Patent: Canon EF 28-560mm f/2.8-5.6L USM
By| August 15, 2016
A patent showing another crazy superzoom has appeared, this time the optical formula is for an EF 28-560mm f/2.8-5.6L USM. We’d assume such a lens would also have IS if it ever came to market. We expected to see a non-L superzoom sometime in 2016, but that has apparently been put off until late 2017 at the earliest.
Patent Publication No. 2016-142795
- Published 2016.8.8
- Filing date 2015.1.30
- Zoom ratio 18.86
- Focal length 28.80 119.57 543.20
- F-number 2.88 4.56 5.88
- Half angle of view (degrees) 36.91 10.26 2.28
- Image height 21.64 21.64 21.64
- The total lens length 281.07 331.07 385.01
- BF 53.05 61.31 40.00
- The effective diameter of the front lens 120.00
I’m not sure this is a superzoom we’re likely to see, but all indications point to Canon definitely developing a replacement for the EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS.