Canon officially announces the EOS M200

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
My take is that more cameras, the better. But, what I really want to know is if this was rumored , anticipated, and or even expected. Seems out of the blue and I kind of like that. A few more of these type of bodies and everyone with a 'Make it like so' wish from Canon might just get what they are asking for.
Nah. The biggest complainers are the least of the real users, or buyers. Spec sheets are a tangential hobby for some. ;) I think the Sony fanboys even pissed Ken Rockwell off. "...good for computer technicians who are more concerned about talking about their cameras rather than shoot it for a living every day."
Capture.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
In all seriousness, most vloggers don't use mic jacks. YouTubers much prefer a volumn bar displayed on the screen rather than presenting themselves wearing a pair of headphones.

Mick jack != headphone jack
My take is that more cameras, the better. But, what I really want to know is if this was rumored , anticipated, and or even expected.

About a month ago at least. There were earlier rumors about a casual/entry-level M body coming in near future but whether an M50 or M100 replacement was unknown.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Seriously, the M200 offers an impressive package for that price level. In my family there is a young lady (age 14) who is fed-up with her iPhone as a camera - she is quite a skilled photographer and videographer. She already asked me wether I can help her to get a used 5D3 - she is impressed by my battered old tank and loves to use it with fast glass. But I convinced her that a modern, smaller & lighter ILC camera would be the better choice for her. So I think an M200 would suit her needs perfectly, those video specs are not bad. There is enough M and adaptable glass on the market to have fun with such a camera. Plus, Canon's colors out of the box are very pleasing and their ergonomics are good.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2012
Clicking on the sponsor link (Adorama) reveals a $549.00 price for the 200/15-45 package.

This is an incredible value for a well-specced, almost tiny camera

Personally, I wish Canon would package the M200 with the much smaller and also cheaper EF-M 22 f/2 for say $499. Not a big fan of f/3.5-6.3 lenses...

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Personally, I wish Canon would package the M200 with the much smaller and also cheaper EF-M 22 f/2 for say $499. Not a big fan of f/3.5-6.3 lenses...

There are a lot of conflicting opinions on whether that 15-45 is a good lens, or junk. In the past, at least, they've had two kit options for M cameras, this lens, or (for more money) the 18-150. In fact I think those two options exist for the M6 II...starting tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Is it though? I mean, you can get a SL3 and lens for a hundred dollars more. Similar specs and it comes with a viewfinder and EF lens compatibility without an adapter. Not saying this isn't a nice little camera, just that it might not warrant two full "incredibles." Different bodies for different users I guess.

This one is pocketable with the 22mm, the 250D is not, no matter what.

Upvote 0
This is basically a M50 without viewfinder and hotshoe.
The M200 added almost everything the M50 had that the M100 didn't.

DIGIC 8, Eye AF, timelapse, automatic smartphone picture transfer, silent shutter, 4K and 120fps in 720p.

I guess the only thing that was left out is digital IS and mic jack.
Oh, and apparently it's lacking 24 fps in 1080p too. Seems like a trend to Canon.
This alone makes the M100 a better deal to me and a better backup for my M50 since it has 24p in FHD.
Time to check out some used M100 deals.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Despite the same sensor and processor, the M50 does not have eye-tracking AF in continuous mode (which is how you want to use it in the first place) and the firmware won't be updated either to make way for these newer models, which is annoying.
All of these various features put in different lower-end cameras could be put together in just one model (ideally, an EF-mount mirrorless camera with a fully articulating screen). If this replaced the M100 and M50 as well, the future is heading this way, but it's a long way until they decide to segment all of this less than now.

Upvote 0
Despite the same sensor and processor, the M50 does not have eye-tracking AF in continuous mode (which is how you want to use it in the first place) and the firmware won't be updated either to make way for these newer models, which is annoying, all of these various features put in different lower-end cameras could be put together in just one model. If this replaced the M100 and M50 as well, the future is heading this way, but it's a long way until they decide to segment all of this less than now.
The M50 also came with more advanced features than the flagship M5.
Canon tends to do this stuff with these lower tier cameras for some reason.
They don't hold features for newer models.
Too bad it's not a trend for their higher tier lineups.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
It might have 24p mode, becuase with its old 24mpx sensor tech, Canon is not able to get 30fps :)
Canon's decisions are all over the place. Seems like they are lazy with these cheaper cameras while people here trying to find logic behind it. Basically they DGAF about the settings in these slapped together cameras.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
This is basically a M50 without viewfinder and hotshoe.
The M200 added almost everything the M50 had that the M100 didn't.

DIGIC 8, Eye AF, timelapse, automatic smartphone picture transfer, silent shutter, 4K and 120fps in 720p.

I guess the only thing that was left out is digital IS and mic jack.
Oh, and apparently it's lacking 24 fps in 1080p too. Seems like a trend to Canon.
This alone makes the M100 a better deal to me and a better backup for my M50 since it has 24p in FHD.
Time to check out some used M100 deals.

Another thing this new camera doesn't have is the full "flippy" screen, unless I am missing something.

Which brings the question--if the M50 has the full flippy screen, why doesn't the M6 II?

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Despite the same sensor and processor, the M50 does not have eye-tracking AF in continuous mode (which is how you want to use it in the first place) and the firmware won't be updated either to make way for these newer models, which is annoying.

It's plenty enough for most people to shoot portraits in one-shot AF. A posing subject is typically a non-moving subject, and this camera is not aimed at catwalk, event, or action shooters. Now, pets on the other hand, that's where continuous AF definitely comes in handy, but I don't think Canon eye AF handles animal eyes yet!

Upvote 0