Canon’s image.canon cloud service is now live

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The image.canon cloud service went live yesterday. This is another online service from Canon as they appear to be motivated to find some sort of online storage solution.
image.canon is a cloud service designed to ease your imaging workflow, whether you are a professional, enthusiast, or casual user. Connecting your Wi-Fi compatible Canon camera to the image.canon service will allow you to seamlessly upload all your images and movies in their original format and quality and access them from the dedicated app or a web browser – and automatically forward them to your computer, mobile devices, and third party services.
Download for Android // Download for iOS

Compatible Canon Cameras:

EOS R
EOS Ra
EOS RP
EOS 5D Mark IV
EOS 6D...

Continue reading...

JBizzle

EOS R
Apr 15, 2020
I downloaded this and used it yesterday. In it's current state, it adds no value. 1) It is painfully slow (it took an 90 minutes to upload 50 RAW photos) to the cloud 2) This consumes the battery 3) The automatic download from the Cloud to Google Drive did not work 4) The automatic download from Cloud to Desktop did not work.

The idea is awesome, but it just doesn't work fast enough or with the automated capabilities it claims. In it's current state, this slows my workflow.

Upvote 0
While I commend Canon for attempting to ease file management workflows, I have to agree that this solution as it stands is pretty much useless. You need to be connected to a WiFi network, so it’s not like it’s a great backup solution for when you’re on location. And so if you are in a WiFi area, along with your computer, why on earth would you use the bandwidth to upload and then download Gigabytes and Gigabytes of data to and from Canon’s servers, when it would make much more sense and be much faster to transfer directly over the local network?

Making the Canon Connect app work more seemlessly and in the background would be a much, much better solution for most photographers.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm commenting without having tried it, but I'm not sure if this is ever going to be quicker for me than taking a card out of the camera, plugging it into a card reader and loading files directly into the their final resting place on my hard drive. Sure an on-the-fly second card slot would be nice, or sending files directly to an end client--if you work that way. Vacation photos to an on-line gallery maybe?

Dunno.

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2019
I downloaded this and used it yesterday. In it's current state, it adds no value. 1) It is painfully slow (it took an 90 minutes to upload 50 RAW photos) to the cloud 2) This consumes the battery 3) The automatic download from the Cloud to Google Drive did not work 4) The automatic download from Cloud to Desktop did not work.

The idea is awesome, but it just doesn't work fast enough or with the automated capabilities it claims. In it's current state, this slows my workflow.

I'm already very positive that they support the R, having said that I'm confident:
1. the R5 will have 5GHz Wifi and a faster processor, I'm sure that will address the speed issue by a factor (90--> 9min)
2. I think Canon wants to establish HEIF, so that's another 2-3x factor of speed (--> 3 min for 50 images)
3. Send to Google Drive worked for me, not yet automatically
4. app itself works pretty snappy and intuitive for a first live for such a complex product (tried some use cases for myself)

Last time I was on my Japan trip, i had a portable 3G router with me for 10 USD a week, I took 3k images, so all assumptions from above thats 3h upload at once, or half an hour every day.
A wedding photographer maybe takes 500 GB of images & video's a day across 4 cameras: that's 2000 min across 4 cameras --> 8.33h upload each (probably blocking each other's upload stream), don't think that works - maybe no video then.

So as a prosumer/travel/Getty photographer, its pretty exciting!

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Any cloud based solution like this is always going to rely on the wifi connection which if at home or on a normal wifi network will be ok but when out and about and using a 4g/ wifi hotspot etc is likely to be slow at best and probably unusable.

As CJudge says, if you are using a wifi network say at home or in a hotel, why do this when you can just use the card to download straight to storage? Unless there is going to be some sort of robust and fast method of transferring files while out and about, I suspect this solution will be for emergencies and not be a viable day to day solution, especially with the drain on the battery.

Upvote 0
I'm commenting without having tried it, but I'm not sure if this is ever going to be quicker for me than taking a card out of the camera, plugging it into a card reader and loading files directly into the their final resting place on my hard drive. Sure an on-the-fly second card slot would be nice, or sending files directly to an end client--if you work that way. Vacation photos to an on-line gallery maybe?

