Canon Software Solution Allows Select EOS Interchangeable Lens Cameras to Function as High-Quality USB Webcam

TracerHD

Canon EOS R1 Pro
Aug 22, 2019
Works with Canon EOS 700D /T5i.
In Video Mode: performance is as good as you can expect it from a non-DPAF camera
In regulary mode the picture is very laggy.

I just installed the software and chose the "EOS webcam utilities beta" as webcam-device in Zoom, OBS,...
The software don't have any UI where you can configurate things. It's more an passive plugin / interface.

Upvote 0
Better than social media, a Canon Support representative has said he understands a Mac version is under development -- posting #85 on this page:
https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/...affiliate&utm_source=VigLink&utm_term=6149335

A number of people have mentioned they've downloaded the version for <name a camera model>, but isn't it, in fact, the same software irrespective of which camera you're going to use?

It'd be a pretty horrible solution if you had to use particular versions for each model of camera you might connect!

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Ok, I’ll try, hmm I’m going with the toshiba? Did my psychic powers work?

Cheers, Graham.

I run double laptops simultaneously to better monitor users and chats, so I can choose between the webcam on my MacBook Pro and my Toshiba Portégé. As such, I know which webcam does a clearly better job.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Better than social media, a Canon Support representative has said he understands a Mac version is under development -- posting #85 on this page:
https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/...affiliate&utm_source=VigLink&utm_term=6149335

A number of people have mentioned they've downloaded the version for <name a camera model>, but isn't it, in fact, the same software irrespective of which camera you're going to use?

It'd be a pretty horrible solution if you had to use particular versions for each model of camera you might connect!

Yes it is, that's why it also works with other models (that aren't on the supported list).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RGB86

Canon EOS R
Aug 3, 2019
Philadelphia
Really sour way to kick off a topic discussion. Yes, Canon has been properly shamed by your scolding.

Jesus, who pissed in your Cheerios this morning?

I was just pointing out that DSLRs have been able to pass a video signal to a host PC for a while now, so it's baffling that they never just enabled users to select it as a video device. It's not like Canon makes capture cards that this would cannibalize, and it seems a really obvious feature.

It's nice to see Canon finally offering this; hopefully all manufacturers do going forward.

Upvote 0

xanbarksdale

Canon Collector
CR Pro
Jul 18, 2019
Kentucky
For all the Apple users...

I just thought I'd follow up on this. I literally bought this on Tuesday morning from Amazon and it's supposed to work great (not an affiliate link):

https://www.amazon.com/pengo-Grabbe...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I first saw it reviewed by Max Yuryev on his video about live streaming. Amazon had been sold out and just received a shipment on Tuesday. I can't speak for the quality yet, but from watching his video it looks to be a pretty simple solution.

P.S. I currently have the Black Magic Ultra Studio Mini and go through OBS. I'm hoping this is a simple solution for Skype, Zoom, etc.

Upvote 0
I'm using it on the EOS R in Malaysia so is definitely not US specific. Make sure EOS utility is not installed and the camera is in movie mode. For the R, it seems to charge a bit off the USB-C port so for me, battery life isn't really draining fast. Is definitely going to be ideal with webinars etc where I'm the co-host or host - the video quality is way better and professional looking with a shallow DOF.

Upvote 0