Restocked: Refurbished Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM $1679 (Reg $1899)

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Canon USA store has restocked refurbished Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM lenses. It comes with a full 1-year Canon USA warranty
Product Highlights

EF-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
Aperture Range: f/2.8 to f/32
One Fluorite Element & Five UD Elements
Air Sphere Coating
Ring-Type Ultrasonic Motor AF System
Optical Image Stabilizer
Internal Focus, Focus Range Limiter
Weather-Sealed Design, Fluorine Coating
Detachable, Rotatable Tripod Collar
Rounded 8-Blade Diaphragm

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM $1679 (Reg $1899)

Continue reading...

Last edited:
With the current 200 rebate, Adorama (and others) have it new for 1899. They will give you free shipping and no tax (unless you live in their state). Canon refurb will add tax no matter where you live and may or may not charge shipping. When you factor this in it is just as cheap to buy a new one as a refurbished one.

Upvote 0
With the current 200 rebate, Adorama (and others) have it new for 1899. They will give you free shipping and no tax (unless you live in their state). Canon refurb will add tax no matter where you live and may or may not charge shipping. When you factor this in it is just as cheap to buy a new one as a refurbished one.

I'm all for getting the best deal. Just want to point out, as someone's whose spent about a thousand bucks on refurb Canon gear in the past six months, it looks and operates like brand new. If you think about it, the refurb process means Canon workers review the equipment & operation one more time, at least, as they replace worn out parts, so it's like an additional quality control check over brand new gear. And you get the warranty, just in case.

But for best prices, might wanna wait for Canon's summer sale, which usually happens around 4th of July, either 10% or 15% off, including most refurb stuff.

Upvote 0
I'm all for getting the best deal. Just want to point out, as someone's whose spent about a thousand bucks on refurb Canon gear in the past six months, it looks and operates like brand new. If you think about it, the refurb process means Canon workers review the equipment & operation one more time, at least, as they replace worn out parts, so it's like an additional quality control check over brand new gear. And you get the warranty, just in case.

But for best prices, might wanna wait for Canon's summer sale, which usually happens around 4th of July, either 10% or 15% off, including most refurb stuff.
That's a fair point. Both of my camera bodies (two 5D4's) were purchased from Canon Refurb and one I think was during the sale you mention, so it was a great deal. I have also purchased a lens from them and it was, as you say, like new.

Upvote 0
By the way, I have this lens and it is fantastic - my favorite lens (as was the non-IS version I had that I replaced this with). If you have a version 2 then no need to switch to this version 3 which is the exact same lens with new coatings. But if you have version 1 IS or the non-IS (or don't have a 70-200 2.8 at all) then this is a great lens, whether you buy it refurb or new.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...They will give you free shipping and no tax (unless you live in their state)....

Both Adorama and B&H are now collecting sales taxes in at least 26 states (South Dakota vs. Wayfair). B&H has a program where they rebate you the taxes if you use their credit program. 30% APR if you fail to pay by the expiration date.

Upvote 0
Both Adorama and B&H are now collecting sales taxes in at least 26 states (South Dakota vs. Wayfair). B&H has a program where they rebate you the taxes if you use their credit program. 30% APR if you fail to pay by the expiration date.
Hmm, interesting. I just ordered a 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS from Adorama and there was free shipping and no tax to Arizona. (That is the reason I bought it over the Canon refurb version). Although with the continued decline in retail and increase in online sales, I don't blame states for forcing online retailers to collect sales tax.

Upvote 0

I generally prefer refurbished for the reason you mentioned. Very likely each unit has been more carefully looked at. Also, what someone else noted previous about tax is a mute point, because tax would be added for new or refurbished in some states. Or .. like Oregon here, Canon never charges me tax.

I've bought several lenses, a 5D mk iii and a 5DS refurbished from Canon.

Upvote 0
Get this or wait for the RF?

This is a good deal, but my Tamron 70-200mm is good enough that I can keep enjoying that one, and maybe wait for the RF version. I think the compact size of the RF is what appeals to me, because existing Tamron and Canon EF models are exceptional equipment already.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
That's a fair point. Both of my camera bodies (two 5D4's) were purchased from Canon Refurb and one I think was during the sale you mention, so it was a great deal. I have also purchased a lens from them and it was, as you say, like new.
My sense is that most of the Canon "refurb" stuff is, in fact, new and this is just Canon USA's way of countering the grey market. The prices are typically pretty consistent with grey market prices but you get a warranty so it is a good deal. The other thing you see here is a form of clearance sale because whenever there is a new model about to come out you see awesome prices on the old model so you can use really good deals to predict impending new models. I have bought a bunch of stuff from Canon refurb and it has all been flawless. If you spend more than $100 (and it's hard not to), the shipping is usually free. I live in a no sales tax state, so that is not an issue.

Upvote 0
Here is a good article from a former Canon reburb center manager explaining exactly what refurbished means. As many have said (or suspected), it goes through even more vigorous inspection than factory new items.

Upvote 0