The mount is not forgotten
Canon has plans to introduce new EF-S lenses in the first couple of quarters of 2013. There will be a new push on the crop segment of the EOS lineup and new lenses are going to be a part of that revival. A few lenses are mentioned as highly probable and will appear alongside a new “pro” APS-C camera, currently expected to be the EOS 7D Mark II.
Two niche lenses are mentioned, one being an EF-S zoom fisheye as well as a new IS macro. No mention of focal length on either. A replacement to the wonderful EF-S 10-22 is also mentioned to be in the works. It will probably be a couple of mm wider at the short end.
The most pressing EF-S lenses that need a redo would be the EF-S 18-200 IS, which we hear is in the works and will have an STM focus motor and be longer at the telephoto end. The other is the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS. While this is a very good lens optically, the build quality and internal dust problems leave a lot to be desired. A small refresh would be welcomed.
I’m also told that there have been delays in regards to lenses brought about by new manufacturing technologies that Canon has introduced in their factories. Those issues are being worked out and we can expect Canon to “catch-up with demand” sometime in 2013.
It was also noted that the 1100D and 60D would quietly be discontinued in the first part of 2013 with no replacements being imminent. This one would surprise me a bit, although perhaps the breadth of products in the APS-C line is no longer needed.
Lots of people wondering.
Wondering when you can get your hands on the new Rebel T4i w/18-135 IS STM?
We’re told Adorama is expecting these to be in stock today. I’ll update any other stock notices from other retailers as they roll in.
Canon EOS Rebel T4i w/18-135 IS STM $1199 at Adorama
Canon EOS Rebel T4i at Adorama in Stock
Preorder from B&H
If you preorder the EF 40mm f/2.8 STM from B&H this weekend, all proceeds due to Canon Rumors will be donated to The Big Life Foundation.
- Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM $199 B&H | Adorama | Amazon
- Canon EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM $549 B&H | Adorama | Amazon
Canon Rebel T4i/650D
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Just discovered the new pancake is also part of the new “STM” family of lenses from Canon. The lens is also extremely small with a thickness of 22.8mm and weighing in at 130 grams.
Below are a few more images of the lens in comparison to the EF 50 f/1.8 II.
- Focal length / Aperture: 40mm / 1:2.8
- Lens Construction: 4 group 6 pieces
- Closest focusing distance: 0.3m
- The maximum magnification ratio: 0.18-fold
- Filter diameter: 52mm
- The maximum diameter: 68.2mm
- Length: 22.8mm
- Weight: About 130g
- Lens Hood: ES-52 (Not Included)
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II compared to the Canon EF 40 f/2.8 STM
Lens Design of the Canon 40mm f/2.8 STM
The Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM (Translation)
Here is some addition information about the new EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM.
- Reduced to a minimum focusing distance 0.39m is easy to shoot their proximity to the subject.
- IS features enhanced photography degree at the hands of about four stops to give effective stabilizer for video recording and dynamic IS is equipped with a variety of new features in the environment can take sharp pictures can not be shaken.
- Employing circular aperture EMD (Electronic drive aperture) mounted close to the original than by the light of the background
- STM (Stepping Motor) AF operation of the motor is equipped with dramatically reduced noise and smooth movement of the AF drive control is possible.
- CMOS AF camera equipped with a hybrid approach when using *, quiet and tender while shooting video movies implement Servo AF. (* June 2012 currently compatible devices EOS 650D)..