Archive for: EOS C300
After a weekend at Cine Gear 2014 in Los Angeles, it became apparent to me that we won’t be seeing any replacements to the EOS C100, EOS C300 or EOS C500 anytime soon. We were told that the EOS C300 is selling “extremely well” and that the EOS C100 is also selling “better than expected”. The EOS C500 is a bit different and isn’t quite as popular as Canon had hoped, but it could be that the camera is in no mans land as far as price/performance and what people are using $20,000 cameras for.
I did get the impression that Canon does plan to be aggressive in the “A camera” space and will take direct aim at the king ARRI. I’m hypothesizing this point, but after talking to various people, I get the feeling that Canon is serious about clawing its way into the professional, large budget cinema market. With the consumer space in photography shrinking, it does make sense to put resources into new markets for growth.
I don’t think we’ll see any Cinema EOS announcements until next April at NAB 2015.
Canon EOS C100 | Canon EOS C300 | Canon EOS C500
EOS C300 Feature Upgrade offering enhanced autofocusing capability is now available.
Now available from Canon is a feature upgrade for the EOS C300 Digital Video Camera that will offer an autofocus mode to help ensure sharp focus and smooth focus transitions. The upgrade provides a new Continuous AF (Autofocus) Function for all Canon EF autofocus Lenses, using Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology. A new AF Lock setting also lets you change the image framing while holding the desired focus. These critical focusing capabilities are designed to help reduce out of focus video while providing for smooth focus transitions and assist users when operating with small crews.
Learn more about the EOS C300 Feature Upgrade by visiting the dedicated webpage on the Canon USA website.
Canon USA will perform Feature Upgrade on the EOS C300 at a cost of $500*, and will require that the EOS C300 cameras be sent to an official Canon Service Center. Please contact the Canon Customer Support Center for details. This Feature upgrade is only available for the EF mount EOS C300 Digital Cinema Camera.
This information is for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region. Please register your EOS C300. By registering, we will be able to notify you via email when future firmware updates become available for download.
Canon EOS C300 Feature Upgrade | Canon Cinema EOS C300 at B&H Photo
Recent reports about Canon releasing two camera bodies for NAB 2014 in Las Vegas next month look like they were recycled rumors from a long while back.
We’re told by various folks that Canon will make some announcements of non camera items that won’t be a big deal to most people. It looks like a quiet NAB from Canon for the second year in a row.
Again, that means no Cinema EOS camera and no DSLR style video camera. The firmware update for the EOS-1D C is still on the table, and I expect to see a cinema lens or two.
More to come..
Was there any doubt? :)
Setlife Magazine has posted a couple of graphics showing the technical specifications of cameras and lenses used in the making of the cinematography & best picture nominees.
EOSHD points out a very interesting observation. There isn’t a single RED camera on the list. It’s almost a clean sweep by ARRI.
Although, Canon should be happy with the C300’s and C500’s that have shown up in a few films. I think it’s good news for Canon since Cinema EOS is still pretty infant, and as EOSHD points out, they’re under-specced compared to their competition.
Something to build on for Canon.
SetLife Magazine on Facebook | Read Full EOSHD Article
Please note that we suspended download services for Firmware Version 126.96.36.199.00 that was posted Tuesday November 12, 2013 due to a discrepancy in color balance. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience. Firmware Version 188.8.131.52.00 corrects this color balance discrepancy. Any cameras that are running firmware version 184.108.40.206.00 should be updated to firmware version 220.127.116.11.00.
Firmware Version 18.104.22.168.00 incorporates all the functions and modifications listed below:
- EOS C300 Cinema EOS Camera & EOS C300 PL Cinema EOS Camera
- Fixes a phenomenon where the previous firmware version 22.214.171.124.00 offered incorrect color balance.
- Ability to move the magnification viewing area around the LCD using the MAGN Function has been added.
- Support for a 1440×1080/35Mbps recording mode has been added.
- ISO up to 80,000 has been added.
- Functionality to support the optional Canon GPS Receiver GP-E1 has been added.
- A Key Lock menu setting has been added which now makes it possible to lock all operations, including the START/STOP button.
- Using the optional Canon WFT-E6 Wireless File Transmitter, the camera’s remote-control application allows two users to access the same unit via a Wi-Fi link providing simultaneous camera operation and control and metadata input.
- [Lens Exchange] and [ND+]/[ND-] have been added as functions that can be allocated to any assignable button.
- A new Wide DR Gamma setting provides an expanded dynamic range of 800%.
- Flicker Reduction has been improved.
EOS C300 Cinema EOS Camera only
- Provides Push Auto Iris and One-Shot AF operation.
- A new AE Shift function and the selection of various light-metering modes are now available when used with some Canon Cinema lenses (EF mount) and Canon EF Lenses.
- Ability to assign the two control dials to operate either Iris or ISO sensitivity independently has been added.
- Peripheral Illumination Correction Data has been added for seven (7) Canon Cinema lenses (EF mount) and fifteen (15) Canon EF Lenses.
- A function has been added to enable continuous focus and iris setting on a subject in the middle of the screen when one of the two EF STM lenses** is attached.
**[EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM], [EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM].
*Note: Gamma information will not be shown correctly in the metadata of clips filmed on the Wide DR Gamma setting included in Firmware Version 126.96.36.199.00 and above when using the bundled software application Canon XF Utility Ver.1.3.1 or earlier. Therefore, we recommend our customers install Canon XF Utility Ver.1.3.2. The installer for this application has already been released.
Download the Canon XF Utility 1.3.2 for Windows or OS X from the EOS C300 page.
Download the Canon XF Utility 1.3.2 for Windows or OS X from the EOS C300 PL page.