Canon USA Inc. has filed suit against Get It Digital LLC/AllNewShop on claims of trademark violation from the sale of grey market items over ebay.
Canon USA Inc. has files two lawsuits, one against Get It Digital LLC & All New Shop LLC, which Canon claims (and we know) are the same company.
The second suit is against F&E Trading LLC, which is the company behind Big Value, Inc., Electronics Valley, Electronics Basket, DavisMax, 6th Ave & Netsales.
The complaints against these companies are as follows as broken down by Photography Bay:
- Using counterfeit serial numbers on grey market Canon products
- Lack of enforceable warranties or inferior warranty coverage
- Packaging that does not accurately describe the products contained therein
- The inclusion of cheap photocopies of product operating manuals, as opposed to genuine manuals that accompany genuine Canon cameras
- Power supplies and accessories that are counterfeit, manufactured by third parties and/or not compliant with applicable laws, regulations and certifications
We’re not sure what to make of all of this, as we’ve been advertising these grey market deals since Canon USA instituted MMAP pricing to all the major authorized retailers in the United States. We’ve had very few complaints over the years, most of which were about slow shipping and poor customer service. We stopped advertising for Big Value Inc a while ago, after they botched a big EOS 5D Mark III sale and a lot of people had to get refunds and it was a giant pain for customers. We’ve had less than 5 complaints about Get It Digital and All New Shop over the years and we’ll continue to advertise their deals if there are any this week.
We don’t support MAP pricing and hope Canon USA changes their policy and lets retailers sell products the way they want to. It’s better for consumers in the end.
It’s also going to be interesting to see what happens this week as far as Black Friday sales go, we’re seeing some evidence of authorized dealers getting instant rebates from Canon USA and lowering prices.
You can read more over at Photography Bay.