June is the month
Received information from various places that Canon will announce 2 new cameras in June (not including PowerShot updates).
One camera will be an EOS (650D) and the other will be a mirrorless entry.
I’m sure we’re going to start seeing more information in the coming weeks. I also expect Canon to spend a bit of marketing dollars on a mirrorless camera. Maybe we’ll see some teasers.
A Translation of a Japanese Interview
“Canon has been forced to change their plan for 2011 because of the earthquake on the 11th March 2011 in Japan and floods in Thailand, but they are going to be back to the normal operation in 2012.”
Summary of interview with Masaya Maeda, Managing Director and Chief Executive of the Image Communication Products Operation at Canon Inc.
He stated that they are planning to release mirrorless compact system cameras in 2012.
Concept of Canon’s mirrorless system
- Try to develop a compact camera which features high image quality.
- Trying to make cameras smaller and more compact, mirrorless system could be the key.
- Miniaturization of cameras is the top priority, which means the cameras may have a different mount to the EF mount.
- For mirrorless cameras, being able to change lenses is certainly a big merit, however, the ratio of use of interchangeable lenses is very low. We have to think on how we can make users use interchangeable lenses more, that is very critical. We have to look into the whole system as well as miniaturization.
- All DSLRs featuring EF mount would be getting smaller and smaller with high image quality. For interchangeable lenses, we are going to stick to EF mount.
- EF lenses are being developed and extended this will include shooting movies. The compatibility of the new system and the EF system is very important.
- As a premise of the new mount for mirrorless system, “the image sensor will be larger than the regular standard size” would be necessary.
- The quality of image sensor will be improving. Having said that, in time downsizing the sensor is coming in the future.
C300 movie cameras
- C300 contains various ideas of camera systems including new mounts. C300 was made from a lot of feedback from people in the movie industry, a good example is C gamma.
- New unique lenses for movies are going to be marketed in 2012, Auto Focus for movies and the smooth movement of aperture are being developed.”
Source: [NL] via [DCW]
The rumoured lens announcements from a few weeks back have yet to materialize. Beyond what I was told then, I haven’t heard a single thing about the lenses in question.
Lens announcements are always the toughest to pin down. One of the major reasons is, Canon doesn’t have media events for them if they’re being announced alone. If a DSLR is involved, they’re a little easier to get information on.
I have heard some murmurs about a DSLR announcement before or at CES, nothing concrete though.
I haven’t had one PowerShot camera rumor in a while.
Canon at CES?
Yes, they’re there. They’ll be showing their gear at booth 13304. For the moment however, it looks like they won’t be showing anything new. All this could change literally overnight.
Coming Attractions: New Canon Digital SLR Camera Under Development
HOLLYWOOD, California, November 3, 2011/TOKYO, November 4, 2011 – Canon Inc. today announced that the company is developing a new-concept EOS-series digital single-lens reflex (SLR) camera. Incorporating an enhanced version of the video-capture capability offered in the current EOS-series lineup, the new camera will be ideally suited for cinematographic and other digital high-resolution production applications. The model will be equipped with a 35 mm full-frame CMOS sensor and, enabling the recording of 4K video (at a frame rate of 24P, with Motion-JPEG compression), will make possible the type of exceptional image quality and sublime imaging expression to be expected from the next generation of “EOS Movies.”
The announcement coincides with the launch of the Cinema EOS System, marking Canon’s full-fledged entry into the digital high-resolution production industry. The new professional digital cinematography system spans the lens, digital cinema camera and digital SLR camera product categories.
Further details regarding the new EOS digital SLR camera currently under development, including the product name, specifications and scheduled launch date, have yet to be decided.
EOS Movie: A New Industry Standard
Movie recording has been a standard feature in all newly introduced Canon EOS-series digital SLR cameras since the launch of the EOS 5D Mark II in November 2008. Coupled with the diverse array of lenses in Canon’s current interchangeable EF lens lineup, this feature has heralded rich visual expressive possibilities, delivering such characteristics as beautiful image blur and low noise while also garnering kudos for the mobility and maneuverability made possible through the cameras’ compact and lightweight body designs.
The impressive images created by the combination of Canon EOS digital SLR cameras and EF lenses, known as “EOS Movies,” have already earned their screen credentials on the sets of multiple productions, from television commercials and artist promotion videos to episodic dramas and even major motion pictures.