Archive for: 8-15
Yay! Free Stuff!
I did a pre-announcement of the contest on Facebook some time ago, and today again at the Planet5D interview. So here it finally is.
The Grand Prize:
The winner may pick one of the following lenses.
The 2nd Prize
A new bag! Once again from Gura Gear.
I will be giving out random prizes to people that participate. You never know when you’re going to get a message from me giving something away.
How it works?
It’s simple, this is a photo contest. The best photograph at the end of the day will win the grand prize. The runner-up will receive the 2nd prize.
Where do I post the images?
You post the images on our forum. There are threads in the forum called “Lens Giveaway Contest”. Post to the corresponding thread for your image submission.
Link to the forum
The following categories are what your photos must fall under. We’re going to be pretty lenient on this, the categories are just a guideline.
The above links go to the corresponding forum thread.
- All images must be posted in the forum to qualify. No email or Facebook submissions will qualify.
- Images must be 700px wide on their longest axis. Larger and smaller are not permitted.
- You may enter the contest as many times in as many categories as you’d like. Remember, one entry per post.
- No commenting in any of the contest threads. They are strictly for images.
- You must use a Canon camera to make the images. I will request EXIF data of all the winners.
- The contest is worldwide, however there are countries in turmoil I will not ship to. I.E Iraq, Central Africa Republic, those sort of places.
- The contest runs from now until November 15, 2011.
- Only post in the boards that are prefixed with *Contest*
- You may watermark your images, but the watermark must be in the corners and not the center of the image.
- You may give a brief description of your photograph.
- No nudity or pornography. If you have an image that you’re not sure whether it’s appropriate, please email me.
- If you can’t figure out a category to post your image in, please email me.
- I will select the best 10 images from each category after the November 15, 2011 end date. Then a panel of judges will select the best in each category and present them, then the same panel will select the overall winner.
Terms & Conditions
- There is no age restriction
- You retain full ownership of your images. They’re yours, not mine.
The above rules will probably evolve and be added to over the next little while, so please keep checking back.
You may discuss the contest on a thread dedicated to it. It can be read here.
Another known source has spoken up and said a 5D Mark II replacement will be in quarter 1 in 2012. It was also said the line would include a “surprise”.
Canon has apparently told some dealers in Europe that the 5D2/24-70 kit will no longer be available.
Signs of a replacement of the 24-70 is starting to show some more signs.
EF 8-15 f/4L
I have been playing with one for a day or two, trying to figure out how to effectively use a fisheye. I’d like a review up by the end of next week.
More soon, been sick.
Canon EF 8-15 f/4L Fisheye
B&H has the fisheye everyone wants
available for preorder in stock.
Order at B&H for $1499
I’m getting lots of emails about how fun the lens is, especially from people with fullframe and crop cameras.
It’s in the wild!
So, the end of July date happened!
The EF 8-15 f/4L Fisheye has landed at The Camera Store in Calgary, Canada. All 4 of the copies they had are spoken for.
I cannot find any other stores with stock at the moment.
…and they aren’t even out yet (other than the 800).
Canon has announced price increases for the following lenses. Effective July 25, 2011.
- EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM lens $1499.00
- EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens $7299.00
- EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens $11.499.00
- EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM lens $10.499.00
- EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM lens $12.999.00
- EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM lens $13.999.00
This is probably a good sign we’re going to see the lenses shipping soon.
Received some information today saying that initial availability of the EF 8-15 f/4L Fisheye will be in the next 20-40 days.
It’s a good bet they want this lens out as soon as possible. It’s going to be a sales winner.
Probably not a shocker
Canon has officially delayed the EF 8-15 f/4L Fisheye, EF 300 f/2.8L IS II & EF 400 f/2.8L IS II.
The new date? No one knows.
A bigtime lens guy said he expects to see “an abominable snowman riding a unicorn” before he sees the new fisheye.
I think June/July at the earliest now.
Official Press Release (Translated)
EF 24-70 f/2.8L II
CPN magazine lists an “EF 24-70 f/2.8L II”. Typo? Probably. Here’s the picture anyway.
The lens is coming, the patent exists. Makes sense that i’ll arrive with the next full frame announcement from Canon, or shortly after. Who knows with all the Canon lens delays though.
EF 8-15 f/4L Fisheye Delayed Again?
B&H Photo is showing the lens will be arriving in May now, instead of March. Check it out.
EF 400 f/2.8L IS II
Delayed the same as above.
5D Mark III External Recorder?
A tipster said the prototype 5D Mark III or similar body is being tested with an external recorder capable of recording RAW video. He was unsure whether or not it was a Canon accessory or a 3rd party product.
1Ds Mark IV
I’ve received a couple of tips from underwater housing stores about the 1Ds Mark IV. It’s claimed it will be the same housing as the 1Ds Mark III.
Underwater housings have never been a good barometer for upcoming products, so I don’t even link the stores anymore. Everything I’ve been told about the 1Ds Mark IV states it will be an ergonomic change from the 1Ds3.
Lots of tips saying April is the month for the next announcement. Nikon is looking to be on the same schedule. I will be very wary of April Fools Day.
I’m off to Indonesia on March 24 for a couple of weeks. I may have a fill-in for a few days while I’m away.
A reader from the fine nation of Germany showed me an invoice saying delivery will take place on March 24, 2011.
I want my fisheye please
NL received a suggestion they won’t be seeing the new fisheye until April in the UK. After asking around here, the same seems to be true for Canada.
I suspect only the Asian markets and very select retailers in the US will receive the lens in March.
70-300 f/4-5.6L IS
At NL, they’ve been told not to expect it until the end of December in Sweden. It doesn’t look like it’ll be under most trees for the holiday season in North America.
8-15 f/4L Fisheye
There’s been nothing to contradict the original release date of January 2011.
300 f/2.8L IS II & 400 f/2.8L IS II
These two lenses will also be available in 2011.
New Camera Image?
Over at PR there’s an image of a Canon DSLR body. There is a claim it could be a new Canon body.
As far as I know you cannot use a branded camera strap with a prototype body. I don’t think anyone would be shocked to know new pro bodies are being tested.