you down near the top of the list, and would avoid these two lenses as a result. However, if you live on a tripod, have time to reshoot, don't mind chimping at 100% to see if you nailed focus, etc. these Art lenses are dynamite for the dollar and should be considered.

85 + 135 Art = apparently these are next-gen in terms of Sigma's AF, and fare better on Canon bodies as a result. They are not bullet-proof, but they appear to nontrivially improved over the 35 and 50 lenses.

LensTip also publishes AF hit rate studies, but they have used differently aged FF bodies over the years and their test method just got bumped up in difficulty in the last couple years. Further, they typically only get one copy. So it's hard to directly compare how the AF performs.

Full disclosure: I've only personally shot the 35 Art from that list. It was a hot mess wider than f/2 on my 5D3 even with extremely careful shooting technique.

- A

Upvote 0
I've used it only once, so do not take me as an absolute authority on it, but I found the Sigma 135mm to be just fine in terms of AF. Note I mean very literally "just fine"; not good, great, or exceptional. It was a touch slower than I remember the Canon 135mm being (it's been a while since I used that lens, though) and it missed a couple of shots more than I'd like when at f/1.8, but not so much so that I really registered it as a problem. I mean, at 135mm and f/1.8, depth of field is so thin it's very hard for any lens and camera to nail AF absolutely perfectly. I do prefer manually focusing for shots like that. But that's fine. Just fine.

For me, the main reason why I tried it once and didn't go for it is really just the size. 135mm isn't a focal length I rely on (100mm is more suitable for most of my work) so hoisting such a large lens around—plus the 82mm filter size—didn't seem worth it to me. The fact you say you like the smaller design of the Tamron 85mm compared to the Canon equivalent suggests to me that you may be in a similar boat and find the Sigma 135mm a little too large to bother with, too. But your mileage may vary and if you can get over the size, it sure did seem like a great lens. I certainly wouldn't let the AF dissuade you.

Upvote 0
edoorn said:
your best bet would be to wait for the new Canon 135mm that is supposed to be released this year. IS and no doubt excellent and fast IS would make it a very nice lens.

I was thinking about that. However, based on other lenses IS does tend to give some resolution decrease for fast primes. I think the new 85 1.4 IS from Canon is slightly less sharp than the Sigma 85 art and if you switch on VC on the Tamron 85 1.8 you also get some sharpness reduction (although not much).

I wonder when the new 135 from canon will be available and how much it will cost compared to the 85 1.4 IS from Canon...

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2012
ahsanford said:
On resolution: all Art primes are staggeringly sharp from testing and reviews I've seen.

20 + 24 Art = I've not read enough on these two, but they are pretty wide FLs and may get away iffy AF better as a result (i.e. larger working DOF for a given aperture than longer FLs).

LOL, how much does it have to miss before it loses its resolution advantage? I used the 20A and 35L II during holiday gatherings between Christmas and New Years, and the AF with the 35L II was much better (on a 5DIV). I typically use servo with BBF, but for the 20A, the constant hunting was resulting in so many AF inaccuracies that resulted in missed shots that I switched to one shot AF. Better, but still not nearly as good as the 35L II/16-35/24-70 II.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Random Orbits said:
LOL, how much does it have to miss before it loses its resolution advantage? I used the 20A and 35L II during holiday gatherings between Christmas and New Years, and the AF with the 35L II was much better (on a 5DIV). I typically use servo with BBF, but for the 20A, the constant hunting was resulting in so many AF inaccuracies that resulted in missed shots that I switched to one shot AF. Better, but still not nearly as good as the 35L II/16-35/24-70 II.

Agree, but less people seem to be complaining about those two compared to the 35 & 50, and that may just be due to ownership numbers or possibly that the 20 & 24 were probably being used manually focused on a tripod a lot more than the 35 & 50.

