|This site contains affiliate links to products and services. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.|
There have been a few questions about who has actually made the drone in question.
According to DPReview:
It’s not a Canon-made drone. In late 2016 Canon Marketing Japan made an investment in Prodrone Co., a Japanese drone maker, stating that Canon would install imaging devices on the company’s drones and act as a principal distributor. Canon is aiming for ¥5 billion worth of by 2020 from drone-related imaging sales.
It looks like Canon is moving into drones with the eloquently named PD6E2000-AW-CJ1.
The new drone will use the ME20F-SH super high ISO camera we’ve all seen crazy high ISO footage from. This drone will apparently be aimed at the search and rescue market due to the cameras ability to shoot in low light. The price tag for the drone is reported to be around $20,000, which we assume doesn’t include the $20,000 ME20F-SH camera.
Canon will be showing more about this new drone at the Video Transmission Expo in Tokyo.
While the consumer market for drones is becoming quite large, regulations on recreational use in various countries may be a negative impact on the market growing. Canon may see a far more lucrative market in the industrial space.
Canon ME20F-SH Multi-Purpose Camera captures video at up to 1920 x 1080p 60 and supports both NTSC and PAL broadcast frame rates. The camera incorporates a full frame 35mm-sized sensor with approximately 2.26 million pixels. This results in a pixel that is about 7.5 x larger than the pixels on optional Canon Full-frame DSLR cameras, which provides for camera’s notable ISO rating.
- Ultrahigh sensitivity * 1
- Minimum object illuminance 0.0005 lux or less * 2 (maximum gain of 75 dB, ISO sensitivity equivalent to 4 million) is achieved by a 35 mm full size CMOS sensor * 4 with a large pixel of 19 μm * 3 side and equipped with proprietary technology for the pixel part and reading circuit. Realized. Even in darkness without artificial lighting or moonlight, you will be able to recognize the subject with very few light sources such as starlight.
* 1 Ina camera that can shoot color full HD movies. As of July 30, 2015 (Examination of Canon)
※ 2 Whenmaximum gain is 75 dB. Compliant with “CCTV equipment specification specification method” (TTR – 4602 B) issued by the Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association (JEITA).
(Theoretical value when shooting under color / No accumulation / F1.2 / 30P / 50 IRE)
※ 3 1 μm (micrometer) is one millionth of a meter
* 4 Please refer to the news release announced on March 4, 2013.
* 5 For details of the EF lens with confirmed operation, refer to the specifications.
- With 2-axis gimbals mounted, image shooting without blurring is realized.
- It is possible to change pitch / roll direction and camera direction.
Maximum payload 10 kg
- Weatherproof 6-sheet machine capable of flight at rainy
- We realized a maximum payload of 10 kg with a motor with high power specification