Dunno.
But just imagine a teenager who grew up with smartphone buys a prosumer cam, SD into laptop is alien to them. Sure it's faster for now, its like using a typewriter instead of a computer for writing a letter... I have never used a typewriter for that, but i'm sure it's faster than writing a letter, just image what other use cases are enabled this way... the future starts now

Upvote 0
I think Canon is planning for the future here i.e. internal 5G sim card. In the current state it is not very functional but lets not forget it has just been over 24 hours since release. Currently my main complaint is that it does not do automatic upload. You need to specify a specific image, date range or all items every time you want to upload. I would like them to upload as they are taken and if no known wifi is available then to auto batch upload once you are in range of one. Though this has battery concerns. I would also like the option to say only upload images. Syncing to Google Drive worked for me, but only for images uploaded after it was linked.

There are surely some professional uses cases here but I think it will mainly be geared towards consumers/prosumers. I personally would love to be able to take a picture while on vacation and within a few seconds pull up my phone, have the image on Google Photos where I can do a quick edit and share with family all seamlessly. Unfortunately this will probably only be a reality once we have cellular on the camera.

Upvote 0
the future starts now
Sure, and for some this will be a big deal.

I guess I'm just sitting here wishing Canon would put a tripod foot on their TS lenses and wondering if that's such a old-world mechanical thing that it will never appear on their radar. Doesn't seem like a huge ask to me, but I see all the energy and resources pouring into this stuff and get jealous...

Upvote 0
I can´t see the advantages of the service. Can someone explain it to me? You need to be connected to a wi-fi or some other internet connection. I´m trying it at home, where I have a 600mb wi-fi internet connection. It needs like 45 minutos to upload 38 files. What is the benefit versus download it to my computer and then upload to my Google Drive?

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
I can´t see the advantages of the service. Can someone explain it to me? You need to be connected to a wi-fi or some other internet connection. I´m trying it at home, where I have a 600mb wi-fi internet connection. It needs like 45 minutos to upload 38 files. What is the benefit versus download it to my computer and then upload to my Google Drive?
Many people dont know this but the upstream speed of home internet connections is not same as downstream speed(based on which ISPs charge you for plans and that is what is advertised). It is fraction of that speed and thats why everyone will say uploads are slow. At my home I pay for 50Mbps internet plan but the upstream speed is only 512kbps and even uploading a single jpeg(~5MB) takes ~80secs or so for me. Just check the statistics of your internet connection on data connection page of router/modem to find out at what speed the files will be uploaded from client end to server end.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Doesn't work for me; can't connect to Canon Image Gateway. Someone wrote on the official Canon forums that the Canon Image Gateway has been shut down (Canon said it would be) and the replacement server for image.canon is not up yet. Soon, probably. Or perhaps it was up, and then went down, as I see above that some are saying they succeeded in trying it.

gateway_login.png

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
You need to be connected to a WiFi network, so it’s not like it’s a great backup solution for when you’re on location.

You can use your phone or a mobile router as a portable wifi hotspot, and use it to transfer images to the remote server. Then you or someone else can download them to a computer from it. Or move them to another supported storage.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Many people dont know this but the upstream speed of home internet connections is not same as downstream speed (based on which ISPs charge you for plans and that is what is advertised). It is fraction of that speed and thats why everyone will say uploads are slow.

Indeed. In Israel, the upload speed is 5-10% the download speed. Furthermore, smartphone data plans are usually limited with exceptions, say unlimited traffic for certain popular apps, such as whatsapp and facebook, with the rest is limited to 50GB per month.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Chaitanya.
Doesn’t upload speed depend on whether you have ADSL or SDSL? SDSL should give the same both up and down.

Cheers, Graham.

Many people dont know this but the upstream speed of home internet connections is not same as downstream speed(based on which ISPs charge you for plans and that is what is advertised). It is fraction of that speed and thats why everyone will say uploads are slow. At my home I pay for 50Mbps internet plan but the upstream speed is only 512kbps and even uploading a single jpeg(~5MB) takes ~80secs or so for me. Just check the statistics of your internet connection on data connection page of router/modem to find out at what speed the files will be uploaded from client end to server end.

Upvote 0