Xmas Edition Magic Lantern
So what’s new for users of the APS-C Canon DSLRs using Magic Lantern?
- You can lower the frame rate down to 4 fps at a shutter speed of 1/4 seconds, which gives you extreme low-light capabilities.
- Overcranking doesn’t really work; the 60D hardly gets 35fps in 1080p. On the other hand, 500D and 50D can now record at 24p!
- For high-contrast scenes with not-so-fast moving subjects, you can get great shadow and highlight detail.
- This feature is enabled on all cameras, but older models may have synchronization issues.
We are also posting a free HDR post-processing workflow for advanced users, based on Avisynth with InterFrame plugin, VirtualDub and enfuse. Check this discussion thread for details!
Tip: HDR and FPS control are available in Advanced mode – press the MENU button!
Download & read more here
A minor firmware update for your T3i/600D
Changes in this firmware: Firmware Version 1.0.1 incorporates the following fixes and changes.
- Clarifies the feature guide description of the digital zoom function for movie-shooting that appears on the camera’s LCD monitor.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which, in rare cases, a computer connected to the camera with a USB cable cannot recognize the camera.
B&H has informed me that the T3i is in stock and ready to ship.
Buy a T3i from B&H w/18-55 II for $899
Canon EOS 600D/T3i Announced
London, UK, 7th February 2011 – Canon today announces the launch of the EOS 600D – a compact, lightweight Digital SLR (DSLR) that makes capturing exciting, fun and creative images easier than ever. The perfect choice for aspiring photographers looking for a combination of outstanding image quality and ease-of-use, the EOS 600D sits at the top of Canon’s entry-level EOS line-up, above the existing EOS 550D and the new EOS 1100D.
Capturing stunning images and Full HD video has never been easier, thanks to a range of automatic shooting modes that beginners can use to instantly express their creativity. A Feature Guide has been added to the user interface to help you learn about the camera as you use it, helping to develop your photography skills. With an unrivalled range of EF lenses, Speedlites and other accessories to enhance your shooting, the EOS system holds the key to the perfect shot – wherever your journey takes you, and whatever the scene before you.
Same as previously reported
There’s nothing new as far as a 600D replacement goes, pretty much confirmation of what we’ve been told before.
- 18mp sensor
- Vari-Angle 3″ LCD
- DiGiC IV.
- Video Snapshot Mode
- Redesign of the model nameplate as well.