I seem to recall there was some public info out there about some Art primes had a special improved either AF routine or amount of AF power, and I want to say only the 85 and 135 got it -- the 20 through 50 did not. Can anyone confirm that?

- A

Upvote 0

[email protected]

R5
Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 20, 2014
Thetford, VT
www.camnostic.com
niels123 said:
What are your experiences? How does it (AF-wise) compare to the other Sigma art lenses (for example 35 and 50 which I had and still have)? I think the AF-consistency of the 50 art is acceptable, but not great.

I have also (for a moment) considered the 85 1.4 art, but I already have both the 1.2 II from Canon and the 85 1.8 VC from Tamron and I like the relatively compact design and stabilisation of the Tamron. The size and weight of the 85 1.4 art is holding me back from it (and also lack of IS). In addition: from reviews I get the feeling that the 135 art has more resolution than the 85 art. What do you think?

Niels

In considering Sigma focusing issues, you need to think of it as two different issues:

1) Focus Adjustments Based on Subject Distance and Focal Length
I have found that the AF consistency with my Art lenses (I've owned 5 and currently own 3) was pretty darned good after they were painstakingly and annoyingly optimized with the dock. To give perspective, doing a "quick" dock AFMA process of 1 hour didn't result in best results, but wasting 3 hours on a lens getting it just right did the trick. This length of time was with a zoom lens (18-35), and it's 4x faster with the primes. Glad I did it though. Amazing glass, unmatched in an AF lens.

2) AF Consistency
Once you have it zeroed in with the dock, there is a potential separate issue, which is focus consistency. If you have a properly adjusted lens, this could surface as a probably small problem if it appears at all. It should be worst with the 50 Art, as it has the largest focusing element prior to the introduction of Sigma's new motor system (more on that below). This problem is when the lens knows precisely where to focus, but the motor mechanism fails to consistently get it to the right place each time. It is super easy to test. You lock a camera down and point it at a stationary target and rack the focus one way or the other and then press the AF button and see if it keeps going to precisely the same place each time. My 24mm and 50mm Art lenses consistently focus to within 10-20 percent of the focal plane, which makes me happy. I suspect some folks complaining may have higher standards than I do, or they don't have as well adjusted a copy of the lens.

The 135 Art and the 85 Art were upgraded to a larger focusing motor to both handle the movements of larger/heavier focusing lens elements, and I believe also a second motor or set of gearing that allows for a more fine final adjustment. My 135 Art is rock steady consistent at f/1.8, which is particularly impressive because no other 135 even goes down to 1.8, so it is dealing with the thinnest focal plane of the bunch.

Conclusions:
- If you compare image quality (you can see one comparison below from The Digital Picture...) the Sigma does noticeably better than the Zeiss at f/2, so you'd likely sell that lens barring any odd attraction to a specific rendering quality...
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=924&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=1122&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=1
- The 135 I have didn't even require any AFMA adjustments. More powerful, faster focus motor that appears super confident, where my 24, 50 and previous lenses just felt unnotable.
- The typical answer you'll get on these forums (and it's usually a good one) is to rent the lens and see for yourself with your setup. That said, few people will waste the hour it'll take to adjust the lens (if they even HAVE the dock) with a rental. I'd recommend buying from B&H with the dock and returning if the performance isn't adequate.
- Waiting for Canon is a bit of a sport, but we can expect that if a new 135 does come and has IS, it will not be the same shocking sharpness of the 35mm II, as explained by their engineers in this week's posted interview on their compromises in order to get IS into a lens of that aperture. It appears the 85 IS L is impressively sharp, but doesn't have the Blue Goo and other elements that largely eliminated various aberrations so impressively in the 35. This appears to have been a design compromise decision that seems perfectly rational. This means your choice would likely be to emphasize sharpness with the Sigma or IS with the Canon (if it comes). I'd say that we're likely to see a 50mm come out first, but then I think Canon won't do that because it's become too entertaining to watch some forum members here go apoplectic when they fail to produce one.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
2) AF Consistency
Once you have it zeroed in with the dock, there is a potential separate issue, which is focus consistency. If you have a properly adjusted lens, this could surface as a probably small problem if it appears at all. It should be worst with the 50 Art, as it has the largest focusing element prior to the introduction of Sigma's new motor system (more on that below). This problem is when the lens knows precisely where to focus, but the motor mechanism fails to consistently get it to the right place each time. It is super easy to test. You lock a camera down and point it at a stationary target and rack the focus one way or the other and then press the AF button and see if it keeps going to precisely the same place each time. My 24mm and 50mm Art lenses consistently focus to within 10-20 percent of the focal plane, which makes me happy. I suspect some folks complaining may have higher standards than I do, or they don't have as well adjusted a copy of the lens.

