The reliable Digicame-Info has given a mention to the coming announcement of the EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II. This backs up our recent posts (here & here) stating the lens would be coming in November.
Below is a rundown of what we’ve been told about the lens.
- Smaller than the current EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS
- Will retain the same aperture range of 4.5-5.6
- Zoom ring design instead of push/pull
- Similar design to the EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS (zoom ring at front of lens)
- Lens hood is designed to make using polarizers easier
- Lens hood will be ET-83D (from DCI)
- New thumb screw design on the foot of the lens
- Obvious optical, AF and IS improvements
We’ve had no mention of filter size, or more importantly the price of the lens. I suspect it’s going to cost a fair bit more than the EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS just to separate the two lenses in the lineup.