Archive for: EOS 5D Mark III
London, UK, 14 May 2013 – Canon today announces the release of a new in-camera Picture Style pre-set for its range of EOS DSLRs. Created following direct feedback from video enthusiasts, the new Picture Style, called Video Camera X–series-look, enables users to capture EOS Movie footage with lower contrast levels, allowing for easier colour grading during post production processes.
Similar to that available in Canon’s range of X-series camcorders, the new Picture Style works by lowering colour saturation levels and contrast during filming. This makes it ideal for videographers during post production grading processes, especially if complementing with pre-existing footage shot with Canon’s X-series models, or alternatively for those who instantly want to add atmosphere to Full HD movies. In addition, the new Picture Style can also be applied to still images captured in RAW or JPEG formats.
The new Picture Style can be downloaded now from: http://software.canon-europe.com/
From Magic Lantern
Magic Lantern has unlocked RAW video recording in the Canon EOS 5D Mark III. From early reports the quality of the video files is pretty amazing and might be better than the C300 and definitely better than the BlackMagic Cinema Camera.
You can read about the workflow, see sample videos and more at EOSHD.
Read Mor at EOSHD | EOS 5D Mark III at B&H Photo
A list of improvements in firmware version 1.2.1 is listed below.
- Uncompressed HDMI output is now enabled.
- Enables the center AF point to autofocus when the camera is used with Canon EF lens/extender combinations whose combined maximum aperture is f/8.
- Improves the speed of the camera’s acquisition of focus when using a Canon Speedlite’s AF-assist beam.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the LCD monitor may freeze and display Err 70 or Err 80 when a still photo is taken during Live View or in movie shooting mode.
- Fixes a phenomenon that may occur when the continuous shooting priority setting is enabled for multiple exposures, such that, after the sixth image is taken, there is a slight pause before the remainder of the sequence is completed.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the viewfinder display shows incorrect information during AEB shooting.
- Communication with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter has been improved.
- When images have been successfully transferred with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter through the FTP protocol, an “O” will be displayed. When images have not been successfully transferred with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter through the FTP protocol, an “X” will be displayed.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera may not function properly when an Eye-Fi card is used.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the focal length value listed in the Exif information is not displayed correctly for images shot with the EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM lens.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the lens firmware cannot be updated properly.
- Corrects errors in the Arabic language menu.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera changes the AF microadjustment value to -8.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the on-screen guidance cannot be fully displayed when setting the maximum limit value for the “Setting the ISO Speed Range for Auto ISO” option.
Download from Canon USA | EOS 5D Mark III at B&H Photo
5D Mark III’s running the new firmware
We’ve received various reports that EOS 5D Mark III’s that have come back from Canon service in the last week are running firmware 1.2.1.
So I guess if you can’t wait until the 30th of April, you can drop your camera off to Canon!
From Canon USA
Canon has updated the product page for the EOS 5D Mark III and have stated April 30, 2013 as the release date for the new firmware that will include clean HDMI out and f/8 autofocus.
EOS 5D Mark III at Canon USA
Below are the links to the rebate programs at B&H Photo.
EOS Rebates Here | Lens & Speedlite Rebates Here
Canon USA will start a new rebate program on April 14, 2013. Expect more lenses and camera bodies to be on the rebate program this time around. You can also expect big savings on the EOS 5D Mark III.
We’ll post links to the rebate program as soon as they go live around the web. Our price watch pages (at the top right) will also reflect the new pricing as it goes live.
EOS Rebate Program
EF & Speedlite Rebate Program
Firmware coming soon
Lots of questions about the firmware updates Canon announced a while back. A non official source has updated us on the progress of the software updates for the following 3 cameras.
EOS 5D Mark III
Firmware 1.2.0 (may be 1.2.1 when released) will be on our CF cards by the end of April. Canon USA also confirmed this for me.
There is no reported delay on the firmware update for the EOS-1D X. It will arrive in May as previously announced.
Another announcement may be coming at the end of April letting us know when we can expect the 25p at 4K update. One of the challenges is encrypting the firmware to combat hacking or reverse engineering of the software inside the camera.
As for the 120fps/720p mode that leaked in a photo a few weeks ago, that feature won’t appear in the final version of the firmware update due to “stability concerns”.
Buy the: EOS 5D Mark III | EOS-1D X | EOS-1D C
Firmware on schedule
The scheduled release of the EOS-1D C firmware for April is still probable.
I received a screenshot of the firmware being tested a few days and just got around to it today. The screenshot shows all the various frame rates available to you for the EOS-1D C. The biggest addition is the ability to record in 25p at 4K resolution.
We’re told it’s going to be available after NAB. Speaking of, we’ll be in Las Vegas next week for NAB checking out the latest in video gear.
EOS-1D C Test Firmware
I haven’t heard anything more about the EOS 5D Mark III firmware that is due in April. There is also a firmware due for the EOS-1D X in May to fix the AF assist issues with Canon Speedlites.
Buy the EOS 5D Mark III | EOS-1D X | EOS-1D C
New cashback program with Canon UK?
We’re told a cashback program will start in the UK tomorrow and run until March 31, 2013.
Some of the cashback deals may include:
- 5D Mark III £160
- 6D £100
- 7D £80
- 60D £65
- 100 f/2.8L IS Macro £80
- 16-35 f/2.8L II £160
- 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 £80
- 17-40 f/4L £80
- 24-70 f/2.8L II £235
- 8-15 f/4L Fisheye £155
- 70-200 f/2.8L IS II £235
- Speedlite 600EX-RT £80
- G1X £30
- G15 £30
- S110 £20
- SX50 £50
Any purchases made at Focus on imaging may also qualify for the cashbacks, we haven’t confirmed that though.
We’ve been informed of new deals on the Canon EOS 5D Mark III and Canon EOS 6D at BuyDig.com
EOS 6D Body & Kit
(Includes Adobe Elements 11, Sakar Gadget Bag, Zeikos LP-E6 Battery)
EOS 5D Mark III Body & Kit
(Includes 32gb SDHC Memory Card)
You must add the items to your cart to see the deal pricing listed above.