The Next DSLR?
I’m told we’ll be seeing the 5D Mark III announced in October, with delivery shortly there after. I was not given any specs, which is probably a good sign.
We said originally, that the 5D Mark III would come before a 1Ds Mark IV or similar camera. Things appear to have come full circle and negate a lot of what I’ve been told this fall in regards to the 5D3.
Next Announcement Date?
We have the middle of September, possibly September 13-September 15 timeframe for a few more PowerShots. Some folks don’t read the site all that well and have posted other dates quoting us.
We should see the S95 & SX30 successors.
G13? We have heard absolutely nothing about a new G camera. It’s genrally on a 1 year product cycle, which would make it due for replacement any day now.
Another spec list torn apart by the community. The crop factors are off to a lot of people. APS-C isn’t 1/1.6.
Received 8 spec lists today! I expect 1.6x more tomorrow.
1D Mark V
A new claimed spec list of the upcoming 1D Mark 5.
We’re still getting conflicting 1Ds Mark IV & 1D Mark V model names. I’m still not sure what the new flagship will be called.
- Sensor: 36 x 24mm CMOS sensor
- Processor: Dual DIGIC 5
- A/D conversion: 14 bit
- Image sizes: 32.4 mp, 16.2 mp, 8.1 mp @ 5, 3 fps
- APS-H mode (1.3x) – 24.9 mp, 12.5 mp, 6.2 mp @ 8, 3 fps
- APS-C mode (1.6x) – 20.3 mp, 10.1 mp, 5.1 mp @ 10, 3 fps
- Movie Mode: 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97, 25, 23.976 fps
- 1280 x 720 @ 59.94, 50 fps
- 640 x 480 @ 59.94, 50 fps
- APS-H mode (1.3x) – 1920 x 1080 @ 59.94, 50 fps
- APS-C mode (1.6x) – 1280 x 720 @ 119,88, 100 fps
- Viewfinder: Magnification: 0.76x, 100% frame coverage
- APS-H viewfinder magnification zoom: 0.87x – 89% viewfinder crop
- APS-C viewfinder magnification zoom: 1.0x – 82% viewfinder crop
Go on and discuss what you think. This is fairly inline with what we’ve heard previously.
I received a price list from a German dealer today, omitted on the price list was the 1Ds Mark III and 1D Mark IV. The dealer is a pro dealer.
5D Mark II Crazy Price
Best Buy dumping 5D Mark II’s for what appears to be below cost.
Visit Best Buy 5D Mark II Listing
Canon Australia bug or more?
The 5D Mark II is listed twice on the Canon Australia web site, it wasn’t like this a little while ago. A placeholder or a mistake?
*UPDATE* It was pointed out to me that if you click the second 5D Mark II link, the URL says “6D” at the end. *thanks Mike*
Nothing else too crazy today.
Below is an update of the current state of rumors surrounding camera bodies. Most of what’s below is opinion, or clarification of what’s going on.
1Ds Mark IV
I was told a long time ago that a 1Ds Mark IV (or similar) camera would not arrive until late 2011 or early 2012 and would be 40+ megapixels. It would be a “big departure” from the current 1Ds line.
There’s been no information on the line that I’d call factual yet, the information I have been told seems to lead to a new type of camera on top of the Canon lineup.
1D Mark V
We’ve heard a lot about the amalgamation of the 1D/1Ds line over the years. It’s been a lot stronger in the last 6 months. It was over 6 months ago that I was first told a new 1D would arrive before any 1Ds replacement.
I personally think most spec lists recently have been wish lists more than fact, however I post them anyway just in case. I suspect we’ll have better information in the coming week or so.
All signs point to this camera, more than any other.
5D Mark III
Everything I get now says it’s a 2012 camera. Most likely in the February timeframe.
There’s a lot of rumblings about the line splitting into 2 models, nothing concrete though. If this camera was coming this month, I believe we’d hear a lot more about it.
I’ll be posting more of the random stuff I get daily. Things are starting to heat up a bit as announcement season is nearly upon us.
- Canon Australia has sent CPS management to Singapore for product training. [CR2]
- Any Canon announcement will come after Nikon’s announcement on August 24, 2011. [CR2]
- 5D Mark III’s are in the wild and an announcement is imminent [CR1]
- 1D Mark IV’s are out of stock or hard to come by in certain countries. A retailer in New Zealand actually said they won’t be getting any more. [CR1]
- 1Ds Mark IV resolution correction, I’m told it will actually be 36mp.
That’s it from today.