Experiences with the new "enhance details" in the new lightroom update.

I have tested the feature on multiple pictures and while i didnt see any improvement at first, i did see majoy improvements when i learned when and how to use it.

so far i have found that it increases sharpness in files that are already at the sharpnes-limit by smoothing out pixellines.
my other finding is that it reduces noise in high iso pictures, sometimes by up to 1/3 of a stop or more. But it works only some of the times.

What are your thoughts and experiences on "enhance details"?

Black bird picture look at the body of the bird, left is enhanced.
Hedgehog look at the green background and the spikes. noise reduced in bouth, enhanced is on the right.

Attachments

• Unbenannt3.PNG
    Unbenannt3.PNG
    2.1 MB · Views: 195
  • Unbenannt4.jpg
    Unbenannt4.jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 194
  • Unbenannt5.jpg
    Unbenannt5.jpg
    578.9 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
But it works only some of the times.

No surprise. It's machine learning ("AI") based. So when it encounters something it understands because it's been seen already, it could work well. When it gets something outside its envelop (or that can deceive it, depending on the algorithm used), it won't.

Probably, the more images Adobe will feed to it, the more precise it could become with time - but unlike more deterministic approaches, these features will be still a bet for some time.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
interesting. Found a similar feature buried in ON1 under the Tone Enhancer Effect. With it and a bit of other tweaking.. this is a post processed image showing added detail

Your image had the lighting adjusted, which is nice, but is not the same as increasing certain tiny details for a properly adjusted image. Lightroom also has a machine learning feature to adjust lighting, it also has limitations and I can often improve on it manually, but it is pretty good most of the time.

I tried editing a well exposed and sharp image in DPP to compare, using DLO and proper sharpening, fine detail was better with DPP, just not as easy.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Your image had the lighting adjusted, which is nice, but is not the same as increasing certain tiny details for a properly adjusted image. Lightroom also has a machine learning feature to adjust lighting, it also has limitations and I can often improve on it manually, but it is pretty good most of the time.

I tried editing a well exposed and sharp image in DPP to compare, using DLO and proper sharpening, fine detail was better with DPP, just not as easy.

Fair enough I did adjust it to balance the colours a bit.. here's the moon with only a crop and the tone enhancer Detail effect. I've purposefully cranked the setting beyond what I'd normally use (starts to look artificial), but you can see it pops detail without adding too much artifacts.. its surprisingly well done

IMG_1857.jpgIMG_1857 copy1.jpgOn1 tone enhancer .png

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
what feature in lighroom does this?

Autotone. The latest Lightroom CC classic has the version that works best. Its AI based and used thousands of images adjusted by expert users with calibrated monitors to develop adjustments that attempt to produce the image liked by the experts. Of course, we are all different, so it is at least a good starting place. It does not adjust sharpness or NR, you have to apply that. It also does not change white balance, just the basic adjustments.

Be aware that if your monitor is not properly calibrated, the image could be too bright or too dark, so make sure its calibrated first if you see a problem, than manually adjust the image to your preference. You are always the one who is right on this.

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/lightroom/lightroom-classic-cc-7-1-auto-tone-ai-sensei/

Upvote 0