An international team of security researchers has drawn our attention to a vulnerability related to communications via the Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP), which is used by Canon digital cameras, as well as a vulnerability related to firmware updates.
(CVE-ID:CVE-2019-5994, CVE-2019-5995, CVE-2019-5998, CVE-2019-5999, CVE-2019-6000, CVE-2019-6001）
Due to these vulnerabilities, the potential exists for a third-party attack on the camera if the camera is connected to a PC or mobile device that has been hijacked through an unsecured network.
At this point, there have been no confirmed cases of these vulnerabilities being exploited to cause harm, but in order to ensure that our customers can use our products securely, we would like to inform you of the following workarounds for this issue.
- Ensure the suitability of security-related settings of the devices connected to the camera, such as the PC, mobile device, and router being used.
- Do not connect the camera to a PC or mobile device that is being used in an unsecured network, such as in a free Wi-Fi environment.
- Do not connect the camera to a PC or mobile device that is potentially exposed to virus infections.
- Disable the camera’s network functions when they are not being used.
- Download the official firmware from Canon’s website when performing a camera firmware update.
There is an increase in use of PCs and mobile devices in an unsecured (free Wi-Fi) network environment where customers are not aware of the network security. As it has become prevalent to transfer images from a camera to a mobile device via a Wi-Fi connection, we will implement firmware updates for the following models that are equipped with the Wi-Fi function.
These vulnerabilities affect the following EOS-series digital SLR and mirrorless cameras:
|EOS-1DX*1 *2||EOS 6D Mark II||EOS 760D||EOS M5|
|EOS-1DX MK II*1 *2||EOS 7D Mark II*1||EOS 77D||EOS M6|
|EOS-1DC*1 *2||EOS 70D||EOS 1300D||EOS M10|
|EOS 5D Mark IV||EOS 80D||EOS 2000D||EOS M100|
|EOS 5D Mark III*1||EOS 750D||EOS 4000D||EOS M50|
|EOS 5DS*1||EOS 800D||EOS R||PowerShot SX70 HS|
|EOS 5DS R*1||EOS 200D||EOS RP||PowerShot SX740 HS|
|EOS 6D||EOS 250D||EOS M3||PowerShot G5X Mark II|
*1 If a WiFi adapter or a Wireless file transmitter is used, WiFi connection can be established.
*2 Ethernet connections are also affected by these vulnerabilities.
Firmware update information will be provided for each product, in turn, starting from products for which preparations have been completed.