Canon has released an updated version of its Digital Photo Professional (DPP) software, which now supports – in addition to its current range of full-frame DSLRs – the EOS-1D Mark IV, EOS 70D, EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 700D and EOS 100D…
Launched in September 2014, Digital Photo Professional 4 was Canon’s first sweeping change to its popular RAW processing software since its original launch. The latest version of DPP – version 4.1.50 – is a response to feedback from owners of older full-frame and APS-C cameras who are looking for the very latest RAW workflow solution.
Additionally, DPP 4.1.50 supports the recently launched EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM and EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM lenses, the profiles for which are now available for use with the Lens Correction function.
Commenting on the update, Mike Owen, European Professional Imaging Communications Manager, Professional Imaging Department, Canon Europe, said: “DPP 4.0 has proved incredibly popular with our customers and this latest update further extends its appeal to a wider range of users, such as those using the highly successful EOS 5D Mark II. Canon remains firmly committed to offering a complete range of products to photographers and increasingly its software solutions are playing a vital role in delivering the ultimate in image quality from capture to output.”
DPP 4.1.50: KEY FEATURES
- Faster, real-time adjustments.
- Improved RAW file workflow.
- Better, more approachable user interfaces.
- Compatible with 64-bit native environments.
- Colour adjustments for specific colour gamuts.
- Improved highlight recovery provides expanded tonality.
- Improved shadow recovery function.
- Support for movie playback.
- Auto Lighting Optimizer can be applied to JPEG images.
- Better integration with EOS Utility.
You can download DPP 4.1.50 now, free of charge, from Canon Europe’s support site here. Just click on your camera – EOS-1D X, EOS-1D C, EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 6D, EOS-1D Mark IV, EOS 70D, EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 700D and EOS 100D – and select DPP 4.1.50 from the software options to download.
Changes for Digital Photo Professional 3.14.41 Updater for Mac OS X & Windows
- Supports images taken with EOS 7D Mark II, PowerShot SX60 HS, PowerShot G7 X.
- Mac OS X 10.7 is no longer supported
- Windows Vista & Windows XP no longer supported
- A function to delete the shooting data when executing [Convert and save] has been added
- For EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF-M22mm f/2 STM, EF-M18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, the latest lens data can be used, of which Digital Lens Optimizer’s performance has been improved
- Fixed a phenomenon that a file may not be converted and saved if specific character is used in the file name’s first character
- Supports new lens (EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM)
Canon developed the upgraded DPP 4.0 software for the editing of RAW images in response to the needs of professional and advanced-amateur users. The software delivers improved workflow efficiency for photographers who edit large numbers of images at an advanced level, helping them to achieve the key concepts of the EOS series of interchangeable-lens cameras: speed, ease of use and high image quality.
The new software improves on the previous version in such areas as an expanded adjustment range for highlights and shadows as well as enhanced basic functions. Providing users with more freedom when adjusting images, DPP 4.0 includes such new functions as 8-axis color gamut adjustment and an Auto function that automatically analyses the brightness and darkness balance of a histogram and adjusts the tones, or luminance, of an image accordingly.
The new version of Canon’s DPP software delivers greatly enhanced operability and convenience during the image editing process. In addition to featuring an updated graphical user interface (GUI), the software is capable of displaying as many as 10,000 image thumbnails at one time. Further contributing to ease of use, the software lets users not only view selected images for comparison even in the preview window, but also assign ratings to images.
EOS Utility 3.0
Canon’s new upgraded EU 3.0 allows users to connect a camera to a computer via a USB connection or Wireless File Transmitter in order to remotely perform camera settings, transfer images and capture images. Delivering even greater workflow efficiency, EU 3.0 easily integrates with DPP 4.0 to allow users to select and compare images, enabling them to more easily choose the best shot, as well as make slight adjustments to camera settings and reshoot scenes.
Pricing and availability
DPP 4.0 and EU 3.0 come in late June, 2014 and will be a free download.
For those of us that like DPP, which is me (don’t hate me). Canon has released a new version of the software with the following new features and fixes.
- Supports images taken with EOS Kiss X6i / EOS REBEL T4i / EOS 650D, EOS 60Da.
- Supports new lens (EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM).
- Fixed a phenomenon where the camera’s serial number that is displayed in the shooting information of the image is not displayed correctly for some of the EOS 60D.
- Fixed a phenomenon where the buttons for HDR tool cannot be displayed under specific settings of the display.
- Fixed a phenomenon where check mark or rating that is set using Quick Check Tool may not be displayed correctly.
Download from Canon USA (you know the drill, select your OS and download)
Canon Digital Photo Professional Update
We’re told a new version of DPP should be available for download by next Wednesday.
Included in the update will be bug fixes, better handling of 5D Mark III RAW files and a fully functional Lens Optimizer module.