M6 mk II review...

I'm not sure what alternative you have in mind (might be interesting to find out)...but one thing that a form factor must do is fit the human hand (or hands).
An off-body EVF similar to a camcorder would be a good start. A rotating grip might be another. I get the ergonomics thing but sometimes I think it has more to do with style rather than substance but that's a rant for another day I suppose. Good luck with the new cam. Let us know how it works out.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
An off-body EVF similar to a camcorder would be a good start. A rotating grip might be another. I get the ergonomics thing but sometimes I think it has more to do with style rather than substance but that's a rant for another day I suppose. Good luck with the new cam. Let us know how it works out.

I could see both of those, actually. (The the mechanics of the latter could be an interesting engineering challenge--but at least they won't have to work around spaces either side of the imaging area where there are the two ends of a strip of film! Maybe it could have been done any time after switching to digital.)

For what it's worth, the EVF on the Mk6 II seems to project backwards from the body a ways, making it easier to get your eye up against it. (I've not had the chance to play with that yet. Maybe when my local brick and mortar gets the M6 II in.) Yesterday, I felt a little bit like a contortionist for some reason using the M50 trying to get my eye close enough to get the viewfinder to switch on. I had never noticed that before. Maybe the sun was coming in from just the right angle (to the left and behind me) and hitting the sensor. My having a fairly big nose doesn't help either.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I've known the view finder (under other circumstances, like indoors) to turn on when I am trying to use the two finger gesture to zoom in, e.g., whilst checking focus or reviewing pictures. I tend to use my right hand for this, and the index finger ends up "northwest" of my thumb (so that my wrist is straight), thus the bottom of my hand gets too close to the viewfinder.

[edit--northeast to northwest, I seem to be getting east/west "dyslexia" more and more these days.]

Upvote 0
First time poster but long time lurker here. I downloaded some sample images of the M6 Mk ii and I was pretty impressed with what I saw. I shoot a 5D4 for my more "serious" work, but like something I can take on business trips that is small and light. I had an M3 at one time, but wasn't that impressed with it, sold it and bought a Fuji XT-2. The Fuji is a nice camera to shoot with, and the jpeg quality is great. I do NOT enjoy working the the raw files in Lr however.

Made the decision to order the M6 Mk ii, and sell my Fuji equipment. We will see but I think I'm going to like the change.

Yea I mentioned that earlier too I thought the files coming out of the new sensor looked great! Going off what I can see so far people measuring the sensor on 90D the actual dynamic range hasn't really changed but I thought when you lift shadows it looked noticeably better to the point where I think it might be better than my 5D4! Playing with raw files from 2 different sources (Fro Knows Photos and DP Review) applying +5 to exposure in Lightroom the shadow areas look remarkably clean no banding no blotches just nice luminous noise.

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
Yea I mentioned that earlier too I thought the files coming out of the new sensor looked great! Going off what I can see so far people measuring the sensor on 90D the actual dynamic range hasn't really changed but I thought when you lift shadows it looked noticeably better to the point where I think it might be better than my 5D4! Playing with raw files from 2 different sources (Fro Knows Photos and DP Review) applying +5 to exposure in Lightroom the shadow areas look remarkably clean no banding no blotches just nice luminous noise.

I looked at the shadows as well and I agree, didn't see any banding in the examples I looked at. Granted the images I found probably weren't what I would choose to testing that but the results looked pretty good regardless. Detail looked really good even at relatively high ISO (which I don't shoot much of anyway) and it seemed to sharpen up easily which was the biggest issue I had with Fuji RAF files.

Upvote 0
I looked at the shadows as well and I agree, didn't see any banding in the examples I looked at. Granted the images I found probably weren't what I would choose to testing that but the results looked pretty good regardless. Detail looked really good even at relatively high ISO (which I don't shoot much of anyway) and it seemed to sharpen up easily which was the biggest issue I had with Fuji RAF files.

Yea ISO at 6400 looked solid from DPR and I tried pushing it by 1 stop and file absolutely held up as well. Saw some very sharp looking portraits from Camera Labs samples too with the 32mm f/1.4. This new sensor is looking absolutely fantastic can't wait to see the FF version of it!

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
I've known the view finder (under other circumstances, like indoors) to turn on when I am trying to use the two finger gesture to zoom in, e.g., whilst checking focus or reviewing pictures. I tend to use my right hand for this, and the index finger ends up "northwest" of my thumb (so that my wrist is straight), thus the bottom of my hand gets too close to the viewfinder.

[edit--northeast to northwest, I seem to be getting east/west "dyslexia" more and more these days.]
The sensor is at the right side of the view finder window. Anything that come close to it will turn on the view finder and disable the touch screen when you are reviewing the picture.

Upvote 0