This is what I was referring to with the aforementioned not-dock-correctible AF problems of the 35 and 50. Front- or back-focusing lenses can be accounted for by the camera, but if the lens is inconsistent, it's dead to me. Similar to your test above, see the TDP test with the stamp on 50 Art (look for the butterfly and do the mouseover, read the text above as well) as the kind of thing I am talking about.

If a camera in ideal conditions where all possible OOF issues are addressed (poor light, moving subject, hand shake, too long a shutter, etc.) still cannot deliver very nearly 100% in-focus shots, I find another lens. For what I shoot -- my life, family, travels, etc. -- I get one shot to capture moments and missing any of those moments for some technical reason is not worth any added sharpness these Art lenses create.

So I'll stick with first party AF until someone gives us the hit rate website I've been asking for. LensTip is the only standardized show in town that I've seen, but it only uses one lens on one of two bodies, and those bodies are not always my 5D3.

- A

Upvote 0

docsmith

Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 17, 2010
I'd recommend buying from B&H with the dock and returning if the performance isn't adequate.

^^^ This

One of the reasons I held off on buying a 5DIV is that many told me that my Sigma 50A which works great on my 5DIII, would start to fail on the 5DIV (price, lack of a truly compelling reason to upgrade, and general contentment with the 5DIII were other reasons). I waited until a sale on the 5DIV I couldn't pass up.

It was the first lens I tested on the 5DIV and it works great. I walked around taking a couple of hundred shots and it is hitting about as well as any lens I own (including several "L" lenses). From what I've read, others have had problems. But my 35A (since sold) needed pretty significant adjustment on the dock. My 50A needed only minor adjustment as is pretty stellar on both my 5DIII and 5DIV. My Sigma 150-600S is also rock solid in terms of AF.

My point being, given the different experiences out there, get a lens you can keep, test it yourself with your camera in your system. If it works, great. If it doesn't, make sure that you get it from someplace that you can return it (B&H is always been solid).

Upvote 0
docsmith said:
I'd recommend buying from B&H with the dock and returning if the performance isn't adequate.

^^^ This

One of the reasons I held off on buying a 5DIV is that many told me that my Sigma 50A which works great on my 5DIII, would start to fail on the 5DIV (price, lack of a truly compelling reason to upgrade, and general contentment with the 5DIII were other reasons). I waited until a sale on the 5DIV I couldn't pass up.

It was the first lens I tested on the 5DIV and it works great. I walked around taking a couple of hundred shots and it is hitting about as well as any lens I own (including several "L" lenses). From what I've read, others have had problems. But my 35A (since sold) needed pretty significant adjustment on the dock. My 50A needed only minor adjustment as is pretty stellar on both my 5DIII and 5DIV. My Sigma 150-600S is also rock solid in terms of AF.

My point being, given the different experiences out there, get a lens you can keep, test it yourself with your camera in your system. If it works, great. If it doesn't, make sure that you get it from someplace that you can return it (B&H is always been solid).

I just pulled the trigger and ordered from Amazon Germany because I live in The Netherlands and they offer a really good price at the moment. :)

Upvote 0